BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-05-2017, 11:35 AM

I definitely don't think the left picture displays a leaner physique. Look at the shoulders and chest area.
Unread 04-05-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
I definitely don't think the left picture displays a leaner physique. Look at the shoulders and chest area.
You've gotten leaner. Definitely good progress for the amount of time you put in. You aren't spinning your wheels, these things take forever in real life.
Unread 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM

4/5/2017
Weight: 174, 1st; 168, 2nd

I suppose I never gave a general outline of the current cutting plan I'm following.
Monday - 2,000 calories, 200-240P, 150-200C, Minimal fat
Lifting: Upper body
Cardio: 20-40 minutes LISS (usually try to hit 40 if time permits)
Tuesday - 1,800 calories, 200-240P, 100-150C, Minimal fat
Lifting: Lower body
Cardio 20-40 minutes LISS
Wednesday - 1,500 calories, 200-240P, minimal carbs, >30g fat
Lifting: None
Cardio: SFP 2.0
Thursday - 2,000 calories, 200-240P, 150-200C, Minimal fat
Lifting: Upper body
Cardio: 20-40 minutes LISS
Friday - 1,800 calories, 200-240P, 150-200C, Minimal fat
Lifting: Lower body
Cardio: 20-40 minutes LISS
Saturday - 1,500 calories, 200-240P, minimal carbs, >30g fat
Cardio: SFP 2.0
Sunday - Refeed at 2,500-2,800 calories. ~180P, ~400C, <50g fat
Cardio: 1 hour of LISS if time permits

I tend to miss a day or two of LISS if my school schedule interferes. Sometimes, I will do 60 minutes instead of 20-40 the following day to make up for it. Estimated maintenance is 2,500 calories, so this ends up being a pretty hefty deficit. 4,400 not including cardio, and some of my cardio workouts can get close to the 1,000 calorie mark.

Anyway,

Strange day today. Weighed in at 174, which I thought was a little high given this is my low calorie day and I weighed in at 172 the same time last week. Did a killer round of SFP 2.0, and when I weighed myself afterward, my weight had dropped all the way down to 168! Crazy how much you can sweat out in an hour and a half. This is the first time I've been under 170 since starting this log, so it feels good. At the same time, it feels a little bittersweet because I still feel I have a decent amount of fat left to lose, so my LBM estimate may have been too high to start with :/

On the bright side, many online calculators say my maximum LBM is around 180, which means I still could gain 30-40 lbs of LBM! Given peak muscle mass is generally obtained around age 24-25, and I am 21, I believe once I've leaned out enough to gain a reasonable proportion of muscle:fat, I can start riding the hormonal train to victory via a controlled bulking/cutting cycle.
Unread 05-25-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Update

Well, it's been awhile since I updated this log. Been pretty religious about sticking to the plan I outlined in my previous post, and I feel like I made some significant progress.

Below are some progress images I took last week:

Front unflexed:
http://imgur.com/5Et8oLl
Front flexed:
http://imgur.com/Kqfmbkl
Back unflexed:
http://imgur.com/PnxqEFr
Back flexed:
http://imgur.com/QI6e0Yp

I decided to run an 8 week cycle of UD2 to finally bring out the final shreds in time for my trip to Chicago and then Holland in late July and August, but after a week of it, I don't see it fitting my lifestyle at the moment. Since I was getting progress with what I was doing before, I'm just going to keep plugging away. Nothing too interesting here, but I'm definitely proud of the progress I made.

For any readers, I do wonder if you all believe I have enough lean mass to cut to single digits without it becoming a case of looking like a skeleton. I've been feeling rather small lately, but I would love to cut about 8 more lbs to get to around 7% or so. Don't want to start gaining during the summer, but I also don't want to make no progress for the next 3 months.

Last edited by PhysiologyIsPhun : 05-25-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Unread 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM

Hm thats a nice zig zagging diet kinda psmf eod ish with 4 days. I should do that to shed my fat gut
Unread 07-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Default Update

I've definitely leaned out a little more since the last pictures posted although I've only lost about 2-3 lbs since then. Will get around to posting progress pictures at some point. Starting 2 back - to - back rounds of category 1 RFL Monday, July 10. Planning on running the first round until July 21 followed by the recommended 3 day refeed (weekend trip to Chicago is set up for this weekend, so this will be perfectly timed). After I return on the 24th, I will pick the diet back up again and perform it until August 5, at which point I will be leaving for Holland. I realize this is ill - advised, but I would like to cut ~6 more lbs before I leave to Holland. Going to start logging on here more throughout these RFL runs just to keep me sane.

This time in, I'm going to have a set diet schedule to adhere to, so I don't accidentally go over on carbs or fats.

The diet looks like this:
Meal 1: 2 cups egg whites w/ buffalo sauce and diced onions. 1/4 cup FF mozzarella
Meal 2: Mexican vegetable soup (basically zucchini, peppers and red onion) and 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast baked in chicken stock
Meal 3: Same as meal 2
Meal 4: 2 cups of Kroger carbmaster vanilla yogurt and 1 scoop of whey protein. This has about 20g carbs, but I'm gonna need this before bed if I want to sleep.

Don't have the exact calculations pulled up, but the total daily calorie intake was ~1250 calories with 260g of protein. Right in the middle of RFL for my level of LBM (~150 lbs).

Will be performing 2 UD2 style depletion workouts at the beginning of each cycle. This will be followed by a full body tension style workout on days 4, 8, and 11 of each cycle as well as a power workout on the final day of the first carb load (and hopefully second if I can find a gym in Holland). Targeting burning 600 calories extra a day through increased activity or LISS (inevitably, most will end up being done on an incline treadmill). This should net me a fat loss of ~1/2 lb per day. or 12 pounds over 2 cycles. Accounting for metabolic slowdown and other wonky stuff that happens, I think this will be about perfect for me to lose a good 6-8 lbs just in time for my trip.

I will try to get some before pictures posted to allow everyone to compare what 2 back - to - back cycles of category 1 RFL can do. Stay tuned.
Unread 08-31-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Post - Trip Report

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I posted. The trip was absolutely phenomenal, and now my Master's program is in full swing. While in Holland, I did a "diet break" of sorts and lifted when I could. As most of the nutrition labels were difficult to read, and we were extremely busy throughout the trip, I was unable to track my intake accurately. Instead, I essentially focused on consuming lean protein sources whenever available and taking the meal I believed would have the most protein/calories for each meal eaten out. I was also able to hit the gym 4 times throughout the duration of my 2 week trip, so the muscle loss wasn't too bad. We were extremely active on the trip, averaging 20k-30k steps every day. Overall, I'd say I did a fairly good job maintaining my weight. I will say I came back ~5 lbs heavier, but I pin this down to being in a depleted state nearly the entire last 2 months prior to my trip. There was some noticeable fat gain in the lower abdominal area, and a minor amount of water weight bloating which has gone away since resuming dieting once I came home.

I am now using a new scale to weigh myself as I have moved. Given the variation between scales, it's difficult to tell how much weight was actually gained/lost during the trip. Regardless, I will begin logging my progress using this upcoming Monday as the "starting point" for the new log. I plan to cut for 6 more weeks from Monday (I've been back and dieting for about 2 weeks), at which point I will take a diet break and assess whether it is time to start a lean gaining phase or not.

Here are my stats as of today:

Weight: 176 lbs
BF: ~12% (visual, I'm bad with calipers)

The diet plan from here will resemble the same plan I was using in the past that seemed to work the best for me.

Monday: 2,000 calories, 200P/200C/45F
Tuesday: 1,800 calories, 200P/150C/45F
Wednesday: 1,500 calories, 200P/100C/33F
Thursday: 2,000 calories, 200P/200C/45F
Friday: 1,800 calories, 200P/150C/45F
Saturday: 1,500 calories, 200P/100C/33F
Sunday: Diet variable. Optional refeed, 200P/450C/30F depending on how run-down I'm feeling. If not refeeding, macros will vary between Monday and Wednesday macros.

The workout plan I will be following is a reduced volume GBR routine with some SFP and depletion work thrown in.

Monday: Upper body, reduced volume GBR. 2x6-8 for compound movements, 2x10-12 for isolation movements. Wrap up with 9x15 depletion - style sets spread out amongst chest press, cable/machine row, lateral raises, biceps curls and tricep extension
Tuesday: Lower body, reduced volume GBR. Same rep scheme as upper body workout.
Wednesday: SFP 2.0 in the morning
Thursday: Same as Monday
Friday: Same as Tuesday; replace squats/SLDL with sumo deadlift/front squat
Saturday: SFP 2.0 in the morning
Sunday: Rest, optional LISS

In addition to the above workouts, I will be incorporating 20-40 minutes of fasted LISS in the morning when time permits. Most days, I will have time for this. I'm hoping this will keep things moving and offset any metabolic slowdown that occurs.

The supplements are at a bare minimum this time around. Basically, just 20mg E/200mg C 3x daily One of these doses is taken before my lifting workout. I am out of yohimbine, but I may purchase some more and begin taking it prior to my fasted LISS and SFP runs. If I begin taking yohimbine, I will incorporate tyrosine as well. This stack will be 15mg Y/3g T/200mg C.

Being in a new town with a bustling social life, drinking 1-2 times a week will unfortunately be something I will need to fit in. I know it's bad for recomposition, but I'm not about to become one of those shut - in bodybuilders. That said, I have begun to really focus on drinking slowly and in moderation when consuming alcohol. I have found the best nights tend to occur when I haven't downed a 12 - pack prior to going out. On the days I drink, I usually know in advance, and I follow Martin Berkhan's protocol for drinking. This means high protein intake, extremely low carb and low fat, and a focus on dry liquors and spirits with no additional calories outside of the alcohol. On these days, I generally still end up in a deficit, essentially with the carbs and fats being replaced with alcohol calories and still meeting my protein requirements.

So we'll see how it goes! I'm really still hoping to make it near the 160 mark before I start a lean bulk, but as winter fast approaches, my desire to have a chiseled six-pack is fading and has been replaced with the desire to not feel run down from dieting all the time and to actually start gaining strength again. I figure as long as I have a nice four-pack and some nice shoulder striations, I'm doing well.
Unread 10-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Default Status Update

Coming off of a 6 week slight surplus following a push - pull - legs routine (never posted what I was doing here because my "bulks" are pretty boring). Pre - surplus, my weight was floating between 176 and 180. Now I hover between 180 and 186. I'd say that's right on par with what I was shooting for for these surplus weeks. Been getting a lot stronger, and once the water weight gain and creatine loading are accounted for, I probably only gained 3-4 lbs of actual tissue.

This being said, I am beginning to become dissatisfied with my lower abdominal appearance. Little bit too much fat coming on back there. I've always found that high deficits for short durations are the best option for me, so for the next 6 weeks, I will be following my own sort of RFL protocol.

Basically, it's RFL with a little bit of extra fats allowed and 2 refeeds per week. This is because I'm in category 1, but category 1 RFL sucks and I've had great success in the past following a pretty strict category 2. The extra refeed is just to account for the lower bodyfat.

Macros will look something like this:

Diet days:
200-300g protein
<50g fat
<20g carbs
Meaning the upper limit for calories would be ~1700, and the lower limit would be ~900. Obviously, I'm going to try to be more on the 900 side of things, but I'm not going to stress if it floats closer to 1700.

Refeed days:
160-200g protein
>400g carbs
<20g fat

Should put me around 2500-2800 calories. I've estimated my maintenance at 2300 calories, so this should be a proper refeed.

On the 2 refeed days, I'm going to attempt to apply some logic I've read in bodyopus and UD2 that will hopefully lead to a nice muscle retention effect. The workout for the day will be Lyle's recommended full body protocol for RFL. I'll be consuming 2 pieces of fruit 30-60 minutes before the workout in an attempt to elevate liver glycogen enough to get my body in glycogen - burning mode for the workout. This should leave my body in a nice, depleted state post workout, allowing the refeed carbs to go primarily to glycogen storage. How much of a difference this will make is up for debate, but we'll see.

On top of this, I'll be performing 20-40 minutes of fasted LISS every morning as long as I have time. Really taking it easy because I know how low calorie diets wreck my energy.

Supplements:
6 caps fish oil ED
1 multivitamin ED
Copious amounts of sodium and potassium as needed
EC 25/200mg 3x/day
YC 15/200mg prior to cardio

If anyone's interested in the dosing schedule, it will probably look something like this:

YC at 8am, fasted cardio following.
EC at 10am,2pm,6pm

I've never really had a problem dosing ephedrine two hours after yohimbine although common recommendation is to wait at least four hours (the other way around is a bad time though). The half life is less than an hour, so it should be almost completely eliminated after 2 hours.

As the deficit is fairly aggressive, I only plan to run this for 6 weeks, proceeded by a 2 week maintenance period. I'll probably do a slight surplus after but we'll see when we get there.
Unread 10-26-2017, 01:23 PM

This has been by far the easiest RFL - style deficit I've ever run. I have a feeling it's because my hormones finally had a chance to normalize after my surplus period. Obviously, 2 week diet breaks are great. But I wonder if a longer period is needed after an extremely long duration of dieting with intermittent 2 week breaks. Something like a 6 week break every 6 months or something. I dunno, just some random thoughts.
Unread 03-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Back on the Diet Train for Summer

Been awhile since I posted. I've spent the majority of the past ~3 months on a slight calorie surplus attempting to gain some mass.
My results:
Deadlift 5RM: 365->425
Squat 5RM: 325 -> 375
Bench 8RM: 175 -> 190
Bodyweight: 176->182

A bit disappointed with the lack of bench gains, but I think I finally have this whole gaining thing down. I managed to keep the weight gain under control while adding a lot of weight to my lower body lifts and a decent amount to my upper body. For this dieting phase, muscle maintenance is going to be my primary goal as I don't have an awful lot of fat to lose. I'd clock myself somewhere around 14-15% bf at the moment (honestly once the calories drop and some water comes off, I'll probably look more like 12-13). I'm going to cut down to ~170 (maybe slightly lower) hopefully by mid - May to early June and maintain that for the duration of the summer. I'm going to follow the same zig-zag alternating PSMF style of diet that I did in the past as it always works so well.

I anticipate a decent setback sometime in late April as I'm going to undergo a minor surgery and will be unable to lift for 2-4 weeks. Not sure if I should continue dieting at that time or go to maintenance for faster recovery. My gut instinct says I should do maintenance, but I'll likely talk to my doctor about it before making a final decision.

Stay tuned. The summer shreds are gonna be real this year.