BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Default MAX Muscle Plan and The Science of Muscular Hypertrophy by Brad Schoenfeld

Hello all,

Like most of you I have been reading Brad Scoenfelds research on muscular hypertrophy and I even picked up both of his books. I'm not sure if anyone has read the books but he outlines some specific training programs.

Lyle, his MAX muscle book advocates a few different mesocycles, and a few of them are extremely high volume. He has a few upper/lower splits and they are even more volume than the GBR. His upper days have 29 sets (7 for chest, 7 for back, 7 for delts, 4 for bis, 4 for tri's) . He also has a 6 day routine which is Chest/Back, Legs, Delts/Arms, Off, Chest/Back, Legs, Delts/Arms repeat with even more volume. He recommends his plans for anyone who is not a newb and has training experience, so it is suited for intermediate and advanced lifters. What do you think of this type of training? Is it too high volume? Is it asking for an injury? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Unread 10-19-2017, 04:26 PM

I hate to second guess Brad, but I'm just not a huge fan of the routines in the Max book. For some of the reasons you listed plus he has you switching movements and rep schemes pretty often. It would be hard to make consistent progress with a lift before you are switching to something else in the next cycle. I'm in the camp of pick the movements that let you effectively target a muscle and then work them regularly and get as strong as possible with them.
Unread 10-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Chest/back, legs, delts/arm good split. Would put a rest day so its 3 on 1 off though not 6 days a,week
Unread 10-20-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLifting145 View Post
a few of them are extremely high volume. He has a few upper/lower splits and they are even more volume than the GBR. His upper days have 29 sets (7 for chest, 7 for back, 7 for delts, 4 for bis, 4 for tri's).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same volume as GBR? GBR gives a set-range of 3-4 for the primary movement and 2-3 for the secondary one. That's 5 to 7 sets per muscle-group per workout.
Unread 10-20-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Chest/back, legs, delts/arm good split. Would put a rest day so its 3 on 1 off though not 6 days a,week
Yes, I agree. If it was 4-5 days a week. But 6 days without 1 day of rest is difficult. So 1 of those workouts is Delts/Arms after chest/back day.
Unread 10-20-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same volume as GBR? GBR gives a set-range of 3-4 for the primary movement and 2-3 for the secondary one. That's 5 to 7 sets per muscle-group per workout.
Yes, GBR is far less:
Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'
Row: 3-4X6-8/3'
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'
= 18 total Sets if doing higher end of sets.

MAX Routine Upper by Brad = 29 sets
Unread 10-20-2017, 07:51 AM

You're right, didn't notice the delt volume.
Unread 10-20-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLifting145 View Post

MAX Routine Upper by Brad = 29 sets
That's only for one mesocycle of his program though. There's several others in the program with much less.
Unread 10-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm587 View Post
That's only for one mesocycle of his program though. There's several others in the program with much less.
Yes.. there are some mesocycles with less volume.. But, those mesocycles that I am referring to last for a good amount time, at minimum at least 3 weeks each. So 3 weeks of the high volume upper/lower and 3 weeks of high volume 6 day a week training. So I don't know, I am thinking this is too much based on Lyle's recommendaitons. If the GBR becomes too much once someone becomes advanced and thats only 18 sets for upper body, then wouldn't 29 sets be overkill, even if there are mesocycles cycled in with less volume?
Unread 10-20-2017, 04:33 PM

I haven't looked at anything specifically but adding in some superswts of delt work on the end of an upper body session you could add in 6-8 sets of lat raises and rear delt flys in 15 minutes without generating much extra fatigue

Let's be honest once your past the pushing and pulling the isolation work is the easy part

As opposed to squats where 1 extra set could make you a cripple for the next 2 days