BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-29-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc View Post
Just got my 80/20 protein from True Protein. It's pretty thick and bland but I'm gonna work with it. I mix it with my liquid egg whites to bump up the protein.
Do you think cocoa powder might help the taste at all?
Unread 08-29-2008, 10:39 PM

why not try it...I have used pumpkin pie spice (I like that spice flavor ) and/or use Davinci sugar free syrup in it..it comes in several flavors....just trying to help you out!
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:58 AM

This question is directed to Lyle and anyone else: what is the general guideline for peri-workout nutrition?

For awhile I've been using Alan Aragon's recommendation of .25g/lb protein and .25g/lb carbs pre-workout, followed by .25g/lb protein and .5g/lb carbs post-workout. Generally I have oats and eggs pre-workout, with whey, bananas, and oats.

No, I haven't read the protein book, but may order it eventually.
Unread 09-03-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpalmer63 View Post
This question is directed to Lyle and anyone else: what is the general guideline for peri-workout nutrition?

For awhile I've been using Alan Aragon's recommendation of .25g/lb protein and .25g/lb carbs pre-workout, followed by .25g/lb protein and .5g/lb carbs post-workout. Generally I have oats and eggs pre-workout, with whey, bananas, and oats.

No, I haven't read the protein book, but may order it eventually.
I'm fairly certain something as simple as some BCAA blend during your workout could be effective. I know there was some recent research posted by fitnecise on another forum about this that was relevant to the trained athlete. I would re-post here but cannot access the other forum from work. Will add later...
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:13 AM

Given decent pre- and post-workout nutrition, it is not necessary to consume anything while working out...
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:28 AM

Got it...I think I have more of the study as well...

Quote:
1: Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Apr 22. [Epub ahead of print]Click here to read Links
Protein co-ingestion stimulates muscle protein synthesis during resistance type exercise.
Beelen M, Koopman R, Gijsen AP, Vandereyt H, Kies AK, Kuipers H, Saris WH, van Loon LJ.

Movement Sciences, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht (NUTRIM Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands; , Netherlands.

In contrast to the impact of nutritional intervention on post-exercise muscle protein synthesis, little is known about the potential to modulate protein synthesis during exercise. This study investigates the impact of protein co-ingestion with carbohydrate on muscle protein synthesis during resistance type exercise. Ten healthy males were studied in the evening after consuming a standardized diet throughout the day. Subjects participated in 2 experiments, in which they ingested either carbohydrate or carbohydrate with protein during a 2h resistance exercise session. Subjects received a bolus of test drink prior to and every 15 min during exercise, providing 0.15 g.kg(-1).h(-1) carbohydrate with (CHO+PRO) or without (CHO) 0.15 g.kg(-1).h(-1) protein hydrolysate. Continuous intravenous infusions with L-[ring-(13)C6]phenylalanine and L-[ring-(2)H2] tyrosine were applied, and blood and muscle biopsies were collected to assess whole-body and muscle protein synthesis rates during exercise. Protein co-ingestion lowered whole-body protein breakdown rates by 8.4+/-3.6% (P=0.066), compared to the ingestion of carbohydrate only, and augmented protein oxidation and synthesis rates by 77+/-17 and 33+/-3%, respectively (P<0.01). As a consequence, whole-body net protein balance was negative in CHO, whereas a positive net balance was achieved following the CHO+PRO treatment (-4.4+/-0.3 vs 16.3+/-0.4 micromol phe.kg(-1).h(-1), respectively; P<0.01). In accordance, mixed muscle protein fractional synthetic rate (FSR) was 49+/-22% higher following protein co-ingestion (0.088+/-0.012 and 0.060+/-0.004 %.h(-1) in CHO+PRO vs CHO treatment, respectively; P<0.05). We conclude that, even in a fed state, protein co-ingestion stimulates whole-body and muscle protein synthesis rates during resistance type exercise. Key words: muscle, protein synthesis, exercise, nutrition.

PMID: 18430966 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Unread 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Yep. There's nothing wrong with it, it can be beneficial of course.

But for those that don't like to drink a shake while working out, they don't have to force themselves as long as they have some good pre-workout carbs/protein prior to working out.
Unread 04-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Lyle,

I haven't ordered the protein book yet - I plan on it probably next week. A few of questions as I'm getting ready to place an order at True Protein as my current protein supply is getting low.

1. It sounds as if whey (concentrate) is really just for pre/during/post workouts, correct?

2. Milk isolate should be used at all other times?

3. I was going to place an order mixing the two powders at 50/50 to keep it simple, but sounds like I should keep them separate?

4. Also, will milk isolate give an digestive problems for lactose problem folks?

Last edited by Trainer36 : 04-02-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Unread 04-02-2009, 10:39 PM

1) you can use it any time or after training
2) you can use it any time or after training
3) do ya really think it will make that much difference?
4) how much lactose do you think the MPI has?
Unread 04-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
Got it...I think I have more of the study as well...
The final meal (whose content was not specified) was finished 2 hours prior to arriving at the lab. Another hour elapsed prior to exercise in order to infuse the metabolic tracers, etc. This leaves us at 3 hours of eating jack diddly before the 2-hour resistance training bout. Oh yeah, and the total day's protein intake of the control group was roughly 78g and about 99g for the experimental group... Anyone wanna contrast this trial with reality?