BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-04-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks guys to be honest i think i have issues i keep pinching my low abs back etc thinking of more fat i got. Is it in my head? What i see in the mirror I like but i feel I could go more? Or is it pointless and counterproductive to do so before massing? Totally serious post I have a skewed self image/assessment/whatever.
Unread 12-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Thanks guys to be honest i think i have issues i keep pinching my low abs back etc thinking of more fat i got. Is it in my head? What i see in the mirror I like but i feel I could go more? Or is it pointless and counterproductive to do so before massing? Totally serious post I have a skewed self image/assessment/whatever.
Why go massing. Changes will be so slow and minuscule where youre at now.

A recomp (something like +15/-15% daily) May be perfect for you. Why go through the aggravation of bulking/cutting when youre already near or at genetic potential.

Live your good work and enjoy slow and steady small gains while staying ripped. Itll be a huge psychological benefit, rather than crap I look fat, time to cut again stress. They suck.
Unread 12-04-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Unless your contest is coming up soon, I would try to gain some mass.

Take it from someone who knows exactly what it's like to obsess about that "little bit of low ab and back fat". I was in great shape, <10%, and I look back at my old photos now and think I was crazy to think I still wasn't "lean enough".

I spent the next two years trying to push it further, lost about 8 pounds of hard earned muscle, and I crashed my endocrine system. I might FINALLY be getting off medication to fix it after two years of being on it. And I don't think I was even quite as lean as you.

You look great, maybe do a slow bulk, and enjoy what you've achieved.
Unread 12-04-2017, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys I'll take both your inputs. I'm going to run a small surplus (thinking +250 cals on 2 or 3 training days/wk to start, then assess weekly or bi weekly). I def have a one track mind and miss the big picture. I def need to add some mass, so I need to find that sweet spot where its happening but not getting fluff either. I wasted a lot of time spinning wheels in a cut bulk cycle before really nailing good sustainable habits this year. Fingers crossed I can keep it up and put on at least 10 lbs of stage weight. Not going to do one for a year at least.
Unread 12-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Hello all. Any thoughts on body fat percentage? 25/26%?

https://imgur.com/a/w3E9l

Also would love input as to how to proceed. Feel like I'm spinning my wheels in the gym and with my diet. Should I start a new thread on this question?

Current stats: 39F/5'4"/134

Lost about 10 pounds from last Dec 2016-May 2017 following keto, since then hovering between 130-134. I'd like to get closer to 20-22% body fat, but having trouble sticking to diet. Tried a week of PSMF, then derailed this week.

I want a more muscular look, but also want to lose the love handles. Should I continue focusing on cutting, or work on putting on muscle? Doesn't look like it but before PSMF, I was in the gym lifting 4-5x/week. Last week on PSMF, I only did one full-body day.

Just bought Lyle's flexible dieting book and plan to read today, as hoping it will help me stay on track with diet, as opposed to trying to go all out, then falling off wagon.
Unread 12-07-2017, 12:56 AM

Flexible dieting is certainly a good starting point. Also focus on the type of nutrition you consume (much vegetables, fruits and protein), make your lifestyle active to some extend and try to limit/discourage the moments you're tempted to eat a lot (e.g. holidays, restaurant visit, parties, etc.).

I'll let someone else estimate the BF%.
Unread 12-07-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusinc View Post
Hello all. Any thoughts on body fat percentage? 25/26%?
I would put you more towards 28-30%.
I'm not great at estimating though and have often posted my own photo for estimates so hopefully someone else will jump in.
Unread 12-07-2017, 12:44 PM

I'll throw my picture up again.
Unread 12-07-2017, 01:51 PM

@Linusinc and @nadfuBach -

I'd say both of your are somewhere in the 25%-30% range. Obviously, slightly different fat distribution patterns, but that's my guess if I had to stick a number to it. IMO, women''s bodyfat percentages are a lot harder to estimate visually than men's as there are less visual cues to indicate what bodyfat "tier" you fall in. I'd say definitely no higher than 30 for both of you.
Unread 12-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanks much.

I had some free time to read through some of the articles here advising to wait until 19-24% to work on building muscle. . . so I plan to recalculate numbers with a 30% bodyfat assumption and continue dieting incorporating the guide to flexible dieting.