BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-16-2016, 07:41 PM

Default Fruit and carbs before depletion workout still the done thing?

Hi,

I did a CKD a good few years ago, had some good results. I pretty much followed to the T as directed by the book, including the protocol for beginning the refeed.
ie:

5 hours before depletion workout: consume 25-50 grams of carbohydrate with some protein to begin the shift out of ketosis.
2 hours before depletion workout: consume 25-50 grams of glucose and fructose (such as fruit) to refill liver glycogen.

This was from the 1st edition of The Ketogenic Diet book, is this still the recommended way?

The reason I ask is I see a lot of people not bothering with this? Is there now a tried an tested protocol, as I must have done my first CKD over 10 years ago.

Many thanks.
Unread 12-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsa86 View Post
Hi,

I did a CKD a good few years ago, had some good results. I pretty much followed to the T as directed by the book, including the protocol for beginning the refeed.
ie:

5 hours before depletion workout: consume 25-50 grams of carbohydrate with some protein to begin the shift out of ketosis.
2 hours before depletion workout: consume 25-50 grams of glucose and fructose (such as fruit) to refill liver glycogen.

This was from the 1st edition of The Ketogenic Diet book, is this still the recommended way?

The reason I ask is I see a lot of people not bothering with this? Is there now a tried an tested protocol, as I must have done my first CKD over 10 years ago.

Many thanks.
A lot of people don't do what they're advised .... If you had good results way back when I would just do the same thing since it clearly worked for you.

I'll try to answer your question but I am only going off the top of my head...I think its most effective to have the carbs split-up ; some pre-workout and some post-workout. Regardless if you choose to do that or what you did 10 years ago I'm fairly certain the results long-term would show a negligible difference anyhow...
Unread 01-12-2017, 11:26 AM

I've stumbled upon some research suggesting that nutrient timing is largely irrelevant for gains. Not sure what to make of this in the context of CKD though, and in particular, powering one through a high-intensity workout.

Reference: Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?