BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-02-2017, 04:04 PM

Default Shoulder Pain while Benching

Hi Lyle and everyone,

I have been heavy lifting and benching for almost a decade now. At 166 lbs I am benching 275x8. However, when I do bench (once a week for upper day) I always feel a slight discomfort in 1 of my shoulders. I only feel this when I bench and I used to feel it when I would overhead military press with a barbell, but I stopped that.
My shoulder feels fine every other time, its just when I bench I feel that slight pain/discomfort.

-Should I take out benching from the mix and just focus on flys?
-Should I lighten the weight and just really focus on form and engaging the pecs? I ask this because I often bench till failure.
-Something else?
Unread 10-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Administrator

A man goes to the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this." And the doc says "So don't do that."

Meditate on this and become enlightened.
Unread 10-02-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
A man goes to the doctor and says "Doc, it hurts when I do this." And the doc says "So don't do that."

Meditate on this and become enlightened.
Gotcha. Thank you Lyle. So, if you could please help, what would be a good substitute for bench?

Day 1 (currently)
Bench 3x8
Incline FLY 3x10-12

Day 2 Upper
Incline Press 3x10-12
Peck Deck 3x10-12
Unread 10-03-2017, 09:32 AM

Dumbbell presses, flyes, machine presses, machine flies, pec deck, pushups, dips. Add to that incline, decline, and other variants of those exercises.
Unread 10-03-2017, 09:39 AM

To add to that, I normally wouldn't replace something like bench press with an isolation move for a primary movement. You can probably find some kind of variation with a different apparatus or slightly different degree of incline though. Basically just find something you can progress safely.

Many people find that a slight decline or a slight incline is easier on their shoulders. Others find dumbbells or a machine press can do the same. You have to find what works for you.
Unread 10-03-2017, 09:55 AM

Okay, thanks.

So, is my best bet trying dumbbells first? And then, go to Flat Hammer Strength if that doesn't work?

I already have 1 day where I do incline barbell, so I figure twice a week inclines wouldn't be the best bet.
Unread 10-03-2017, 12:50 PM

It's not unheard of for advanced bodybuilders to move to inclines only or at least an incline focus, whether it be for shoulder care or aesthetics. Personally I like a more balanced approach, perhaps with a slight emphasis toward exercises that target the sternocostal head (flat press, dips, etc.) as that makes up the bulk of the pecs.

That's something you're going to have to figure out for yourself though. If flat dumbbell press works well for you then probably go with those. Otherwise use the hammer strength or some other exercise.

Make sure you have the technique down to get flat DB press into and out of position. Basically you put them on your thighs and 'kick' them into position at the start, and then bring them back to the thighs and ride them up at the end. This can be impractical with very heavy dumbbells, but it's usually not an issue for most people in moderate repetition ranges.
Unread 10-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post

Make sure you have the technique down to get flat DB press into and out of position. Basically you put them on your thighs and 'kick' them into position at the start, and then bring them back to the thighs and ride them up at the end. This can be impractical with very heavy dumbbells, but it's usually not an issue for most people in moderate repetition ranges.
This. This is the problem why I am not a huge fan of dumbbells. When I was doing them heavy (6-8 reps) it is difficult to get them up, even with kicking them into position; taking them off the floor takes out half of my energy.

I will try to lighten the weight on the bench first.. if that doesn't work I guess one day inclines and one day hammer strength may be my best option?
Unread 10-03-2017, 05:26 PM

That's fine.
Unread 10-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks!