BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-04-2017, 08:52 AM
JDPbrah's Avatar
JDPbrah JDPbrah is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 120
Question Using consistently high levels of protein intake for bulking and cutting

Argh! I'm sure this has been answered somewhere but I am not finding it or just not understanding the physiology of protein enough to decipher the readings etc.
If someone has a reference in the protein book or elsewhere on the forum I'll check it out if you would share.

So Ive been doing well on using 1.5g/per lb of protein during bulking, it's likely subjective but I just feel like recovery and strength levels are better at or around this level of intake. However I'm concerned that oxidative rate of protein has increased and when I go back to dieting that 1.5g/lb may not be wholly adequate for sparing lbm as it had in the past.
Is it possible that maintaining a consistent 1.5g/lb while bulking and then going into ud2 fat loss where the upper limits of protein intake are no longer sparing lbs with quite the same efficiency? Maybe it does and there will be a bit of lbs loss in the beginning, but in all practical consideration it balances out pretty quickly and it become a largely irrelevant concern in the long run.
Thoughts?
__________________
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=33258

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 09-05-2017, 09:37 AM
ssg10587 ssg10587 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 293
Default

Personally think you're too high for bulking. Personally would go 1g/lb. May want to consider subbing in some more carbs for protein and vice versa and seeing which works best.

Not understanding your question completely. Are you asking if a consistent protein intake of 1.5/lb as you transition helps more than ramping up while cutting? It may help a little, but think in the long run, it isn't doing much.

Also what are you lifts like? Are you advanced or? Assuming as you get to an advanced level, higher protein intake becomes more important.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:27 AM
LightCrow LightCrow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPbrah View Post
So Ive been doing well on using 1.5g/per lb of protein during bulking, it's likely subjective but I just feel like recovery and strength levels are better at or around this level of intake. However I'm concerned that oxidative rate of protein has increased and when I go back to dieting that 1.5g/lb may not be wholly adequate for sparing lbm as it had in the past.
I hope the monkey man chimes in, but I think your worries are unfounded. This was never raised by Lyle as any concern in the protein book and he even set an upper limit recommendation for natural bulking of protein at 1.4g based on the Tipton paper.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM
LightCrow LightCrow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Personally think you're too high for bulking. Personally would go 1g/lb. May want to consider subbing in some more carbs for protein and vice versa and seeing which works best.
There are good reasons someone bulking may want to keep protein higher than the usual 1g per pound. I do it mainly for appetite control since I have a low maintenance from a desk job and am getting up there in age. Also from food choices I enjoy meat and eggs more than more carbs. I would struggle to get down to 1g per pound a day since I routinely hit 1.5-2g per day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM
ssg10587 ssg10587 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
There are good reasons someone bulking may want to keep protein higher than the usual 1g per pound. I do it mainly for appetite control since I have a low maintenance from a desk job and am getting up there in age. Also from food choices I enjoy meat and eggs more than more carbs. I would struggle to get down to 1g per pound a day since I routinely hit 1.5-2g per day.
Makes sense! From Lyle, sounds like some grow better on carbs and some better on higher protein so whatever works best. Why I mention try both. Just think sometimes when bulking, people can be a bit carbphobic.

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mu...gains-qa.html/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 09-05-2017, 11:54 AM
LightCrow LightCrow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Makes sense! From Lyle, sounds like some grow better on carbs and some better on higher protein so whatever works best. Why I mention try both. Just think sometimes when bulking, people can be a bit carbphobic.

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mu...gains-qa.html/
In my experience it seems to be the opposite lately with people wanting to see how low they can go in protein while bulking. Ever since Menno's retarded .82g article came out I see that number everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 09-05-2017, 12:09 PM
w1cked w1cked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
In my experience it seems to be the opposite lately with people wanting to see how low they can go in protein while bulking. Ever since Menno's retarded .82g article came out I see that number everywhere.
Lmao now its 120 to 160g (with 5 g leucine)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM
JDPbrah's Avatar
JDPbrah JDPbrah is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 120
Default Amplifying info

I'm 33, 72in, 200lbs at 10%, been lifting correctly on and off for 10 years. Gains have definitely slowed but still making consistent progress.
I'm somewhat carbphobic, at least in the sense of sustained intake, I have no problems pushing upper limits during carb loads, or on workout days but the thought of 400-500+ grams consistently freaks me out.
I enjoy higher protein intake.. I have a desk job and aside from busting my butt in the gym I'm a loaf with little movement aside from walking to and from the car.
I'm just concerned that going to dieting my body will be dependent on this elevated level of protein and will "react" by not sparing as much lbm when lowering calories. Seems like opinions are varied.. I doubt I'll fizzle out/blow up or stop making gains by lowering protein a bit and increasing carbs. Just trial and error it, just wanted to see if I'd be doing that based on unfounded concerns.
__________________
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=33258

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.