BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-01-2008, 11:05 PM

Default 8 week PSMF

Per the RFLH. Started Sunday, I plan to follow it religiously. Strangely, my appetite is practically nil and it requires effort to eat. I'm thinking the fish oil caps have something to do with that. I am getting the 156gm protein, veggies and dairy in, as well as the supplements recommended.

Prior to this, I've been loosely following a Zone diet and have dropped 14lbs since the first of the year. I took a diet break for 1 week after Easter.

I do 2 full body weight workouts per week, and will do some very light cardio if the metabolism seems to slow. If that doesn't help, I'll go the EC route. I'm following the category 3 guidelines.

I will weigh and measure once a week on Sundays and post them here. My beginning measurements:

BW: 225lbs.
Waist: 40
BF: 29% (calipers)

I'm 47yo and my goal is to get to 15% BF on this diet, which means I have to drop about 30lbs of fat.

Last edited by jfan : 04-02-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Unread 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM

I followed the diet to a T the entire week, including supplementation (Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Multivitamins, Fish oil). I use lite salt liberally.

On Day 8: BW: 214 lbs
BF: 27.7%

Lost 11 lbs. total for week 1, 5.9 lbs. BF according to the Accu-measure calipers. I'm thrilled to death!!! I didn't have a tape on hand for the waist measurement, but by the way my pants fit, I definitely lost an inch or so.

I tweaked my knee doing squats, I don't want to do those until it's healed....so I only got one good weight workout in.

I also noted that my stools were all watery after the 2nd day on this diet. I don't know if that's to be expected or not. Anyone else have this happen?

No strong food cravings, appetite is very manageable except when doing the free meals (it would have been easy to go overboard). I hope this keeps up for the duration.
Unread 04-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Nice job so far!

Yeah, ketosis totally kills my appetite, too. They say that you get hungrier as you get leaner, but it hasn't happened to me yet....let's hope it stays that way.
Unread 04-13-2008, 04:26 PM

BW: 206
BF: 26%

Lost 8 lbs. total, 5.75 lbs. BF this past week.

2 week total:
19lb total wt. loss, 11.5lbs. BF.

Appetite's not been a problem, neither has energy levels. I had 2 free meals and worked out twice (full body weights).
Unread 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM

BW: 201
BF%: 24.5%

Past week losses: 5 lbs BW, 4.3lbs BF

Total losses for 3 wks: 24lbs BW, 16lbs BF

People are really noticing the change in my appearance!

It's still pretty easy to follow the diet most of the time...appetite's been very manageable. The few times it's not, a cup of broth, beef jerky or celery with vinegar does the trick. Knowing that a free meal is coming seems to help tremendously.

Very pleased with the progress so far...it looks like my goals are achievable. I'm not quite sure that the Accu-Measure calipers are accurate as far as BF%, but I take consistent measurements with them and they are going down.

I started light cardio (20-30min on the bike x3) and continued the full body weight workouts. My knee is back to 100%.

My energy and strength don't seem to be affected by this diet....I actually have more energy throughout the day. I am having some trouble sleeping, but a half dose of Nyquil does the trick.

Thanks for the props, Dane.
Unread 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Wow, that's a fantastic rate of loss! I'm not surprised your friends are noticing changes.
Unread 04-29-2008, 07:49 AM

On Sunday 4/27:

BW: 203
BF: 24.5%

I had a halacious free meal that turned into a refeed on Saturday and felt bloated as hell on Sunday. 2lbs more than last week, same skinfold measurement. Sunday probably wasn't the best day for the measurements, but I'm a firm believer in weekly weights to prevent scale fixation.

My endurance during the workouts (hitting the wall during the second set of some lifts) is dropping. I'll try the carbs beforehand (although I don't think I'll need it today). I'm ready to add some cardio and EC due to the guilt for going overboard.

I've been sleep deprived most of the week due to my work schedule, but this week will be better. I slept like a baby Saturday night!
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM

Dropping close to 25 lbs in a month? Nice work. Keep it up.
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Sunday 5/4
BW: 200
BF: 23.9%

Carbs before lifting are effective...I felt strong during all sets of the workouts. I mixed a scoop of whey in a small bottle of Gatorade and drank half before the workout and half during. I did have a problem with some lightheadedness during squats and hyperextensions....I think the added intensity and the EC had something to do with that.

Went from size 40 pants to being able to fit into 36. I started the EC and 2 rounds of easy SS cardio for 30min. I'm still not having a problem with appetite or cravings., I still have to remind myself to eat. Constipation is becoming a problem (it was just the opposite the first two weeks)....I'll pick up some Metamucil.

My energy levels are good throughout the day and most of the time I have a decent sense of well-being. It looks like I'll be able to stick this out the entire 8 weeks. Half way home! I'll be under 200 by the next weigh in.

According to those cheap calipers, I've lost 17.5 pounds of bodyfat, 25lbs. total weight so far.

Last edited by jfan : 05-05-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Unread 05-11-2008, 10:09 PM

5/11/08
BW - 196.5
BF% - 22.4
Total Wt. loss 6 wks: 28.5lbs
Total fat loss 6 wks: 21.25lbs

Two more weeks to go, I could reach my BW goal, but I don't think I'll be at 15%BF at 190lbs (crappy calipers!). I'll get measured at the physical therapy center where I work and then decide which direction I'll head after a few weeks of maintenance eating. Either another round of PSMF or a more moderate plan to get to sub 15%.

In 6 weeks, I've really transformed my body. Just about everyone I run into comments on the weight loss. (I did lose 14lbs in the 3 mos prior to starting the RFL and gained 5 back). I still have lots of energy and the appetite is very manageable. Even with the free meals I eat much less than I used to. It's time to reread the RFLH....especially the last part about breaking the diet.

I woke up on Thursday with an extremely stiff and sore back. It hasn't recovered yet, so I'll miss a workout or two. That sucks! I'm at the age where you think twice about working through strange pain. Hopefully it's just a short term thing.