BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-16-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Minimal maintenance routine

For a few reasons I just feel like spending little time at the gym...this good enough to maintain strength/muscle? Basically alternating upper and lower every other day uxlxuxlx....

Upper:

Incline barbell: 2x5-8
Hammer row of some sort: 2x5-8
Incline db: 2x6-10
Chest supported row: 2x6-10
Laterals/curls/tricep pushdown/rear delr: 2x8-15

Lower:

Good mornings: 2x8-12
Leg press: 2x8-12
Leg curl: 2x8-12
Standing calf: 2x5-8
Ab wheel: 2x10-20
Seated calf: 2x8-12
Back extensions: 2x10-20

I've been basically doing this 2x a week each with a few.more sets here and there for a while.
Unread 08-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Yeah it could be. Maybe something else for the quads since it looks like leg press is the only thing? But I don't know, I just know you're pretty advanced and I tend to error on the conservative side of things.

You can always just try it and see how strength, measurements, weight, and the mirror turn out.
Unread 08-17-2017, 12:43 AM

Some questions and personal suggestions:
- Why do you only train chest at an incline plane? I would substitute one for a flat or decline press. Or this: one flat, one OHP, one incline fly.
- Why do you do 2 rows? I would substitute one for lat pull down or pull ups.
- Why do you do good mornings first and then leg press? I would swap them.
- Why do you do 2 hamstring exercises and 1 quad exercise? Consider adding leg extension or replace good morning with a deadlift-like exercise.

The rest seems okay. Maybe volume is a little low for muscle groups you only do one exercise for and don't really have overlap (like calves). It also depends on how long you're taking a maintenance break.
Unread 08-17-2017, 05:05 AM

If you're genetically good (you are), one set of each will almost certainly be enough to maintain.
Unread 08-17-2017, 05:40 AM

@ioc- thanks. Will add in 2 sets of hack squats too

@ farrenator: like inclines, flats screw with my ac joint. Haven't done em in years. I forgot to say i do some machine flyes eveey other time which are horizontal.
Also I mention row generically. One is vertical one horizontal. Reason for hams first is because my quads overpower things and looks imbalanced. I will add 2nd quad in though probably hacks. I'll add some more lateral and calves too then.

@ npp thanks mate I'm brown with small wrists prolly as pleb toer genes as they come

Thanks gents this has given me ideas to amend my routine
Unread 08-17-2017, 06:11 AM

id say you need to keep a resonable ammount of intensity doing what you were previously doing - whatever that is - just less frequenctly and less volume

i dont know what you were normally doing so i dont know if your propsed routine is ok

i dont think you can just ask if isome random routine is enough, its all relative to what you normally do
Unread 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM

Just to update, the routine has worked pretty nice. I am doing 3 days a week vs every other day, upper lower upper. The 2nd upper day is after a 12 hr workday in a factory, can knock it out under an hr supersetting instrad of resting between the heavy sets. Quick workouta, joint feel good, making mild strength gains or at least maintaining lifts.
Unread 09-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Just to update, the routine has worked pretty nice. I am doing 3 days a week vs every other day, upper lower upper. The 2nd upper day is after a 12 hr workday in a factory, can knock it out under an hr supersetting instrad of resting between the heavy sets. Quick workouta, joint feel good, making mild strength gains or at least maintaining lifts.
Have you been doing upper1/lower/upper2 one week and then lower/upper/lower the next, or just two uppers every week?
Unread 09-22-2017, 12:29 AM

Two uppers. I don't care much for lower and find myself enjoying hitting the inclines and hammers hard more frequently. Doing incline/row/db incline one day and row/incline/row 2 another.
Unread 09-22-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Two uppers. I don't care much for lower and find myself enjoying hitting the inclines and hammers hard more frequently. Doing incline/row/db incline one day and row/incline/row 2 another.
Right on. Sounds solid and sounds like it's working for you.