BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-01-2017, 03:58 AM

But in the faq for the generic bulking routine Lyle's saying that ascending pyramids "suck" and that pyramiding down is acceptable if the same weight is not managable through multiple sets (depending on the lifter), so I'm not sure what he expects for his specialization routine :/
Unread 09-01-2017, 06:31 AM

I would shoot for 5x5 across at the same weight. This would mean you have a few reps left in the tank on the first set but the sets get tougher as you go.

You can try it the other way (trying to progress each set individually, each set being RPE 9+) but you'll probably find that it grinds you down pretty quickly. That depends on a lot though.

When you move up in weight, you may have to make some adjustments. One simple solution is just to have a one time drop in weight.

So you just got 195 x 5 x 5. The next workouts might go something like:

200 x 5; 195 x 5, 5, 5, 5
200 x 5, 5, 5; 195 x 5, 5
200 x 5 x 5

Adjust as needed.
Unread 09-01-2017, 06:50 AM

Leg presses are kinda meh for 5s imo, far too easy to round low back off pad whilst pushing max weights. I'd shoot for that 6 to 8 maybe even touch higher.
Unread 09-01-2017, 08:39 PM

What kind of surplus is needed to support growth in a specialization cycle? It has to be less than normal, right?
Unread 09-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Hi, I posted in another thread and got some good help. They told me to look on this one, but I couldn't find any of my answers after viewing many pages.

I'm 29, 5'5, 165 lbs, training for 9 years, bench 275x8, squat 3156

Anyway, my questions are:
1- If front delts get hit hard enough from chest pressing and there really isnt a point to shoulder press if the goal is bodybuilding wouldnt it make more sense to not specialize in delts and just do chest and add in side raises, upright rows, and rear delt work?

2- If shoulder speciailization is a good way to go, if I stopped benching for those 4 weeks and just did peck deck, would my bench go down from now using that movement for a while, I would think so, isn't this bad?

2- if everything else on me is fine but my chest is just the most stubborn (despite being the strongest) can i just spec in chest all the time or would that be dumb?

3- can/should i just alternate body parts every 4 weeks ? And if so would it make sense to alternate just between chest and back (in terms of upper body) so chest every 4 weeks, then back the next 4 and repeat? (because shoulders will get hit hard from the chest pressing and i'll add in extra shoulder work) and then arms are indirectly hit anyway?

4- would a chest spec look like:
day 1 - bench 4x8
incline fly 3x10-12
rows 3x8
side laterals 3x10
bi's 3x10
tri's 3x10

day 2
incline bench 4x8
peck dec 3x10-12
lat pulldown 3x8
upright rows 3x10
facepulls 3x20
bi's 3x12
tri's 3x12
Unread 09-14-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalguy69 View Post
Hi, I posted in another thread and got some good help. They told me to look on this one, but I couldn't find any of my answers after viewing many pages.

I'm 29, 5'5, 165 lbs, training for 9 years, bench 275x8, squat 3156

Anyway, my questions are:
1- If front delts get hit hard enough from chest pressing and there really isnt a point to shoulder press if the goal is bodybuilding wouldnt it make more sense to not specialize in delts and just do chest and add in side raises, upright rows, and rear delt work?

2- If shoulder speciailization is a good way to go, if I stopped benching for those 4 weeks and just did peck deck, would my bench go down from now using that movement for a while, I would think so, isn't this bad?

2- if everything else on me is fine but my chest is just the most stubborn (despite being the strongest) can i just spec in chest all the time or would that be dumb?

3- can/should i just alternate body parts every 4 weeks ? And if so would it make sense to alternate just between chest and back (in terms of upper body) so chest every 4 weeks, then back the next 4 and repeat? (because shoulders will get hit hard from the chest pressing and i'll add in extra shoulder work) and then arms are indirectly hit anyway?

4- would a chest spec look like:
day 1 - bench 4x8
incline fly 3x10-12
rows 3x8
side laterals 3x10
bi's 3x10
tri's 3x10

day 2
incline bench 4x8
peck dec 3x10-12
lat pulldown 3x8
upright rows 3x10
facepulls 3x20
bi's 3x12
tri's 3x12
All the answers to your questions are in this thread. You clearly haven't read through whole thing.

Oh hang on a minute, I forgot. You're special aren't you. You shouldn't need to read through threads like everybody else does. You're entitled to special treatment because you're special.
Unread 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM

Are triceps considered a small body part enough to work both back & triceps specialization ? Or should I consider a back cycle first and switching to triceps on the next one ?

(Was planning something like following... I don't have the hammer high row machine mentionned in first post is any chest supported row a good replacement ? What could be the third back exercise for the 15-20 rep range ? should I put facepulls ?)

Upper day
Weighted Chinups 5x5 3'
Chest supported row 3x8-12 1.5' (pronated or hammer ?)
Another back ex for 2x15-20 1' ?
CGBP 4x6-8 3'
Skullcrushers 3x8-12 1.5'
Inclined kickbacks 2-3x15-20 1' ?
Cable flys 2x6-8 + 1x8-12
Lat raises 2-3x8-12
biceps 1-2x12-15

It seems like a long workout and I don't know if cable flys are necessary after CGBP, do you think it's a good idea ? would you change anything ? Or totally split in one back cycle and one triceps cycle ?
Unread 11-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Do them on seperate days. My preference is aba split or if you have 4 days

Back/chest (2 sets db bench or inclines)
Off
Tri/delt/calves
Off
Back/abs/bi
Tri/leg (lp+lc)
Off

The chest on first day will have minimal effects on the first tri day imo. Exercise selection isn't a deal breaker as long as its kinda logical. Chest supported rows are dope. That along with chinups (or lat pull) is great.

Last edited by w1cked : 11-03-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Unread 11-04-2017, 05:09 AM

That would mean only one Leg Day per week, I like doing it twice :/
And I can only workouts from Monday to friday so eventually it May be better to do it on two different cycles, but thanks for the Help and I'm still listening for advices
Unread 11-07-2017, 08:31 AM

So I will probably just do back specialization for the moment doing it twice a week (on tuesday & friday) :
- chinups 5x5 3'
- chest sup row 3x8-12 2' (hammer grip)
- facepulls 2x15-20 1.5'
- BP 2x6-8+1x10-12 3'
- Lat raises 2-3x8-12 2'
- Biceps 2x12-15 1.5' (dumbbell hammer on day 1, dumbbell curl on d2)
- Triceps 2x12-15 1.5' (skullcrushers on both days)

Is everything fine like this ? I'm not sure of doing Lat raises with a proper form could it be better to do upright row even with an already worked back ?(otherwise I'll check again some lat raises in scapular plane videos and follow my workout) again if you see an issue with the exercises selection I'll be glad to hear it and correct my routine (but I don't think it's very far from the back specialization described by Lyle on the first page)