BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-04-2017, 10:43 AM

Mirroring what Alpha said. Barbell bothers my elbows and shoulders. Went dumbbell and never looked back. No joint problems since except old elbow tendonitis rarely flaring up.

Also dumbbells make it so no spot is needed, which is really nice. IMO getting them up isn't difficult. Pop them up as you lean back to get them into position. You can always drop if can't get the first one up.
Unread 10-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Ymmv...

Flats screwed my shoulders eventually kept trying out form changes etc to no avail. I stick with incline barbell and shallow incline dumbbells now exclusively with occasional machine flyes (flat plane really). Hammers are great. I'm not a fan of the flat onea but the inclines and the wides are great. Again your anthropometry might be different but as a slim guy with long arms this worked for me.
Unread 10-04-2017, 01:18 PM

Thank you to both of you.. I'm not a tall guy at all.. I'm 5'4.5, so my arms aren't that long. I benched for close to 10 years with no problems. I'm 29 now and my left shoulder has just felt discomfort from the bench for the past 2 months. I'm afraid of long term damage..

I'll try it today and take off some weight and see how it feels.. if it still feels funny then i'll try the slight incline dumbbells and then hammer strength if that doesn't work..
Unread 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Mirroring what Alpha said. Barbell bothers my elbows and shoulders. Went dumbbell and never looked back. No joint problems since except old elbow tendonitis rarely flaring up.

Also dumbbells make it so no spot is needed, which is really nice. IMO getting them up isn't difficult. Pop them up as you lean back to get them into position. You can always drop if can't get the first one up.
Which type of progression scheme do you follow? How often are you increasing the weight on the DBs? Monthly?
Unread 10-04-2017, 02:53 PM

I don't use DB's I have been use bench. The Db's were an idea to try in place of the bench.

As of now I was doing 3 sets of 6-8 reps on the bench. After 285 at 6 reps and my shoulder aggravation I dropped the weight to 275 at 8 reps..

Now I just tried benching 265x8 and my shoulder didn't feel as bad, so maybe i'll continue training bench a little lighter and have about 2 reps left in the tank and if i'm going to train to failure do it for an isolation like flys
Unread 10-09-2017, 11:41 PM

Sounds like it could be a rotator cuff issue.

Try adding rotator cuff strengthening exercises to your routine. I do a lot of them in between my warmup sets on the bench and it has helped a great deal.

Also, widening your grip will take your shoulders out of play a bit more. Decline bench press does as well

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 10-10-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Sounds like it could be a rotator cuff issue.

Try adding rotator cuff strengthening exercises to your routine. I do a lot of them in between my warmup sets on the bench and it has helped a great deal.
I feel as if I've read before doing rotator cuff exercises BEFORE you bench is a bad idea. Because you don't want to weaken/tire these smaller muscles prior to doing a major movement like bench.

I've always done mine at the end of my workouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Also, widening your grip will take your shoulders out of play a bit more. Decline bench press does as well
I switched to decline years ago because flat was screwing up my shoulders. Because decline naturally pulled my elbows in and put me in a better/pain free position. I always thought a wide grip was worse when you had shoulder issues. Narrowing your grip to shoulder width or so, retracting shoulder blades...etc. helps.

At least for me, widening my grip on bench just makes things worse...
Unread 10-10-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I feel as if I've read before doing rotator cuff exercises BEFORE you bench is a bad idea. Because you don't want to weaken/tire these smaller muscles prior to doing a major movement like bench.

I've always done mine at the end of my workouts.
Agreed.. just do it at the end.
Unread 10-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Well narrowing the grip puts more triceps in the exercise... but widening it emphasizes the pecs a lot more. For me I have to go wide grip to not experience shoulder pain but I'm sure everyone has different issues. Like I put all my fingers outside the second knurl... I almost have difficulty racking the bar without a spotter.

But yes the best advice is probably retracting the shoulder blades I forgot to mention that. Overall, benching really is tough and if you're already doing big weights it's probably time to switch to something less taxing. I know several friends who had to get rotator cuff surgery who had huge bench press numbers...

I guess doing major rotator cuff exercises before benching is probably a bad idea. I do things like use the 5 lb weight in an East/West tennis like motion and in a Hello motion up and in down at 90 degree angle. It seems to warm everything up... I do a couple face pulls as well but yes I don't go heavy at all prior to benching.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.