BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-29-2019, 11:56 PM

My program's going a lot better than my logging.

I got a new scale last night. First weigh-in on it: 209.6. I also got a tape measure. My midsection is about 39" on the nose... I'm finally no longer technically abdominally obese. Lol. In all serious, I am finally making some effort to get rid of the gut.

Strength is up across the board. I picked up an IronBull dip belt, and started loading my dips.

I had family in town last week, so I didn't do my carries, to keep my workouts short. I did get my yoke walks up to 380 lbs, on Saturday, though, and finished with a 30 second hold at 420 (2x bodyweight). That's quickly becoming one of my favorite exercises. It's the only thing I've ever done that I can feel deep in my obliques, the next day, it's glorious.
Unread 05-07-2019, 12:27 AM

This board feels dead. I'm not really sure why I'm bothering with this log, at this point.

My average weight last week was 209.17. Yes, I managed to get an entire week's worth of weigh-ins. Progress.

Last week's workouts were fine. I'm getting kind of bored with low reps but I'm still upping the poundage while cutting weight so what are you going to do about it. I want to give Dan John's 10000 rep kettlebell swing a challenge, for a month, before jumping into his crazy high rep squat bulk, but it turns out that I suck pretty badly at kettlebell swings, for some reason. Right now I'm adding these onto the end of my workouts; I can make it an entire halfway through one whole block before my glutes go numb and my heart wants to jump out of my chest. Using the kettlebell he prescribes for the ladies. Okay.

The one thing not going so hot right now is that poundage has been going down in my lat pulldown. This has been a consistent trend, so after tonight's craptastic session I went through my logs: it's been a thing, ever since I started Saturday yoke carry sessions. Which makes sense, because I feel yoke most in my lats. Obviously, one day's rest isn't enough for recovery, which probably should've been common sense. Not sure what to do about it.

I've been averaging at least two pieces of fruit per day, which is pretty awesome for me. That's basically been my cutting method, swapping my meal time carbs for a small piece of fruit. I seem to be losing weight, cool.
Unread 05-07-2019, 01:55 AM

If you want to mix up the swings you can try using different objects/change the width of the handle etc. It will still jack your heart up but heavy swings with an odd shape or using a towel will reeeeally work your grip.
I also tend to do heavy swings with lower reps one day and then lighter higher rep the next, or else I do pretty much to failure on the heavy and then immediately move to do double the reps or so with a lighter weight, this keeps the intensity high without sacrificing form.(although form doesnt seem to be something most people I see doing swings seem to care about )
I generally bring it up to almost shoulder height with the lighter ones but apparently bringing it any higher is only spelling trouble shoulder health wise.

I feel you on the dead board, good to have a record of your progress though, never know who will learn from your mistakes or who's lurking
Unread 05-09-2019, 01:58 AM

Yeah, given that the workout is hard for me, already, I worry about form deteriorating past my comfort zone if I push it. That said, I haven't tried it at the beginning of my workout.

I think after this week I'll start the kettlebell swing challenge, and just see what happens. Not a lot of downside. I've been training heavy heavy for almost two months now, I'm just sort of intuitively backing off, which tells me it's time to shelve training on the nerve for a while.

Plan is to lean out to a hopefully satisfactory level to where I can run a volume-based bulk again, in good conscience.

As for learning from my mistakes... there's sure plenty to work with
Unread 05-09-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McFatso View Post
Yeah, given that the workout is hard for me, already, I worry about form deteriorating past my comfort zone if I push it. That said, I haven't tried it at the beginning of my workout.
I actually find kettlebell swings to be a great primer for deadlifts,they activate the glutes etc, get you some practice of getting the hip hinge down before you start lifting heavy, and they're explosive (which is important for me because I'm not exactly a natural sprinter, and if I don't do something explosive first my main lifts can feel like moving through sludge sometimes :/ )

Obviously you don't want to exhaust yourself with them at the very start but you can always split the workout up so you do some at the start as a priming movement, and then at the end as conditioning/finisher.
But if you want to do the challenge and feel like you suck at them remember that dropsets of swings are very effective, and if you're trying to get better at them you could maybe keep the amount of reps in the challenge constant and start out with whatever the recommended weight is and when you feel your form begin to deteriorate just drop the weight and continue, dropping whenever you feel at your limit but doing all the reps. And obviously try to improve each time.
It will be a pretty nice feeling of accomplishment when you are able to do all the reps with whatever that weight is instead of feeling like you suck now since you can't do it yet
Unread 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM

Average of last week's weigh-ins: 208.69.

0.48 lb change. Kind of surprised it's not more than that, I thought I was considerably hypo. Kind of smacking myself for not keeping a food journal, because I clearly need to be less cavalier about figuring out my kcal needs. Oh well. I suppose that's a good project for now.

I'm going to do my best approximation of running the challenge as written. I know it's pretty commonplace here to crap on that kind of training. The reasons I'm giving it a go are basically 1) it's something I haven't done before, and 2) by cutting out other lifting I'm removing distractions. I like the big lifts and, if I keep them in there, I'll eventually say simply 'screw that cardio nonsense', and end up accomplishing nothing very well. My plan is to build my work capacity and trim some fat, before it gets hot, so that I can get some good bulking in over the summer.

For those unfamiliar with the challenge, it's laid out here.

Tonight I did day 1. For the first week, I'm leaving out the lifting in between sets. I performed them as a drop set, running the 53 lb bell for the first block, and the 35 lb bell for the rest. Everything went alright, except for the 50 rep sets, which I only managed to finish once (the first set of the 35 lb bell). I taped a few sets. My form was very inconsistent, which bothers me. Going to need to watch some videos and bug someone at the gym for pointers.

Back and belly fat sucks.
Unread 05-14-2019, 11:20 PM

Day 2 went alright. I weighed in light, this morning, so I guess there's probably a pretty significant glycogen depletion effect happening. I didn't get any more reps today than I did yesterday, but the form was a hell of a lot better. For all blocks, I'm fine, until the sets of 50, then I start to fall apart after the first 20-25, depending how early in the workout it is.

Things I like so far: how my hams and glutes feel, afterwards.
Things I hate: the blisters I feel coming in, how my lower back feels.

Generally speaking this is a miserable workout, and I spend the entire time wondering how I'm going to drag myself through five weeks of this. Oh well that's half the reason I'm doing it

Five weeks instead of four, because I'm going to run it MTThF, with loaded carries on Saturday, instead of as a rolling workout. I was thinking of switching from yoke to farmers, for the carries, but I might end up sticking with yoke, to give my grip some time off. We'll see.
Unread 05-17-2019, 02:29 AM

Started a food journal. I'll probably only reconcile it once each week.

Tonight was day 3 of the kettlebell swing challenge, and the first time I made it all the way through - I'm alright for the sets of 50, now. Took me 55:33 for the 500 swings. Think form is alright, I'm getting better at actively contracting the right muscles throughout the swing.

I've definitely lost some water weight. Hopefully it'll translate to some actual fat loss by the time this thing has run its course. Conditioning is miserable, and my hands are already blistered.

Leisure walks throughout the day, for recovery.
Unread 05-17-2019, 12:18 PM

The main bit of advice that has helped me with swings/the hip hinge is to just really focus on thrusting at the weight. All your focus on making the ketttle bell feel the force of your loving and your form should stay consistent enough.

Plus saying 'f*** this' on every swing actually makes it that bit more tolerable in my experience
Unread 05-18-2019, 10:58 PM

Yeah I think that part's easy enough. Gets a bit weird when my glutes go numb, but it's getting better by the day.

Things came up yesterday, so I wound up doing my day 4 workout, today. Finished 9' earlier than day 3. Last two sets felt a bit sloppier than I'd like, so I think I'll probably run it the same way, one more time, Monday.

I figure there are two progression variables involved in the vanilla program: the weight of the kettlebell and the duration of the rest periods. This is the first time I've done conditioning work since highschool, and I've never had any interest in it, so I'm not really sure how to work the progression. Keep going this way, until it feels silly, then up the weight? Up the weight early, do some drop sets, and keep myself in the 'god I wish this were over' zone?

I think I'll probably do drop sets. The workout is broken down into 5 blocks of 10, 15, 25, and finally 50 reps, for a total of 500 swings each workout. My thinking is that I'll probably bring the heavier bell in for the shorter sets, at first, and work it in slowly, over a few workouts. I want to make sure I'm hitting all of the swings because, well, that's the workout.

I do ab rollouts after every workout, because ab rollouts are awesome. I plan on working in more additional work as I go along.

Tomorrow is my seven day weigh-in.