BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-23-2017, 03:39 AM

Default L5S1 herniated disk

Hello everybody,

I've been diagnosed with a light herniated disk l5-s1 (the herniation must be from two months ago but i've done an mri only yestersay which revealed it...), during this time and still now I was doing lyle gbr as workout but stopped squatting à while ago (because it was painful) so basically on the lower day was doing 3x5 Deadlifts and 3x6-8 Leg press for the first part. I dont have any pain doing those mouvements but should I stop or lower the weight in order to Help the herniated disk to heal ?

I've read that reverse hyper extensions could Help, should I switch deadlift for them ? Should I put weight ?

I know it must feel Stupid to ask internet for injures Help but doctors told me so différent things... From "it's nothing keep going on sport to stop everything completely"

I dont have sciatica pain btw just the small hernia which cause à pain sometime when I hyper bend or hyper extend
Unread 09-25-2017, 07:04 AM

I hurt my back about a month ago (it suddenly hurt and tightened up while on the erg), and went to see a doctor last week because it's healing so slowly.

From the x-ray, it looks like I have an L4, L5, or S1 disc that's herniated (I'd have to do an MRI to be sure). It doesn't hurt anymore, but I still can't touch my toes because of how tight my lower back/hips are (prior to the injury I could go past my toes) or run because the impact hurts my hips.

Anyway, that was just to establish some credibility for my advice, which is that you see a physiotherapist and combine whatever advice you get from her/him with whatever your doctor says. That's what I'm doing, at least.
Unread 09-28-2017, 03:29 AM

I'm seeing my regular doc on saturday, he will probably give me pt sessions.

For now i've removed tbar row from my lyle gbr workout (replaced them by chest supported row... I think it wont change much in term of muscular dev), I'm still doing Deadlifts but I'm not using mixed grip anymore, so in double overhand I'm lifting less-> less stress on spine
(I was doing 3x5@160kg previously now I'm back to 120 :-))

And I'm doing 3x10-15 reverse hyper extensions at the end of every workout.

The radiolog (the doctor specialized in radio, scanner and mri, dont know the english Word.. Sorry) told me not to worry and keep going on sport, but I didnt have time to tell her which sport I m doing.

Well at least I dont have pain, I just dont want things to get worse hope regular doc & pt will Help, and maybe I will do another mri in few months to see the évolution
Unread 10-05-2017, 08:20 AM

PryomanXP,

Do you stretch hip flexors regularly or otherwise have good mobility there? In some cases your type of issue is brought on by over-arching the low back to compensate for the tightness and try to stay up right in the squat.

If that ends up being the problem, it's a free and easy fix. Google lower cross syndrome, anterior pelvic tilt, etc.
Unread 10-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Yes it's part of the problem (or maybe the only problem) I'll see with the PT on monday (took many time to get an appointment).

But now as the herniated disk is there I've switched to Sumo deadlift in my routine, it's working like a charm (with lowered weight of course, I'm doing it as rehab, today I did 3x5 @ 120 again, will increase 5kg per week I think), I think I should have switched from conventional deadlift to sumo way before, because I don't have long arme, but a very long torso and not so long legs...

For now I totally stopped squatting I will work on my mobillity before squatting again (and be sure that my herniated disk is ok again)

I've also added 3x15 reverse hyper at the end of each workout as I saw on many internet pages & forums they could help, and for me I feel better after doing them so it's nice.
Unread 10-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Okay so I've had a pretty bad herniated disc at L5-S1 when I was 19 and to this day (I'm almost 27) I still get some lower back pain and sciatica once in a blue moon. I also ended up having surgery as well.

This is something you really don't want to mess with...it is your spine. Drop the squats immediately; even if your form is perfect, the exercise will compress the spine. I would not suggest dead lifting either for obvious reasons.

You really should be cautious here and avoid any exercises that could possibly make this situation worse. You even have to be careful with certain stretches. I would suggest correcting any posture issues (anterior pelvic tilt for instance) and slowly work up your core strength. Look into the McKenzie press-ups and take the PT seriously. As far as cardio if you do any, walking should be sufficient.

Also a few life changes to consider that will help in the long-run:

-Sleep with a below under your knees / between your knees if you sleep on the side

-Bend always with the knees not the back

-when getting up out of bed; don't sit up or roll up. Kind of roll to your side and slouch out.
Unread 10-08-2017, 03:25 AM

You had surgery and you still get lower back and sciatic pain sometimes? I'm curious if you looked into why that happens- was the surgery not done properly?

More importantly though, how did you/the doctor know that you needed surgery? I ask because I've had sciatic pain for almost two months now and I'm scheduled to get an MRI soon to see if I need surgery.

Also: I met someone just yesterday who's had sciatic pain for years, but doesn't want the surgery because, according to him, the risk of permanent paralysis is too great. Is this something you looked into as well? If so, what made you decide to take the risk? (or is the risk not as great as this person said?)

Sorry for all the questions, davidjr74. I'm a man in pain and can't help myself...