BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

MPI is neither casein nor whey, it is MILK protein isolate and contains 20% whey and 80% casein

I use the WPC before/during workouts and MPI post-workout as laid out in the protein book
Unread 07-20-2008, 04:04 PM

okay, thanks, that clears things up a bit.
Unread 08-02-2008, 01:51 AM

I had it hammered into my head that whey microfiltered, ultrafiltered, ion exchange, etc, were all far superior to plain old whey concentrate.

It seems we're calling BS on that myth. Anyone know why?
Unread 08-02-2008, 06:38 AM

protein is protein. as long as you get plenty of it, the source is pretty minuscule.
Unread 08-02-2008, 09:43 AM

makes sense. I didn't realize the 'terribly special' thing about microfiltration, ion exchange, and all, was essentially to remove the 1 gr of fat and 1 gr of carb that tends to tag along with WC.

They throw percentages around to make it seem like its a huge purification process (WC is only 80% pure, whereas isolate can be 95% or higher, etc)

But I guess you're right. Protein of that quality is good protein, what the hell is 1 gr of carb and 1 gr of fat going to do?

somewhere along the line I had absorbed the 'fancy stuff' absorbs better and faster, especially post workout.
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeyZS View Post

somewhere along the line I had absorbed the 'fancy stuff' absorbs better and faster, especially post workout.
yes, this is the intent, as it sells very well and people will pay more for fancy words
Unread 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdeen View Post
yes, this is the intent, as it sells very well and people will pay more for fancy words
Fancy words can be expensive, but well worth it. Just go to T-Nation; they provides tons of big words, pretty pictures and lots of claims, but little research to support their products.

Who needs the data to support their products anyway. Fancy words are worth big bucks.
Unread 08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeyZS View Post
I had it hammered into my head that whey microfiltered, ultrafiltered, ion exchange, etc, were all far superior to plain old whey concentrate.

It seems we're calling BS on that myth. Anyone know why?
in the olden days, when making whey concentrates usually meant leaving a lot of lactose and other stuff, the others were probably somewhat more beneficial

nowadays, most high quality conentrates are lactose free and relatively free of fat or carbs (e.g. check out wpc from trueprotein.com). so the difference is merely price

claims about digestion efficiency are basically garbage (all high quality protiens are digested at 90%+) and the whole speed thing has been horribly misreprsented anyhow.

in any case, even if microfiltration and all that crap does mean slightly higher quality protein, you end up paying 50% as much for a few percent gain in quality. just eat a few percent more of the cheap stuff
Unread 08-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Makes sense.

Most of my protein 'knowledge' comes from Colgan's Optimum Sport Nutrition, which is old and I'm sure somewhat outdated.

I ordered WPC and MPI from trueprotein.

I chose the stevia sweetener, I seem to recall you saying you used that somewhere, with BSL flavoring.

If it tastes like crap, between that and the depletion workouts, I'm gonna 'hunt you down and kick your I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.'

thanks again man.
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Just got my 80/20 protein from True Protein. It's pretty thick and bland but I'm gonna work with it. I mix it with my liquid egg whites to bump up the protein.