BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Suggestions Please...

Hello-

Iím looking for some advice.
Some background: Currently, Iím 5í9 and 140lbs @ ~18-20%BF. I am a varsity athlete and triathlete. My perfect weight was about 128, which I was at for my first 3 years at college. This past summer had a grueling internship, wasnít working out, stressed out and stuffing my face lead me to gaining about 20lbs.

I started Atkins and dropped 10lbs to 140 and then began the CKD in November and did 6 cycles which helped me drop another dress size. Over Christmas I took a break and went from 134lbs up to 140. Since then, Iíve done 4 more cycles of CKD and I havenít lost a pound, but I understand the scale can lie. Anyways, I am getting frustrated and want to get leaner but I am building more muscle than Iíd like. I am starting to have bulk-y arms.

So my questions are: Should I cut cals to lose more fat? I am doing at least 45m. of cardio everyday and eating about 1400-1600 calories @ 65/5/30. AND following Sundayís carb-up Ė Should I do another depletion style (low weight/high rep) lift instead of high weight/moderate rep? Will this get me in ketosis faster?

Thank You!
Erika j.
Unread 02-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

what intensity cardio?

I've found that some people, esp if their day is very inactive have to go to 8 cal/lb to effectively lose fat (Or you can increase the intnsity and/or duratino of the cardio). 1400-1600 @140 may simply be too high
Unread 02-21-2008, 06:42 AM

I always use my heart monitor-
If I am doing cardio its either intervals on the treadmill at :
140bpm 3 minutes
up to 175bpm 2 minutes (85+% of max HR)
Or steady state somewhere around 160bpm for at least 40 minutes.

Also, I play squash about 3x a week where my average HR is 150 or so.

So I should consider dropping down to about 1100-1200 calories? Will this mess up my metabolism?

Thanks Lyle- Your book is SO great!!! One of the most informative I've read.
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

dieing will always lower metabolic rate and there's not much that can ever be done about it

the only other option is to not lose fat
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
dieing will always lower metabolic rate and there's not much that can ever be done about it

the only other option is to not lose fat
Can you keep your metabolic rate if you use stuff like T4/T3?
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganKane View Post
Can you keep your metabolic rate if you use stuff like T4/T3?
metabolic rate is controlled by more than just thyroid, or else stopping all dieting plateaus would be simple: take more thyroid

it's an interaction of thyroid, nervous system, leptin and insulin and possibly a whole lot of other stuff

t3 would only affect one of those
Unread 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
metabolic rate is controlled by more than just thyroid, or else stopping all dieting plateaus would be simple: take more thyroid

it's an interaction of thyroid, nervous system, leptin and insulin and possibly a whole lot of other stuff

t3 would only affect one of those
Thank you Lyle,
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchntv View Post
300mg DNP ought to prevent lowering of RMR.
Do the body's various feedback loops (Hypothalamus, Pituitary, x, y axes and others that I don't know much about) compensate for exogenous substances, whether DNP, T4/T3, Testosterone, Bromocriptine etc, thus making them only temporarily effective?

Does this mean that all fat-loss/muscle-gain "aids" have to be cycled on & off? If so, during the "off" cycle, are much of the gains lost?

Blog
Unread 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
3-board ultra supreme member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika_j View Post
Hello-

Iím looking for some advice.
Some background: Currently, Iím 5í9 and 140lbs @ ~18-20%BF. I am a varsity athlete and triathlete. My perfect weight was about 128, which I was at for my first 3 years at college. This past summer had a grueling internship, wasnít working out, stressed out and stuffing my face lead me to gaining about 20lbs.

I started Atkins and dropped 10lbs to 140 and then began the CKD in November and did 6 cycles which helped me drop another dress size. Over Christmas I took a break and went from 134lbs up to 140. Since then, Iíve done 4 more cycles of CKD and I havenít lost a pound, but I understand the scale can lie. Anyways, I am getting frustrated and want to get leaner but I am building more muscle than Iíd like. I am starting to have bulk-y arms.

So my questions are: Should I cut cals to lose more fat? I am doing at least 45m. of cardio everyday and eating about 1400-1600 calories @ 65/5/30. AND following Sundayís carb-up Ė Should I do another depletion style (low weight/high rep) lift instead of high weight/moderate rep? Will this get me in ketosis faster?
ej, a few questions, coments & suggestions:

1- how do you know you are at 18-20% bf?

2- why was 128 your perfect weight? for performance, aesthetics, both?

3- if you've done 4 UD2 cycles and weight is not changing but muscles are growing (ie. bulky arms), then you are getting leaner

4- are your sunday carb-ups really carb-ups? or are they free-for-alls?

5- ketosis, who cares ... it doesn't matter, so don't obsess on it

6- pull your numbers together to get a weekly calorie balance ... that is what matters

7- you may be best at this point to reset and eat maintenace for 2 weeks while maintaining activity ... then give UD2 or another (PSMF) option a chance

8- ignore the thyroid and DNP ideas
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
3-board ultra supreme member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchntv View Post
you don't need to cycle DNP or bromocriptine.
wtf is wrong with you guys spouting dnp and thyroid garbage on this forum?

do you really think it needs intro at this point?