BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-29-2017, 01:06 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. I became a dad and lifting has lost priority sifnificantly, but I do not want to give it up entirely. Is high protein intake and a frequency of every 5th to 6th day enough to maintain muscle while cutting, assuming I do a fully body workout with 5 to 6 sets for the big muscle groups and 2 to 3 sets for smaller muscles every time while really maintaining intensity?

Last edited by funkord : 09-29-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Unread 09-29-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkord View Post
I have been wondering the same thing. I became a dad and lifting has lost priority sifnificantly, but I do not want to give it up entirely. Is high protein intake and a frequency of every 5th to 6th day enough to maintain muscle while cutting, assuming I do a fully body workout with 5 to 6 sets for the big muscle groups and 2 to 3 sets for smaller muscles every time while really maintaining intensity?
Yeah imo thats sufficient. Congrats. Thats part of my reason,2. Kiddo just turned 1
Unread 09-29-2017, 01:58 PM

You'd like this

https://www.muscleforlife.com/mainta...-and-strength/
Unread 10-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Rennaissance Periodization did a great job of sumarizing hypertrophy landmarks recently; these included minimum volumes required to maintain a muscle size, split by body part. From memory, for experienced lifters, most body parts require at least 8 (hypertrophy-oriented) work sets per week to maintain, the exceptions being 4 weekly sets for triceps and biceps (because you use arms in virtually all other exercises anyway) and 4 weekly sets for harmstrings (because harmstrings tend to be more fast-twitch dominant for most people, and can therefore handle more weight at the expense of lower volume endurance).

(Personally, if I were to design a minimum maintenance programme, I would prefer doing two sessions per week).
Unread 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Yeah I read up on that. I maintain leg size on 3 sets/wk, I think Israetel's recommendations for minimum to be not that accurate.
Unread 10-26-2017, 04:23 PM

I went from cutting on 8 sets/week for large muscles and three for small with little to no loss.

Now I using Lyle's specialization and doing 6 large and 4 small sets/week with no loss.

Just my experience, fwiw.
Unread 10-26-2017, 07:50 PM

Neat, that jives with my experience too. What bodyparts are you specializing on? I'm gonna start some in couple weeks too.
Unread 10-27-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumi View Post
Rennaissance Periodization did a great job of sumarizing hypertrophy landmarks recently; these included minimum volumes required to maintain a muscle size, split by body part. From memory, for experienced lifters, most body parts require at least 8 (hypertrophy-oriented) work sets per week to maintain, the exceptions being 4 weekly sets for triceps and biceps (because you use arms in virtually all other exercises anyway) and 4 weekly sets for harmstrings (because harmstrings tend to be more fast-twitch dominant for most people, and can therefore handle more weight at the expense of lower volume endurance).

(Personally, if I were to design a minimum maintenance programme, I would prefer doing two sessions per week).
I read through that series a while back. He does have a lot of good ideas that I agree with. Among them: counting number of hard sets in a moderate repetition range as the primary way to measure volume, accounting for overlap in a logical way, advocating different frequencies and volumes depending on the size and specifics of particular muscle groups, and some others that I'm forgetting at the moment.

That said, I think his volume landmarks are unreasonably high pretty much across the board. Even if you go to 4-5x/week training and keep some muscle groups at the (relatively high) maintenance recommendations, it's still a really large number of sets. The average person will struggle to recover from the workload.
Unread 10-27-2017, 07:11 AM

^ i actually started doing the # hard sets (1 to 3 reps shy of failure) to track and really like it. I set mine to 5 to 10 reps mostly instead of 8 to 15 (or 20?) Mike recommends but I'm not looking to really maximize hypertrophy as much either.
Unread 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Neat, that jives with my experience too. What bodyparts are you specializing on? I'm gonna start some in couple weeks too.
Started with quads/pecs and now I'm on lats/hams. Following the routine as written and really liking it. The GBR style bulk was getting to be too much with little return.