BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Default Specific diet and workout critique

Hey all! I've been a member of these forums for a short time but I'm a big fan of Lyle's work. Not only is he a funny sarcastic bastard, he sometimes knows what he's talking about.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could get some serious critiquing from the awesome, experienced gym rats on here. What follows is my diet and workout regime and I'm hoping I can get some wisdom applied to see if what I'm doing is on track.

Main Goal: gain as much muscle as I can while keeping body fat in check (preferably under 15% but I can go up to whatever is necessary).

I realize it's a little tedious to go through this whole thing just to tell me "yep" or "nope" so I understand if no one is willing to do it. We all got things to do!

I'm 5'7", 135 with about 12-14% body fat. Meaning, I'm ~120LBM. I've typically been a "hard-gainer"... but thats usually cause I have high NEAT. About 5yrs of real experience in the weight room and kitchen.

Diet

Clean bulk for 4 weeks (every once in a while I have cheat meal but I still count it)

Calories: 3,000
Protein: 130g (20%)
Carbs: 450g (60%)
Fat: 67g (20%)

Cut for 1 week

Bromo: 2.5g
Calories: 1,500
Protein: 150 (40%)
Carbs: 169 (45)
Fat: 25g (15%)

Workout while bulking

I workout on a 3 day cycle:

Monday/Thursday: Chest/shoulders; ~8-12 reps, 5-6 sets
Tuesday/Friday: Back/biceps; 8-12reps, 5-6 sets
Wednesday/Saturday: Legs/core; legs: 8-12reps, 3-4sets, core: ~15reps, 4-5sets

Every 1-2 weeks I'll do a 1RM on appropriate workouts to make sure I'm gaining strength (squats, smith BP, military press, etc.). I also keep meticulous notes on all my workouts. I usually do about 30min of cardio with a bunch of steps throughout the day.

If I'm cutting I just increase the reps to 12-15 or so and try to increase cardio, I'll also try to increase the sets.

Again, I appreciate any and all opinions. I realize it's tedious to read this and provide feedback. If more info is needed I'll happily add it. Thanks again all!
Unread 06-15-2017, 02:49 AM

Few questions/remarks:
- Where's the deload?
- What's your training status?
- Why test strength every 2 weeks? Your working sets will suffer. Measure your gains in the rep-range you train. For example your 8RM max.
- Why do you train 6x a week? You can compress it using an upper/lower layout (depending on your status) and allow for more recovery.
- When cutting, please reduce frequency, reduce the number of sets and don't increase the number of reps. Intensity is key. Not volume.
- If you don't have any cardio goals, please drop cardio when bulking.
Unread 06-15-2017, 04:06 AM

Way too much volume. You're a skinny guy and a rank novice, however long you've been training. You're still a rank novice.

You should keep training simple and focus on getting those initial gains in the major muscle groups. An entire workout dedicated to just shoulders and chest, for example, is a waste of gym time for you. You only need to be doing a shoulder press a couple times a week and the same with the chest press. This is just one among perhaps fifteen examples of where your workout is faltering
Unread 06-15-2017, 05:39 AM

Why you doing more reps and sets when you cut, that's back to front

Agree with BPP on the volume probably gonna hinder your recovery

Why you doing cardio?

What's the weekly rate of weight gain on the 3000 cals?

my impression is that you could get the same or better results doing less work and producing less cortisol
Unread 06-15-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Way too much volume. You're a skinny guy and a rank novice, however long you've been training. You're still a rank novice.

You should keep training simple and focus on getting those initial gains in the major muscle groups. An entire workout dedicated to just shoulders and chest, for example, is a waste of gym time for you. You only need to be doing a shoulder press a couple times a week and the same with the chest press. This is just one among perhaps fifteen examples of where your workout is faltering
Too kind. That whole setup is utter trash. Beter of picking a popular generic routine
Unread 06-15-2017, 08:20 AM

Well, obviously it's a good thing I posted on here. Thanks for all the feedback. Obviously there's a lot of room for improvement so instead of just replying to each post, I'm getting the feeling I should go back to doing a generic bulking routine? In that case, anyone have any suggestions?

Specifically, I seem to have a hard time understanding what the difference between volume and intensity is.

Thanks again all, I really appreciate it.
Unread 06-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisGM View Post
Well, obviously it's a good thing I posted on here. Thanks for all the feedback. Obviously there's a lot of room for improvement so instead of just replying to each post, I'm getting the feeling I should go back to doing a generic bulking routine? In that case, anyone have any suggestions?

Specifically, I seem to have a hard time understanding what the difference between volume and intensity is.

Thanks again all, I really appreciate it.
You have no business doing "THE generic bulking routine" (you're too novice), however, you could do A generic bulking routine. Go do 5x5 or something like that. It's sure going to be a good deal more useful than what you're doing now
Unread 06-15-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
You have no business doing "THE generic bulking routine" (you're too novice), however, you could do A generic bulking routine. Go do 5x5 or something like that. It's sure going to be a good deal more useful than what you're doing now
Ok, got it. I'm novice. But I'm looking for specific advice on how to improve my workouts. "5x5" isn't really specific.
Unread 06-15-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Ok, got it. I'm novice. But I'm looking for specific advice on how to improve my workouts. "5x5" isn't really specific.
Okay then.

Specifically: take a barbell and place it on the floor. Load it up to desired amount. Grab the bar with overhand grip. Stand. Lower the bar back onto the floor. Repeat that an additional 4 times. Now have a rest. Then repeat those steps an additional 4 times. That's one complete exercise. Do that a couple times a week and you're well on the way to 5x5 progress.
Unread 06-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
What are your best current lifts? Maybe I can point you towards a specific 5x5 or similar program