BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-19-2017, 06:40 AM

Default Muscle and Strength Pyramid Intermediate Program into a 4 day split?

Has anyone used Helms' program? I was thinking of starting it, but I'd prefer to be lifting in the gym four days per week.

Here's my current plan if it was 5 days...

Day 1

Squat, Rack Pull (there's no great place for me to do these at the gym, I could try to do it on the squat rack, but the set up is too high), single leg squat, leg ext., standing calf

Day 2

Hammer Incline, seated cable row, hammer shoulder press, pull ups, triceps isolation (haven't picked the exercise yet), biceps curl

Day 3

Deadlift variant (stuck on this one, maybe RDLs, regular deadlifts are out for me due to injury), leg press, single leg squat, leg ext., seated calf

Day 4

Hammer shoulder press, hammer incline, dips, triceps isolation, flyes

Day 5

Seated cable row, pull up, back extension, biceps curl, face pull

I'm thinking I could move back extensions to one of the lower days. And then put seated cable rows/pull ups/biceps curl on Day 4. And then face pulls to Day 2.
Unread 12-19-2017, 07:05 AM

Yeah my old prep coach had me on the ulxpplx split. Good program. As for your questions just try one option or another in the gym and you'll gave your answer. Rdl is better choice imo.

Last edited by w1cked : 12-19-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Unread 12-19-2017, 08:13 AM

Why don't you run GBR in DUP fashion? Same thing, template already available.
Unread 12-19-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Yeah my old prep coach had me on the ulxpplx split. Good program. As for your questions just try one option or another in the gym and you'll gave your answer. Rdl is better choice imo.
What's ulxpplx?

The issue is the program calls for hip hinge and deadlift variants, only so many options. My gym kind of sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Why don't you run GBR in DUP fashion? Same thing, template already available.
What's DUP? I like how the Muscle and Strength pyramid is set up in terms of sets/reps/RPE with deloads programmed in. I suppose I could adapt it to the GBR, but it's just easier to give this a whirl as is.

My current set up is much lower volume, but higher intensity. I'm currently cutting, so I know cardinal rule is to keep intensity high and volume low. But I'm routinely going to failure on multiple exercises as I continue to cut.

I've tried deloading for a couple weeks and then a diet break, but that didn't seem to help.

Basically I just want to bite the bullet and change parts of my program before I push it too far and get injured.
Unread 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
What's DUP? I like how the Muscle and Strength pyramid is set up in terms of sets/reps/RPE with deloads programmed in. I suppose I could adapt it to the GBR, but it's just easier to give this a whirl as is.

My current set up is much lower volume, but higher intensity. I'm currently cutting, so I know cardinal rule is to keep intensity high and volume low. But I'm routinely going to failure on multiple exercises as I continue to cut.

I've tried deloading for a couple weeks and then a diet break, but that didn't seem to help.

Basically I just want to bite the bullet and change parts of my program before I push it too far and get injured.
DUP=Dual Undulated Periodisation. In this context it means that you train one day heavy one day moderate. Eric uses the same strategy.

Since you want to compress it into 4 days, you can use upper/lower twice a week: Monday/Tuesday heavy, Thursday/Friday moderate. GBR can be used to have some inspiration when it comes to exercise selection. It will probably be smarter to leave out a few of Eric's exercises than to burn out on the last 2 days, because you want to hit proper volume.
Unread 12-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
DUP=Dual Undulated Periodisation. In this context it means that you train one day heavy one day moderate. Eric uses the same strategy.
*Daily Undulating Periodisation.

I use it, first I was using it with GBR, but now with full body training. Some sort of periodisation (DUP, WUP) is a must when you reach late intermediate phase.
Unread 12-19-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
What's ulxpplx?

The issue is the program calls for hip hinge and deadlift variants, only so many options. My gym kind of sucks.
Upper/lower/off/push/pull/legs/off

I don't know what exactly you have at your gym, but at least at mine for rack pulls I stand on one of those stackable box platform things to get the appropriate height. Otherwise I was pulling like 2 inches in the squat rack. I've also stood on plates to make it work. Hopefully you have somewhere decent for RDLs and whatever else you need.
Unread 12-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
Upper/lower/off/push/pull/legs/off

I don't know what exactly you have at your gym, but at least at mine for rack pulls I stand on one of those stackable box platform things to get the appropriate height. Otherwise I was pulling like 2 inches in the squat rack. I've also stood on plates to make it work. Hopefully you have somewhere decent for RDLs and whatever else you need.
Ya its his intermediate bb setup. You can do back raise for hip hinge holding weight behind head. A strict good morning kinda.
Unread 12-19-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Since you want to compress it into 4 days, you can use upper/lower twice a week: Monday/Tuesday heavy, Thursday/Friday moderate. GBR can be used to have some inspiration when it comes to exercise selection. It will probably be smarter to leave out a few of Eric's exercises than to burn out on the last 2 days, because you want to hit proper volume.
Ah, yeah, duh.

I actually currently use it with my routine. My current routine is modified over the years based on the GBR, and from other recommendations in Lyle's articles if I recall correctly. Also modified based on injuries over the years.

But I use a push/pull/lower split across a 4 day/week program. Each week I do a second workout for one of the three and rotate it.

Push Day 1

Dips (heavy, reverse pyramid)

Hammer Incline (lighter, straight sets, less volume)

Decline Press Close-grip (heavy)

Abs

Pull Day 1

Chins (heavy, reverse pyramid)

Seated row (lighter, straight sets, less volume)

Back extensions (just 2 sets x 20)

Lower

Single leg leg press (high reps, this was initially due to an injury)

Leg curl (higher reps, reverse pyramid)

Standing calf (couple high rep sets)

Single leg squat

Push Day 2

Same exercises, but hammer incline is heavy, dips/close-grip decline are lighter

Pull Day 2

Same exercises except chins are lighter, and seated rows are heavier

And then I rotate like this each week...

Week 1

Push 1, Push 1, Lower, Push 2

Week 2

Pull 2, Lower, Push 1, Pull 1

I've felt over the years this routine has left some gaps, especially since I dropped heavy rack pulls and regular leg press/squats. So, looking to change it up. Traditionally higher volume routines don't work well with me, but I also think I keep the intensity too high.
Unread 12-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Has anyone used Helms' program? I was thinking of starting it, but I'd prefer to be lifting in the gym four days per week.

Here's my current plan if it was 5 days...

Day 1

Squat, Rack Pull (there's no great place for me to do these at the gym, I could try to do it on the squat rack, but the set up is too high), single leg squat, leg ext., standing calf

Day 2

Hammer Incline, seated cable row, hammer shoulder press, pull ups, triceps isolation (haven't picked the exercise yet), biceps curl

Day 3

Deadlift variant (stuck on this one, maybe RDLs, regular deadlifts are out for me due to injury), leg press, single leg squat, leg ext., seated calf

Day 4

Hammer shoulder press, hammer incline, dips, triceps isolation, flyes

Day 5

Seated cable row, pull up, back extension, biceps curl, face pull

I'm thinking I could move back extensions to one of the lower days. And then put seated cable rows/pull ups/biceps curl on Day 4. And then face pulls to Day 2.
I think the above could work. Doing rack pulls on an elevated platform might work, and then RDL's on the other day.

Quote:
The part about not burning out is also a good idea. The other thing I thought of is just doing the beginner's routine for bodybuilding from the book. Less volume, and since I'm not trying to add mass right now, I'm not sure it really matters.