BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default Another Look at Metabolic Damage

Article on the main site
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:38 AM

Link is a bit "wonky"
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:38 AM

I'm getting a 404 Not Found from that link.

"The requested URL /Another Look at Metabolic Damagehttp://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html was not found on this server."

Looks like a space between Damage and the web address will do the trick
Will power is reaching through the fire when every nerve is screaming for you to pull away and it's something you're very much averse to. It is exercising the difficult and undesirable option. It is fighting the natural inclination, be it good or bad.
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Administrator

This forum keeps doing something weird with embedded links. Second time it's happened. Anyhow

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ic-damage.html

Thanks
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Great article, Lyle. It should be circulated in mass around the fitness community.

My question is with what happens after you get off of such an extreme diet. Most of this has been addressed, especially with articles on the Full Diet Break, etc. But I wasn't sure if the same rules applied to these more extreme deficits that may last a long time. I don't recall with the Minnesota study, but did they track what happened after they started bumping up calories? Would a two week diet break have essentially got rid of the adaptive 15% drop? In other words, is there such a thing as a "permanent" metabolic adaptation (that may be an oxymoron)?

If so, this would certainly apply to those that reverse diet for 6 months adding 5g carbs/week. Or those that fear that that they can permanently damage their metabolisms with more extreme diets.
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Administrator

In the studies that have examined it, there is always some leftover metabolic rate decrease in the post-obese (who keep their weight down) but the decrease is far less at weight maintenance.

So it's like 5% below predicted values for weight and if this ever goes away no study has found it (looked at over like 2-5 years).

In the Minnesota study, the confound is that everybody regained the weight. And yeah, metabolic rate rebounded along with it (though there was some post-diet overshoot of bodyfat).
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM

Thank you for pointing out AA's research review - I was unaware of this (not sure how I missed this for so long), and the archive once you sign up goes back to 2008 - this is fantastic and gives me some reading for the next few days.
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
In the studies that have examined it, there is always some leftover metabolic rate decrease in the post-obese (who keep their weight down) but the decrease is far less at weight maintenance.

So it's like 5% below predicted values for weight and if this ever goes away no study has found it (looked at over like 2-5 years).

In the Minnesota study, the confound is that everybody regained the weight. And yeah, metabolic rate rebounded along with it (though there was some post-diet overshoot of bodyfat).
Awesome thanks for the reply. Is this effect present regardless of how quickly the weight was lost, i.e. the % deficit during the diet?

Interesting about the Minnesota study. Why wouldn't they want to stay at 4% bf? Could have probably at least landed some movie roles.
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
Awesome thanks for the reply. Is this effect present regardless of how quickly the weight was lost, i.e. the % deficit during the diet?

Interesting about the Minnesota study. Why wouldn't they want to stay at 4% bf? Could have probably at least landed some movie roles.
They were starved. They lost fat AND muscle. They were skeletons. No one would want to stay at 4% under those circumstances, and not even bodybuilders would want to stay that lean. It is not healthy nor maintainable.
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
They were starved. They lost fat AND muscle. They were skeletons. No one would want to stay at 4% under those circumstances, and not even bodybuilders would want to stay that lean. It is not healthy nor maintainable.
Oh, I don't know that bodybuilders don't want to stay that lean but it's unbelievably unrealistic without a boatload of drugs.