BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-21-2017, 11:11 PM

Default Rotator cuff

So whenever I try to bench with a normal grip I get really bad pain in my shoulders, whereas if i go out wide with the grip (to where I almost have difficulty racking the bar bc my fingers are nearly in the rack) the discomfort isnt noticeable.

I've discovered through some minor research this sounds like a weak rotator cuff issue which would make sense given my training the last year or so.

I've seen a couple videos of suggestions for rotator cuff exercises. I was wondering is this the type of thing I should be doing high reps? 3 times a week? Sets across? Only on certain workout days? I haven't found any solid recommendations.

If you have any particular links I'm interested in learning more

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 09-21-2017, 11:36 PM

I don't think you should bench press, but also you should probably quit lifting.
Unread 09-22-2017, 12:24 AM

Bulgarian split squats and fasted chinups should bring up rotator cuffs.
Unread 09-22-2017, 04:38 AM

300mg of Test E in each shoulder and it should bring up the rotator cuff.
Unread 09-22-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
+1

I heard the same
Unread 09-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Check out 7 minute Rotator Cuff Solution by Jerry Robinson. I haven't read it (or if I have, I have long since forgotten about it) but have read good reviews on it.

The practical solution to your bench problem is probably to just not bench. Unless you're a powerlifter, you don't have to bench. Use dumbbells or an incline or dips or...

There are 4 rotator cuff muscles.

Supraspinatus: abduction, activated more at low abduction angles (think cable or lying/incline laterals, not standing dumbbell laterals)

Subscapularis: internal rotation

Infraspinatus and Teres minor: external rotation

There are secondary functions and all are involved in stability.

Programming recommendations, where you can find them, all over the map. A simple recommendation is 1-2 sets of L-flys 1-2x/week as most people have weak external rotators. Put them where they won't interfere with other training, e.g. at the end of upper body work where the next day is an off day or some day where you won't be working through the shoulder.

Do some cable side laterals somewhere for lateral delt hypertrophy work (also covers supraspinatus) and forget about the internal rotation part unless you really want to work the subscapularis (throw in a set here and there if you have to.)

Btw, some people work the external rotators as part of face pulls. Check out the thread I made the other day. My experiment with those has ended but they might work out better for you.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 09-22-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Unread 09-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
I don't think you should bench press, but also you should probably quit lifting.
Giving up bench press is certainly an option that I'm considering, but I'd like to try strengthening my rotator cuff first.

With a torn pectoral muscle, bench press seems to be one of the worst exercises to resume. I certainly don't plan on going back to ~200 lbs ever again on the bench, but I feel like bringing my strength up to moderate levels will actually help me age better as well as offset any extreme muscular imbalances.

Why do you think I should quit lifting? Altogether? That seems like a questionable recommendation. I've definitely incorporated more calisthenics this year, but I'm only 35 and not quite ready to give it up altogether.

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 09-22-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Good one, always cool to derail threads

Unread 09-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Check out 7 minute Rotator Cuff Solution by Jerry Robinson. I haven't read it (or if I have, I have long since forgotten about it) but have read good reviews on it.

The practical solution to your bench problem is probably to just not bench. Unless you're a powerlifter, you don't have to bench. Use dumbbells or an incline or dips or...

There are 4 rotator cuff muscles.

Supraspinatus: abduction, activated more at low abduction angles (think cable or lying/incline laterals, not standing dumbbell laterals)

Subscapularis: internal rotation

Infraspinatus and Teres minor: external rotation

There are secondary functions and all are involved in stability.

Programming recommendations, where you can find them, all over the map. A simple recommendation is 1-2 sets of L-flys 1-2x/week as most people have weak external rotators. Put them where they won't interfere with other training, e.g. at the end of upper body work where the next day is an off day or some day where you won't be working through the shoulder.

Do some cable side laterals somewhere for lateral delt hypertrophy work (also covers supraspinatus) and forget about the internal rotation part unless you really want to work the subscapularis (throw in a set here and there if you have to.)

Btw, some people work the external rotators as part of face pulls. Check out the thread I made the other day. My experiment with those has ended but they might work out better for you.
Thank you will give all of this a run through. I'd really like to bring them up to speed because I've had several friends tear rotator cuffs and I'm not interested in doing it myself

Unread 09-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Giving up bench press is certainly an option that I'm considering, but I'd like to try strengthening my rotator cuff first.

With a torn pectoral muscle, bench press seems to be one of the worst exercises to resume. I certainly don't plan on going back to ~200 lbs ever again on the bench, but I feel like bringing my strength up to moderate levels will actually help me age better as well as offset any extreme muscular imbalances.

Why do you think I should quit lifting? Altogether? That seems like a questionable recommendation. I've definitely incorporated more calisthenics this year, but I'm only 35 and not quite ready to give it up altogether.
I was just kidding. Except you don't seem to be doing very well at lifting. Lots of people don't lift and live happy lives and look great, but I'm better than that. There might be a more fitting fitness fixation for you.

Bench press is pretty hard. Lots of people get hurt. It kind of hurts me, but I take it easy, and I have no major issues. No need to bench. There is no need. You'll never be competitive. Choose something kinder to you, so you can compete with yourself and not lose to your shoulders.