BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-28-2017, 04:53 PM

Default Trap bar deadlifts instead of RDL or straight bar deadlifts

I prefer the setup of a trap bar for deadlifts over the straight bar or even RDLs, especially because I have some lower back issues. Would using it in place of those two on a lower body day in a GBR setup make sense?
Unread 10-29-2017, 02:24 AM

Yes, it makes sense. It's overloadable and has a comparable movement pattern.
Unread 10-29-2017, 06:59 AM

The movement pattern isn't really that compatible to an RDL or straight DL - it's more like a squat. That means less hamstring activation:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659894
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28151780
Unread 10-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post
The movement pattern isn't really that compatible to an RDL or straight DL - it's more like a squat. That means less hamstring activation:
And with low back issues, that's perfectly fine and can be fixed with a damn leg curl
Unread 10-29-2017, 08:34 AM
Administrator

To the OP, there is NO movement you have to do for growth.

The GBR movements are suggestions

Do

Leg press
Leg curl
Leg extension
Seated leg curl

For all it matters if your low back is wonkyl
Unread 10-29-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRippedZilla View Post
By comparable I mean it's a pulling movement (like DL and RDL) and not like, let's say, a biceps curl. Therefore, it fits the GBR template.
Unread 10-29-2017, 09:51 AM

A terrific exercise and a big improvement over the conventional DL and maybe even squat for many people, self included.

My issues with squatting: I'm not built to squat, I'm terrible at it, and I hate it. Overly harsh on my knees at depth.

My issues with conventional deadlift: The bar is too low to the ground, can't maintain a neutral back at the bottom because I'm tall and skipped too many mobility sessions, lower back isn't all that robust either.

Trap bar DL with raised handles solves all of these problems. Of course, which handles to use and whether to use the exercise at all will depend on your goals, body type, etc.

I like to program it as both a heavy 'push' (or quad) AND heavy 'pull'; that is it takes the place of both a heavy quad and heavy posterior chain exercise because it is a sort of hybrid exercise and distributes the stress very well across various joints and muscle groups.

Then add in some higher rep work for hypertrophy, so do leg press, leg curl, calf raises, back extensions, or whatever.

One more thing about a trap bar DL is you have to be mature about it. You can load it very heavily (typically more than conventional DL) and there's more freedom of movement due to not being sort of locked in by a barbell. Insist on perfect form on every rep, a good idea for all forms of DL but especially true with this one. You can go heavy without going to failure; if you have to go to failure then do it on the assistance work. Also don't hyperextend at the end of the rep-- again, more freedom of movement/not guided by a barbell.

Also just getting the bar in position on the floor can be a little awkward. You can carry a 20kg/44lb/45lb barbell into position like a flag pole easily. Many trap bars weigh 75lb and are quite a bit more awkward to carry due to the shape. I can imagine somebody out there tweaking their back just trying to set the thing down. It hasn't ever happened to me and I'm unsure of how common such a thing is, but thought I'd mention it so you're not the first one I hear about it from.
Unread 10-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I like to program it as both a heavy 'push' (or quad) AND heavy 'pull'; that is it takes the place of both a heavy quad and heavy posterior chain exercise because it is a sort of hybrid exercise and distributes the stress very well across various joints and muscle groups.

Then add in some higher rep work for hypertrophy, so do leg press, leg curl, calf raises, back extensions, or whatever.
Another similar thing I've done before is to make a trap bar DL the cornerstone of a legs and back workout. So in addition to the above exercises (or substitutions), I'd add pull ups and maaybe a bit of rear delt/biceps work. It makes for a pretty rough workout though so you have to play around with it. Trap bar DL + pull ups compliment each other pretty well for back work but it would be expected to have compound pulling on at least one other day as well.
Unread 10-29-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
To the OP, there is NO movement you have to do for growth.

The GBR movements are suggestions

Do

Leg press
Leg curl
Leg extension
Seated leg curl

For all it matters if your low back is wonkyl
Thanks for the replies everyone. There's only a seated leg curl at my gym so Ill go with

Lower 1

Leg press
Trap bar deadlift
Leg extension
Seated leg curl
Calves/Abs

Lower 2

Leg press
Weighed Hyperextensions
DB Split Squat
Seated leg curl
Calves/Abs