BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Default 2018:Goal 120 lbs & Maintenance

Alright 2018, the goal this year will be to get back down to 120 lbs and maintain it.

Starting weight: 141 lbs

The Plan:
>Log daily
>Sleep 7 hrs
>Diet: Mostly whole foods & plant-based & low-fat
>Exercise:
+70,000 steps/week - walking/jogging/hiking/cycling/spinning
+Resistance training - 3x/week
>Time frame: 3 months to lose 20 lbs and then work on maintenance.
Unread 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Can I ask why you're planning to eat low-fat? I'm not challenging you, different diets work for different people, just wondering what about this has worked for you. Also, what's your plan to get enough protein? I don't mean this in a "where do vegans get their protein?" way rather that as Lyle has pointed out, women often don't eat enough protein when dieting. What's your daily protein target?
Unread 12-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Hi Liberty, I prefer low fat coz for X calories, I get more plates of food when it's low in fat. If I can eat more (volume) for less (cals) then I can get away with not having to track calories, which makes weight loss and maintenance easier and more sustainable in the long run.

Plus, when I used to eat paleo/high protein/high meat which tends to be high in saturated fat, my LDL cholesterol went up to 200+mg/dl (normal is <100). It went back down to normal when I dropped fat to 10-15%.

For protein I don't buy the hype any more. I aim for 1.2g/kg of ideal weight. I'm 5'4" & my ideal weight is 118 lbs/54kg so that's 65g. I figured if the IOC says 1.2-1.6g/kg is adequate for Olympic athletes, then I'm deluding myself if I think I could possibly need more than that when my goal is simply to be physically fit. As for food sources, I like lentils and a variety of beans, a bit of tofu and even without any animal products, I can still get all the protein I need. But I still eat some meat/eggs a few times a month.

My primary goal is health so my focus will be on the type, variety and nutrition value (vitamins/minerals/fiber/phytonutrients etc) of the foods rather than macros. I've dropped the ball these last few months because of a drastic change in my job schedule (14 hr night shifts) and my diet and exercise went haywire, started eating more junk and I've gained 10 lbs in the last 5 mths or so. So I'm getting back on track.

Last edited by Raquel130 : 12-03-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Unread 12-03-2017, 11:22 PM

We're pretty different, I'm a higher-fat (when not on RFL) dieter, and I'm actually getting MORE convinced about the importance of high protein lately! Haha! But of course the best diet is the one you stick to, whatever the details. Wishing you success in yours. When do you start?
Unread 12-04-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel130 View Post
For protein I don't buy the hype any more. I aim for 1.2g/kg of ideal weight. I'm 5'4" & my ideal weight is 118 lbs/54kg so that's 65g. I figured if the IOC says 1.2-1.6g/kg is adequate for Olympic athletes, then I'm deluding myself if I think I could possibly need more than that when my goal is simply to be physically fit. As for food sources, I like lentils and a variety of beans, a bit of tofu and even without any animal products, I can still get all the protein I need. But I still eat some meat/eggs a few times a month.
One thing to note about those recommendations is that they aren't based on eating in a deficit. When eating in a deficit, protein needs go up in order to maintain lean body mass.
Unread 12-04-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
We're pretty different, I'm a higher-fat (when not on RFL) dieter, and I'm actually getting MORE convinced about the importance of high protein lately! Haha! But of course the best diet is the one you stick to, whatever the details.
Yeah, exactly. Plus, I learned over the last 2 years that it's better for me to use the same approach (flexible dieting) during weight loss, that I'll use during maintenance coz it gives me a chance to learn and practice the long term habits and see how my body reacts to it. So the types of food/diet remains the same and the only thing that varies is quantity of food and exercise volume to manage weight.

Quote:
Wishing you success in yours. When do you start?
Thanks! I checked out your log as well and you're doing great. Keep it up! I've already started and 4 days in. December is when I get all my last minute checkups like my physical, dental, vision and blood tests done before the insurance clock runs out. So, a good time to sort out my weight re-gain. Results look a bit sketchy though,.... too good to be true? I'll log later. Was too busy.
Unread 12-04-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfubach View Post
One thing to note about those recommendations is that they aren't based on eating in a deficit. When eating in a deficit, protein needs go up in order to maintain lean body mass.
If I've read Lyle correctly, how much lean mass one is likely to lose is largely dependent on their body fat. If you're already lean, then yes. But the higher the body fat, the less lean mass one loses even in a deficit. And for women, even less so.

And for me, even after going from 152 lbs (in 2015) to 116 (in 2016), following a similar diet, the only thing that was clearly evident was the loss in body fat. All I cared about was losing inches on my waist, thighs, arms and chest, which I did! And was quite pleased with the results. And even though, I didn't do any heavy lifting, I was active and getting fitter and looking good. I'd have had to do a dexa scan to "see" what muscle mass I lost. In other words, it was insignificant and Lyle was right. But maybe this time I'll do a dexa scan and see what changes over the next 20 lbs drop? I might. We'll see.

Last edited by Raquel130 : 12-04-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Unread 12-05-2017, 01:26 AM

Amount of protein intake is indeed highly exaggerated. Look at all the research and anecdotes on vegans for example. They eat less protein of lower quality, but have similar results. Even if there's a difference, it's so small it doesn't matter for the average trainee. Only in extreme scenarios a case can be made. However, that's not applicable to 99% of us.

Look at it from a biological standpoint:
a) How much sense does it make that your body immediately starts to consume itself when food is not available for a while? That's a last resort strategy, not its first choice.
b) How much gram of protein excess is actually required for the body to build or maintain muscle? Muscle gain is painfully slow. Even if only 20 gram of the protein excess goes to building muscle, that's about 15 pound of extra muscle a year! After the newbie phase, that's not achievable anymore. Hence, only a fraction of protein goes to actual muscle tissue.

In conclusion:
Surpluses of hundreds of grams of protein only work for drug users or for people to prevent hunger. Not to build/maintain muscle.

Last edited by Determinism : 12-05-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Unread 12-05-2017, 04:57 PM

I agree 100%. It just seems some of these numbers apply to competitive bodybuilders and the like.

And from a practical standpoint, to get there, it can be a hassle and the choices make me go hmmm.... So it's either a meat heavy diet(which many medical sources recommend reducing and which screws up my labs) or take protein powders (which taste horrid, give me gas, are not cheap and are another highly processed food) like I was doing a while back. Common sense tells me that that ain't right. All that can't possibly be necessary for me to maintain a healthy level of lean mass.

As for gaining some muscle, which I'd like to do, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I might have to eat my words...
Unread 12-05-2017, 06:36 PM

Week 1

Day 1: 141 lbs
Day 5: 134.2 lbs (-6.8)

I don't know what to make of it. It seems a bit much. I've never lost that much even when I was cycling 2 hrs a day. On day 2, it was 138/9 I think. I didn't even bother writing it down coz I figured it was a hoax and it would come back up. Day 3 & 4 it kept going down. On both scales. I have 2. One's a dial scale. Today, day 5, it was down 0.8 lbs. I'm like whaaa? is going on! It don't make no sense.

The only thing that was out of the ordinary was day 1. I fasted almost all day to tell myself I was serious. That, combined with the fact that day 1 was the beginning of my work week. I get my 40 hrs done within a 60 hr span. The only thing I took to work was some oats. I never bring lunch. Need to work on that.

Food: Days 2-5
>oatmeal, maybe 8 cups
>a leftover(doggie bag) plate of rice, black beans, green beans, broccoli, coleslaw, some potato.
>1.5 pomegranates
>lots of air-popped popcorn. 1/2 cup unpopped fills a 10 cup bowl I think. I had 2-3 bowls per day. I finished a 2 lb bag (unpopped), label says 2880 calories.
>I raided the vending machine at work, maybe 5 or 6 fiber one chewy bars (chocolate and oats)
>lots of capuccinos at the coffee machine, 50 cal milk/cream packets. 9 cups with sugar.
>a few pieces of candy. Less than 10.
>black tea with sugar (3 tsp/mug). 8 mugs.
>pancakes (no oil, no eggs). 4/day
>after that 1st fast day, somehow, I wasn't hungry much. I ate whenever I wanted but obviously, it doesn't look like I ate many calories.

Exercise: Days 1-5
>Walking during breaks, running errands - 23,467 steps total. That's under 5k/day. Half the daily goal. This is ok during my work days coz there's literally no time. Plan is to make up the difference during the less busy days.

Sleep: Days 1-5
>Average 5 hrs/day. Not good!
>I bought blackout panels for my blinds. That should help.

Thoughts:
>I feel like I didn't do anything to warrant that much loss, even water loss. I must have been in a huge deficit even though I wasn't trying.
>I expect my appetite will pick up especially once I start exercising a bit (bought me a spin bike on black friday) and eating normally.