BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-29-2015, 05:34 AM

Default Keto diet, menstrual health and calories

Lyle,

I am reading the Ketogenic diet book due to personal interest in experimenting with it. I am a female at 20 percent body fat with a goal of 16. 66" 130lbs

I know you are writing a book right now about women specific fat loss and I read your interview with Alan Aragon in the research review. I can't wait for the book to come out!

What are your thoughts on ketosis and fat loss for women? I have read ketogenic diets will disrupt the menstrual cycle due to lack of CHO but I have not seen any research papers that verify this. Also, you recommend 12 calories a pound in the book but I have also listened to you interviews where you have stated women need closer to 10 calories a pound for fat loss.

Can you clarify this for me?
Unread 12-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Administrator

It hasn't been studied. Anecdotally I have seen some people report that it is less disruptive but I suspect the effect is indirect, it keeps women from doing typically stupid dieting things such as

inadequate protein
inadequate dietary fat
excessive fiber

which do have a direct effect on menstrual function

But all of those things can be done without a ketogenic diet

Addendum: I have found exactly one study, ketogenic diet and epilepsy where all women (9) did experience menstrual dysfunction. Another in adolescents (not a good model for adults) found about half.

I cannot explain why this seems to go against the anecdotal reports. An interesting question is whether a cyclical ketogenic diet avoids this and it probably will
Unread 12-29-2015, 10:49 AM

Awesome! Ty!

Would you still recommend calories at 12 a pound for fat loss with the cyclical ketogenic diet? I feel as though that is high. I thought i remembered you stating in a podcast that women need to be at 10 or less cals per pound to see fat loss but this gets tricky due to hormonal alterations that tend to happen below 30-35 calories per kg of LBM.

Personally, should i go with 1400 or 1600 calories during the week? My maintenance calculates at approximately 1800-2100.

Thanks again!
Unread 12-31-2015, 05:47 PM

^^Do the lower calorie and see how you feel. I would make sure you have the same amount of protein with each and that all you are modifying is your fat and carb (not much there to alter) intake.

Also make sure you are taking a multi and fish oil to also help hormone levels.

I don't know Lyle's protein recommendation for his keto diet but I'd go like 1g per 1lb of lbm so like 100g+ for you and then the remaining 1000 calories to be as much fat as possible.
Unread 01-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evasmom View Post
Awesome! Ty!

Would you still recommend calories at 12 a pound for fat loss with the cyclical ketogenic diet? I feel as though that is high. I thought i remembered you stating in a podcast that women need to be at 10 or less cals per pound to see fat loss but this gets tricky due to hormonal alterations that tend to happen below 30-35 calories per kg of LBM.

Personally, should i go with 1400 or 1600 calories during the week? My maintenance calculates at approximately 1800-2100.

Thanks again!
No, I said that *some* people depending on activity may need to go that low. It all depends.