BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-14-2017, 03:46 PM

Default My ERFL experience - Cat 2 transition to Cat 1

A lot of people here know my preference in terms of shedding weight is through gaging step count and I finally found the time and mental fortitude to embark on an ERFL journey. I am no stranger to long duration walking. in fact, for me its the quickest and most effective way to get lean. Combine that with RFL and it should be the holy grain, right?

I wrote everything down on my phone day by day to monitor progress which I know was a bit silly seeing as I had this website to my disposal. Just shows my brains glycogen was the first to deplete!

Starting weight - 173lbs. (Done a few days of low cal training/high steps prior)

Calorie target - 900-1200. I know Lyle recommends slightly lower but I trained twice during the 4 day stint so cut me some slack. I needed the extra vegetables, condiments and other stuff to keep me sane.

Day 1
Weight - 173lbs
Steps - 33000 (Roughly 5 hours of walking mixed gradient)
Calorie intake - 1210
Meals - 7 Packets of beef jerky, a small packet of carrot sticks and two scoops of protein powder
Overall feeling - Great. I was quite depleted going into it and The EC stack I feel is essential when doing this. Absolutely essential.

Day 2
Weight - 171.2lbs
Steps - 31000 (Full body workout, x2 sets main lifts and some accessory work)
Calorie intake - 1100
Meals - 4 packet of beef jerky, 2 scoop protein powder, one tub greek yogurt, packet of cherry tomatoes, couple of dashes of skimmed milk in coffee, jar of pickles < Ridiculous amount of sodium which day 3 proved to show.
Overall feeling - Hunger wasn't really an issue till the final hour or two before bed. Had a whole load of Sugar free drinks to ease the pangs.

Day 3
Weight - 175.2lbs
Steps - 40000 (6 hours)
calorie intake - 1180
Meals - Couple of packets of cooked chicken fillets, cherry tomatoes, whole cucumbers, greek yogurt, protein powder
Overall feeling - Puffy, bloated.. lots and lots of evident water retention which was recognised by a friend. The combination of vigorous activity + low calorie + Lots and lot of sodium 100% caused this and it has been reflected on the weigh in.

Day 4 - final day
Weight - 169.5lbs
Steps - 32000 (Training same as before)
Calorie intake - 1100
Meals - Pretty much all protein shakes and one serving of cottage cheese
Overall feeling - Still slightly puffy and I was shocked by my weight. I didn't expect to lose this much during the stint. Legs and ankles sore.

Day 5 - maintenance day
Weight - 168.7lbs
Steps - 11000
Calorie intake - 2600-2700
Meals - Protein bars, Sushi, Chicken, potatoes and other good stuff.
Overall feeling - Farts galore. Literally I've never farted this much in my life. Sushi never tasted better.

Day 6 - Final weigh in
Weight - 167.9
Steps - 15000
Calorie intake - 2500-2700
Meals - Pretty much same as above
Overall feeling - I look much better than yesterday and this definitely feels like my weight now.

Summing up -

This is by far the most challenging form of fat loss ive encountered but definitely the most rewarding. If what the scale says is true and based on the amount of activity I applied to the 4 days, then 5lbs should be a good estimate of how much I lost. I might spike up in the next few days who knows.

Ephedrine/Caffeine pretty much carried me through this. Honestly, this stuff changes your whole outlook on the diet. '10k more!? really!?' After I popped a few pills I was flying. Not forgetting to mention the thermogenic and appetite suppressing aspect clearly aided me.

Maybe next time I'll be more stricter on the calories consumed and go for a higher step count. Easier said than done but I am more than happy with my results and if you have the time and willpower to do something like this for a quick method of fat loss, do it.
Unread 08-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Nice work! I've been curious about ERFL, I don't have the book so I've just been piecing it together from the posts. Not asking for anyone to give out the protocol.. I'll probably buy the book when the women's book comes out.

One question though is what bodyfat percentage should one be to attempt this?
What is your estimated bf% if you don't mind me asking?

I'm hovering at about 10%
Probably not a good idea to do somthing that extreme at near single digits..

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 08-15-2017, 04:38 AM

I was 16ish ended at 14ish. I've never been 10% so I wouldn't know if doing this at that stage would be worth it.
Unread 08-15-2017, 04:40 AM

I don't think ERFL is ideal at low body fat percentages. In my personal experience, I start throttling at about 12% BF.