BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-02-2018, 07:23 AM

Default Constrained Energy Model

Anyone familiar with the constrained energy model, which basically says energy output increases at a decreasing rate, rather than linearly as the body adapts.

Is this just decreased NEAT or actually possible? Empirically, it seems to play out, but theoretically sounds illogical.
Unread 03-02-2018, 07:35 AM

There is indirect work showing that TDEE doesn't increase as much as you'd expect in response to exercise. In some models, it's like 55%. So you add 400 calories of exercise but TDEE only goes up by like 220 calories. Presumably the body is adapting elsewhere. Since it's not RMR or TEF, that means NEAT adjusts.

It's actually called The Exercise Paradox by Pontzer.

Pontzer is talking specifically about the fact that adding exercise often doesn't increase total daily energy expenditure in the way you'd expect.

So assume the system is stastic. TDEE is 2500 cal/day. You add 300 calories/day of exercise. Theoretically your TDEE is at 2800. But it doesn't always work out that way. Some other component (i.e. NEAT) goes down and in many cases you maybe raise TDEE by half of the predicted.

Last edited by zLeeKo : 03-02-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Unread 03-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
There is indirect work showing that TDEE doesn't increase as much as you'd expect in response to exercise. In some models, it's like 55%. So you add 400 calories of exercise but TDEE only goes up by like 220 calories. Presumably the body is adapting elsewhere. Since it's not RMR or TEF, that means NEAT adjusts.

It's actually called The Exercise Paradox by Pontzer.

Pontzer is talking specifically about the fact that adding exercise often doesn't increase total daily energy expenditure in the way you'd expect.

So assume the system is stastic. TDEE is 2500 cal/day. You add 300 calories/day of exercise. Theoretically your TDEE is at 2800. But it doesn't always work out that way. Some other component (i.e. NEAT) goes down and in many cases you maybe raise TDEE by half of the predicted.
Thanks for response. That makes practical sense.
Unread 03-02-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
Thanks for response. That makes practical sense.
No problem. It's a very good question, we discussed it on Lyle's FB group couple of times. If you're in the group, there's some really good info about it.
Unread 03-02-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
No problem. It's a very good question, we discussed it on Lyle's FB group couple of times. If you're in the group, there's some really good info about it.
Will do and thanks again.

Inevitably, past dieting failures always resulted by adding calories (even very conservatively) while adding cardio. It never seemed to work out, even though (55 VO2 max) in decent cardio shape.

Have you experienced similar things?

Time to move less (but still a lot relative to average sedentary person) and eat less. Good times ahead.
Unread 03-02-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Time to move less (but still a lot relative to average sedentary person) and eat less. Good times ahead.
Exactly.

I was always cautious while adding cardio on diet, even in form of LISS cardio. I don't like to compensate extra calories by adding cardio, for all the reasons explained above.
Unread 03-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Anyone familiar with the constrained energy model, which basically says energy output increases at a decreasing rate, rather than linearly as the body adapts.

Is this just decreased NEAT or actually possible? Empirically, it seems to play out, but theoretically sounds illogical.
Why does it sound theoretically illogical? If I make you do 600 calories of hard exericse, why wouldn't your body likely adapt by reducing NEAT?
Unread 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Why does it sound theoretically illogical? If I make you do 600 calories of hard exericse, why wouldn't your body likely adapt by reducing NEAT?
I must of misunderstood the article, probably.

Thought it may have been alluding to energy output decreasing (via increased levels of activity after a threshold point) while holding NEAT constant.

Time to invest in reading comprehension class for me.
Unread 03-03-2018, 12:07 AM

I think there is work showing that this holds especially for high Levels of physical activity, which is something Lyle also talkend about in the context of how Bad it is to combine high activity with low calories. I experienced it myself Last year, where forcing myself into insane levels of activity (40.000 steps plus gym Daily) at 9 cal/Lb did not bring results it should have in terms of theoretical cal deficit or body fat loss. I think going for moderat-ish activity while keeping cal lower is way better in terms of predictability of weight and fat loss.
Unread 03-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkord View Post
I think there is work showing that this holds especially for high Levels of physical activity, which is something Lyle also talkend about in the context of how Bad it is to combine high activity with low calories. I experienced it myself Last year, where forcing myself into insane levels of activity (40.000 steps plus gym Daily) at 9 cal/Lb did not bring results it should have in terms of theoretical cal deficit or body fat loss. I think going for moderat-ish activity while keeping cal lower is way better in terms of predictability of weight and fat loss.
Interesting. In your experiment, what was actual vs predicted weight loss? Over how long of a period?