BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Protein Digestion vs. Absorption

I have the Protein Book and I've read all of the protein articles on the main site. There's one question that's I've been thinking about a lot and haven't really found the answer (Please forgive me if it was in the literature I mentioned. If it was it may be my misunderstanding of the topic that caused me to not really comprehend what I read. Iím more than willing to hit the book again if I missed it). I think part of this is because I may have a skewed or incorrect view on what digestion and absorption really is.

So, I've seen time intervals listed for digestion and I've seen them listed for absorption for various different proteins.

My limited understanding (which could be very wrong) is that digestion is the process of breaking down the nutrients into a form that can be absorbed by the body.

So let's assume we're talking about whey isolate which might absorb between 8-10g per hour.

Now, when discussing nutrient timing and training it may be recommended that a person consume 40g of protein pre and post WO (I'm just using ballpark numbers for example).

So, it took a while but here's my question... if the rate of absorption is 10g per hour why would it be so beneficial to consume ~80g within a couple of hours time frame to maximize the effect of protein synthesis if only ~20g would be absorbed in that time frame anyway? Does the volume of aminos pre absorption signal the effect of protein synthesis regardless of the rate at which the aminos can be used?
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator

No, the signal is only related to what's in te bloodstream (and it may be changing levels of aminos esp. leucine). The contradiction is that the data is being pulled from different data sets. The pre/post worout stuff is on studies that used that amount and found maximal results.

I can't explain the contradiction any better than that.
Unread 04-15-2009, 07:25 AM

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for the reply, Lyle.
Unread 04-21-2009, 12:56 AM

Does the digestion time of whey increase very much if combined in a meal with slow-digesting protein? Would that make more of it acceptable on RFL, or is still advised against?
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Administrator

When whey is combined with other nutrients, the digestion speed does decrease.