BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Soya Mince (Textured vegetable protein)

This good protein? On a PSMF and its so cheap that im using it as my main protein source.

per 100g dry weight = 51g protein, 21carbs and 2g fat.

Tag along carbs arn't great but w/e, id rather save cash and slow down weight loss by a tinyyyyy ammount.
Unread 03-05-2009, 07:06 AM

That's a horrible protein choice for a PSMF. You want cheap, do egg whites and tuna.
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to akwaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisj206 View Post
This good protein? On a PSMF and its so cheap that im using it as my main protein source.

per 100g dry weight = 51g protein, 21carbs and 2g fat.

Tag along carbs arn't great but w/e, id rather save cash and slow down weight loss by a tinyyyyy ammount.
Worst thing about it is, veggie protein is less digestible than animal protein, so you'd have to eat even more of that stuff to get adequate protein, thus further increasing the tagalong carbs and further slowing your fat loss.

Also, canned chicken is decent and cheap.
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
That's a horrible protein choice for a PSMF. You want cheap, do egg whites and tuna.
Eggs in UK at 10p per egg at cheapest.
Tuna is 55p/can (185g undrained gets about 100g tuna).

Why is it a horrible protein source on a PSMF btw?

Canned chicken doesnt exsist in UK sadly. this forum makes me want to go to USA, you guys have such a huge choice of products(Specially low carb etc).
Unread 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Over here in the NLs we do have frozen prepared chicken for decent low prices.. but then again, we often say that the NLs is like Little America (very stiff competition when it comes to supermarkets). Cheap & lean protein however is NOT part of the equation.. but there is some choice.

I'm buying 30 eggs for 3 euro (you do the math) in an ethnic shop, while the same amount of eggs would cost me at least 6 euros. Maybe look around yourself at ethnic shops too.
Unread 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM
JimR

Costco canned chicken FTW.
Unread 03-05-2009, 02:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

Aldi currently have 12 eggs (from caged birds) for 99p.

Blog
Unread 03-06-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisj206 View Post
Why is it a horrible protein source on a PSMF btw?
It's way too high in carbs.

I live in Europe, I know prices are higher compared to the States. But when you're on a PSMF, you're not eating much of anything else, so grocery costs aren't going to be higher than if you were eating a more moderate diet.

Instead of spending your extra cash on candy bars that sit on your computer desk and taunt you, why not instead use it to buy some good lean protein?
</tough love>
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:48 AM

JimR - Hmm ill check the UK Costco, have to get a card to get acess to that place though(companys only).

Nigee - Sounds good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
It's way too high in carbs.

I live in Europe, I know prices are higher compared to the States. But when you're on a PSMF, you're not eating much of anything else, so grocery costs aren't going to be higher than if you were eating a more moderate diet.

Instead of spending your extra cash on candy bars that sit on your computer desk and taunt you, why not instead use it to buy some good lean protein?
</tough love>
Yeah europe seems to suck for dieting vs USA (Huge range of products, etc).

So its just the fact it has tag along carbs, not that its a awfull protein source? or the phytoestrogens that people seem to bang on about(Whats lyles view on soya?).

Ah the cakes/chocolate that teases me is purchased by my parents lol, sadly my house is full of junk!

I can afford lean protein, it's just i'd rather save the money. Plus i really love soya mince, i could live on this stuff - tastes awesome.
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:31 PM

If you are vegetarian, TVP is a very good source of protein. The good thing with TVP is that it cooks in about 2 minutes and is can be used pretty much as a replacement for brown rice, for example with steamed or curried veggies. I use it on all my depletion days instead of rice to get my protein without blowing my carb budget.

"If I don't practice the way I should, then I won't play the way that I know I can." - Ivan Lendl