BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-30-2017, 07:19 AM

Default Brad Scoenfeld on Frequency

Lyle was right again! As Brad's FB post:

"Based on the findings of several studies that will be published soon, it is looking more and more as though resistance training frequency plays at best a minor role in hypertrophy when volume is equated. There appears to be no benefit to training a muscle group more than twice per week. In fact there is some evidence that higher volumes within a session are superior to spreading out the volume over more frequent weekly sessions (i.e. 2 vs 3; 2 vs 4). Now perhaps very high frequencies (i.e. 3 vs 6) are needed to show greater gains; our new study on this topic is getting underway shortly so we will see..."

He even elaborates in his comments saying that 2 times frequency per muscle per week is slightly better than 1 time frequency. But there no greater benefits by training more than 2!

Lol why do I get the feeling that in 1 year from now everyone is going to be doing Lyle's Spec training ..
Unread 09-30-2017, 09:09 AM

Good find. There's an obsession with volume and frequency these days.
Unread 09-30-2017, 11:02 AM

That's why programs like Upper/Lower 2x per week, PPL 2x per week, Upper/Lower/P/P/L work great.
Unread 10-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Amazing how nothing has changed over the last 30 years.
Unread 10-01-2017, 06:10 PM

This is certainly interesting, and for most people 2X a week is a great balance on something like the GBR, which in my experience allows for solid volume and recovery.
However, higher frequencies allow you to accumulate more volume, so if volume is the primary driver of hypertrophy (and the literature would point in this direction) then in practice one would likely accumulate more volume on a higher frequency plan.

This does show that the isolated variable (Frequency) isn't causative of more hypertrophy in of itself beyond the point of 2X per week. (MPS still lasts 72 hours even in trained subjects, which Lyle has pointed out I think)

I think true high frequency (Beyond 2-3 times per week) makes the most sense in a specialization cycle.
Unread 10-02-2017, 05:08 AM

Push, Pull, Legs - 4/5x times per week for the win
Unread 10-02-2017, 03:30 PM

For strength/Olympic lifting training a movement multiple times a week can be great. But for bodybuilding goals not so much.
Unread 10-04-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlifter View Post
For strength/Olympic lifting training a movement multiple times a week can be great. But for bodybuilding goals not so much.
Exactly. Not everyone trains just for hypertrophy. For more complex movements, and for Olympic lifting in particular, you need to train more frequently.

I think that many people overestimate how much they can accelerate their hypertrophy progress by "optimizing" things. Whatever you do, with decent training, any additional muscle gains virtually crawl to a stop after four to five years. You might as well stop worrying about muscle gains after a while and focus on improving the performance or on doing things with your body that you enjoy and lift the weights to maintain what you have.

As for the frequency/volume issue, I believe that there may be some minimum per-session volume threshold that you need to exceed to progress any further, and that it's not just the overal volume per week that matters. One of my most productive programmes entailed two fullbody sessions per week with very high per-session volumes; the sessions were very hard and I had to be very strict about recovery to manage the fatigue, but the overall progress was excellent despite the relatively low frequency.
Unread 10-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid100 View Post
Now perhaps very high frequencies (i.e. 3 vs 6) are needed to show greater gains; our new study on this topic is getting underway shortly so we will see..."
lol, I actually emailed him maybe 6 months to a year ago about how he should do a study comparing 3 times a week vs. 6 times a week.

This is the email I sent him back in march:

Quote:
Brad,

I know that you do a ton of studies on different factors and how they influence hypertrophy. I know that you did a review on training frequency and mentioned a couple studies about higher frequency (or training on consecutive days) produced good results. I am sure you are familiar with Pavel Tsatsouline's "greasing the groove" type of lifting. I have not been able to find any studies about lifting every day though there are a lot of testimonials saying it produces great results. Specifically Dan John's 40 days of consecutive lifting seems to get good results:

http://danjohn.net/2013/12/the-forty-day-workout-again/

Anyway, have you ever thought about doing a study where half of the people do a 3 day full body workout with maybe 2 sets per lift and then compare it to people doing 1 set per lift 6 days a week. Same amount of sets, reps, etc, just 3 days vs. 6? It just seems like every study compares training frequencies of 1, 2, or 3 non consecutive days. What do you think?
And his response:

"That's a valid topic to study but it's a logistical nightmare trying to get subjects to come in 6 days a week and staffing to have the research team come in that frequently."
Unread 10-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Cool. I bought his MAX muscle plan book and his hypertrophy textbook. He has some really cool training routines in there.. im going to start using his upper lower splits.. they are high volume though!