BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-28-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Flexy Tweak

I'm looking for help in tweaking my diet. Little information on me.

41 y/o
Male
166 lbs.
5'9"
~9-10%
FBW 3x's per week
Cardio 2x's per week (Stubborn fat protocol)
Lifting for 15 yrs.

I've tried UD2 (7 and 14 day versions) and always seemed to mess up the carb load. Lose 6 lbs during the week, then get it all back with the carb load. Wouldn't lose all of it until the next one came around. I have also tried PSFM for a couple of months with some success but stalled at 172 lbs. Five weeks ago I got the Flexy Diet book and started incorporating 5 hr. refeeds on lift days 2x's a week (CAT1) and it has worked great so far. I've been refeeding at 2gms/lbm, primarily bagels and oats. On non lift days, I'm doing a strict PSFM. I have gotten down to 166 as of today and I can see a good bit more definition all over. Lifts are even up in squat and bench. Here is what I'm currently doing diet wise.

On my lift/refeed days (Mo and Fr), my diet is:

P 198
C 292
F 35
2400 cals

PSFM Days (Tu, Thur, Sa @ Su)

P 173
C 12
F 23
1100 cals

Lift Day (Wed.,all carbs around workout)

P 173
C 87
F 23
1350 Cals

Thing is, almost all of this happened in the first two, three weeks of incorporating refeeds. One massive whoosh I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my success with the Flexible Dieting so far, what I'd like to know is, what do I need to tweak to keep the ball rolling? I do know it'll be slow going. Do I raise or lower carbs in refeeds, more easy cardio? What? Lyle, and input would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Administrator

don't change a thing until what you're doing stops working
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:00 AM

Yeah, I plan to continue what I'm currently doing until I no longer see progress. I just wanted to have an idea on some courses of action when I stall. I'll post back when that happens.
Unread 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Administrator

my gut would be either

a. reduce calories
b. increase cardio IF you can't handle cutting calories further
Unread 03-19-2008, 01:43 PM

Ok, it's 3 weeks later and I'm down another 2 lbs. I've actually been stationary for the past week and a half so Iím ready to make small adjustments to keep this thing going. Lyle, you said your gut was to either lower cals or increase cardio. My questions are:

1. If I lower calories, do I lower carbs on my refeed days? I think that my progress has a lot to do with a hormonal change. Before I started twice weekly refeeds, I was eating the same thing I currently eat on my low calorie days. Now Iím eating more two days a week and losing the fat.

2. If this is the best place to take them, what should I shoot for calorie and macro wise? Take the cals from carbs, protein or some from both?

3. Cardio. I can handle another day of cardio if you think this would be more beneficial than cutting calories. Iíll stick with your SFP if thatís the case.

Thanks for your advice.
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Bump.Bump.Bump.
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

sorry, missed this

reduce calories/increase activity on the NON-refeed days. basically you'll end up with a week with very low alories on the lowcal days and very high on the high cal

when I was using this kind of approach, my calories were around 8 cal/lb + 1 hour easy cardio on diet days and very high (due to the refeeds) on refeed days

making them all medium doesn't work as well IMO as you don't get the benefit of the refeeding
Unread 03-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the response Lyle. I've already incorporated and additional 40 min of SS cardio a few times a week on my low cal days. I have to ask one more question. With this weekend being Easter, I ate differently from what I normally do. On my Friday refeed day I had a larger meal at night than normal (Thai food w/lotsa rice and this was in addition to my normal oats and bagel) and Sunday naturally I had dessert, namely a very large piece of cake. Let me say again, large. I had put on 4 pounds when I weighed Monday morning. Weight was at 168. Now, on Thursday afternoon I'm at 161. WTF? My definition is the best its ever been, especially the morning after a refeed. What could have led to such a drop, because this is definitely not normal for me. Do you think it would be beneficial to increase cals/carbs on refeed days, and continue to keep cals the same on my low days or am I off base here?
Unread 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

that isa nother possible option although at some point, calories can get too excessive on teh refeed days. how much is too much? see how high you can push thm without regaining fat or still losing fat.

as to the magic 7 lb drop, well...welcome the world of the whoosh
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Hey waren. Just wanted to check in with you to see if you had come up with any conclusions on your "tweaked" protocol.

When you first posted it, it looked very similar to what I have been considering for a maintenance plan, coming off RFL.

Anyway, what did you finally deicide to do? What results did you see? What are your stats (begining/ending), and would you recommend this for a maintenance plan??

Thanks in advance.

Also, why only 2 refeeds on lift days(as opposed to 3)....minimizing fat gain I assume
What are your main source of carbs
How soon PWO do you try to have your carbs consumed by (2hrs, 3...)

Last edited by Strong : 04-02-2008 at 11:03 AM.