BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-14-2017, 09:32 AM

Default How can I do Crossfit without going backwards/overtraining?

Hi all,

I'm a 36 year old, 6ft 90kg male and a passionate gym goer and an OK intermediate lifter 120kg bench, chin up@bodyweight plus 40kg for 3 reps, Squat 140x3RM, etc, etc. I'm beyond or touching personal PR levels (for me) in a few lifts which I'm happy about (aside from my DL and SQ due to groin injuries).

Anyway, even though it's not optimal for anything really, and it is suboptimal in loads of ways I still really fancy giving Crossfit a go for a few months just for a change of scenery and an opportunity to show my naked torso in a gym environment without stigma (which is why we all do it isn't it lol). I think I'd really enjoy the competitive element and the fact it looks fun/a bit different is all cool. Meh, the programming sucks but whatever :-)

Anyway,

What would be the best way to do Crossfit training whilst ideally keeping all of my current strength levels for a few months?

Part of me thinks of a few ways to do it but I just can't figure a way to do a strength routine without giving myself a sizeable risk of overtraining once I add in the crossfit stuff. Does anyone have any advice about how to do it? Or am I overthinking things and a few months of suboptimal (but intense) training shouldn't make any difference at all really? Thanks all.
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Don't do Crossfit is the best solution
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Just drop volume and focus on maintaining your lifts.
Unread 07-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Seems like if you had a groin injury, you would want to do something a little more safe than Crossfit.
Unread 07-14-2017, 12:16 PM

CrossFit is really really fun. It does have a great spirit about it. people support each other and in most boxes (CF gym) there's a great atmosphere! it gives awesome motivation and also creates quite a few social contacts aswell (lots of fit chicks aswell)

However, I must really say, after the initial enthusiasm, the totally random programming of it really starts to get to you (to me anyways). lets not even start taking about having fresh trainers do stuff like Ring work + Snatch + run up and down the stairs, all paired up into 4 timed rounds. you're literally setting them up for injury, having them do very technical stuff at high fatigue levels. I consider myself fairly good intermediate, years of gym experience, and after two weeks of very careful ring work (slow paced, low rings to support body weight with legs on floor, etc) I started to have wrist pains, which took about 2 months to go away...

So If you're a highly technically educated person, that know's how to do all that stuff, and know's that workouts are sometimes very unbalanced, and knows how to balance that at the gym, and there's probably some more stuff I haven't even mentioned, than yea go for it.

a nice way of balancing it may be like going 1-2 times per week, and keep the work light (sometimes they'll go crazy stuff like 6 sets of heavy singles complex lift, and have you do push ups in between or something. avoid that!), so like 70% of your workouts are still nicely programmed gymwork, while the other 30% is more for "fun sporty activities" that you keep light. that's what I do anyways (Really I mostly go for the social aspect).
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Don't do Crossfit is the best solution
True. It does seem like it'd be a giggle. I often try different things in fitness world just to try them. I was the only guy in a Zumba class 6 months ago. Fecking hard lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Just drop volume and focus on maintaining your lifts.
I thought that too. Something like one or two sets of bench at my current numbers one day, same with squat and deadlift and overhead press pre-wod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
Seems like if you had a groin injury, you would want to do something a little more safe than Crossfit.
Yeah probably. It flares up now and again but it seems ok now. Hopefully healed and I basically stopped squatting regular for a year as that seemed to really trigger it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katriss View Post
CrossFit is really really fun. It does have a great spirit about it. people support each other and in most boxes (CF gym) there's a great atmosphere! it gives awesome motivation and also creates quite a few social contacts aswell (lots of fit chicks aswell)

However, I must really say, after the initial enthusiasm, the totally random programming of it really starts to get to you (to me anyways).
Yeah I agree it does suck and it would genuinely be short term just for a change. I've been going to gyms for 20 years a week change now and again is good imo.
Unread 07-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Would personally not risk it. Sure it may be fun, but the volume of olympic lifts seems very injury prone.

Rather than doing something that is probably one of the most dangerous workouts around that I'm aware of, why not try some new exercises and/or a new routine instead?