BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-04-2016, 01:08 AM
Banned

Default 80% of clinical trial data in China is fabricated

Couldn't find the real report, but (if it's true) it's shocking to say the least.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...na-fabricated/
Unread 10-04-2016, 05:47 AM

People lie when there's money on the line?
Unread 10-04-2016, 06:50 AM

It is true that A VERY large percentage of studies are nonreplicable. That doesn't necessarily mean fabricated.

There's a lot of pressure on researchers to produce positive data. Negative data is BORING. It doesn't encourage much funding.

Often, to produce positive data, a study method will be repeated 10+ times until it gives the desired results. This OUTLYING study will then be published.

Nonreplicability in science is a very real and serious issue.

Further, it would not surprise me in the slightest if bad studies are also the rule rather than the exception in body composition and applied physiology related research.
Unread 10-04-2016, 11:48 AM

You don't have to look all the way to China to find these issues...Jacob Wilson, HMB, anabolic results. In fact, Jacob Wilson's lab is well known for producing misgiving (false) data due to methodological issues (not disclosing stuff they should be disclosing).
Kind of makes the whole peer review process look like a joke too...but I digress.

From a practical standpoint as long as your willing to look at the published data as a WHOLE and your open minded enough to understand the drawbacks of clinical trials (real life applicability, not answering certain questions related to drug use, etc) then you should be fine.
Unread 10-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post
Jacob Wilson, HMB, anabolic results. In fact, Jacob Wilson's lab is well known for producing misgiving (false) data due to methodological issues (not disclosing stuff they should be disclosing).
I got slayed on another forum for daring to question that study. I said back then that in another year nobody will even be talking about HMB-FA... and sure enough...
Unread 10-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
I got slayed on another forum for daring to question that study. I said back then that in another year nobody will even be talking about HMB-FA... and sure enough...
Common reaction from the "evidence based" posers who assume that all published trials are equal to being facts and therefore you must be a moron to dispute them

It's not isolated to Jacob's lab either. Plenty of valid criticisms have been made regarding other areas of research and, once you to start to dig into it all, it kind of makes the "hierarchy of evidence" look like a joke in reality.

I fee sorry for the general public who doesn't have the time to really dig into all this and develop that level of rational thinking that it takes to cut out the bad from the good.
Unread 10-15-2016, 10:43 AM

I completely missed that China was specifically named in the title.

In fact, even in the United Kingdom, it has recently been estimated that as much as 70% of all published studies are nonreplicable.

Field-wise, the prime culprit was Psychology. I guess this is unsurprising.