BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Default confusing part in the book lyle mcdonald project

its says:
Quote:
It might very well be that increasing carbs will increase muscular anabolism to some proportion (meaning you'll gain muscle at a faster rate) but you also increase fat storage.

Alternately, it might be that increasing carbs results in no more muscle gain. The diets
are equally anabolic (in muscle) but the higher carb approach leads to greater fat gain

This is confusing.
First lyle saying: increasing carbs will increase muscular anabolism meaning you'll gain muscle at a faster rate.
Than he says: Alternately, it might be that increasing carbs results in no more muscle gain but leads to greater fat gain.

So what is it?
That (in general) high carb diets are not resulting in more muscle gain but always leads to greater fat gain?
So a lower carb diet (not that low like ketogenic) is better choice in general because it limits fat gain and dont reduce muscle gain?
Unread 01-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Administrator

I don't think you know what alternately means.
Unread 01-26-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
I don't think you know what alternately means.
I'll Be Honest, my English is not good.
But alternately.. in other words.. rather than, alternative...
i still don't understand.

So can you explain in other words?
Unread 01-26-2019, 10:22 PM

it means he's not sure so he's saying it could be A or it could be B...

sounds like the evidence is inconclusive in this study/hypothetical (i dont have this book so im not sure what its in reference to)

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
it means he's not sure so he's saying it could be A or it could be B...

sounds like the evidence is inconclusive in this study/hypothetical (i dont have this book so im not sure what its in reference to)
Ok, thanks for you answer,

What I have learn is that it is very difficult for carbs to be converted into fat, and this is the reason Bodybuilders always bulk with low fat diets.

But lyle says: increasing carbs will increase fat storage.
So… you understand the confusing? ;-)

so wat diet approach build the most fat gains in a bulk?
high carb - low fat
Low carb - high fat (i dont mean ketogenic low)
And why...

(there some study's that mouse on high fat diets increase the most body fat and high carb don't, i don't know this works the same for humans?)

Last edited by monkey666 : 01-27-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Unread 01-28-2019, 02:43 PM

In general If you're eating a surplus of calories then you can expect to store fat...

there is an exception to this... complex carbohydrates will not convert to fat so if your carbohydrate stores are not full you can techincally 'overeat' and not necessarily store fat.... complex carbohydrates will convert to glycogen which is essentially fuel for your body if you perform demanding exercise in the future (running, weightlifting, any sport requiring some exertion)...

Now excess protein and carbohydrates won't really store as fat... but if you're eating a ton of protien / carbs then there is virtually no way you arent consuming some tag a long fats as well... even the leanest cuts of meat , carb rich sources, etc usually contain some fat or some fatty flavoring along with it...

those tag along fats will store as fat instead of being consumed as energy if you're eating in surplus of calorie expenditure...

Bottom line... I dont keep my carbohydrate stores full... so i can occasionally overeat and limit fat storage... and when i do overeat massively, i try to make sure i'm not completely gorging on sugar (converts to fat) or fat (stores as fat) .

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 01-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
In general If you're eating a surplus of calories then you can expect to store fat...

there is an exception to this... complex carbohydrates will not convert to fat so if your carbohydrate stores are not full you can techincally 'overeat' and not necessarily store fat.... complex carbohydrates will convert to glycogen which is essentially fuel for your body if you perform demanding exercise in the future (running, weightlifting, any sport requiring some exertion)...

Now excess protein and carbohydrates won't really store as fat... but if you're eating a ton of protien / carbs then there is virtually no way you arent consuming some tag a long fats as well... even the leanest cuts of meat , carb rich sources, etc usually contain some fat or some fatty flavoring along with it...

those tag along fats will store as fat instead of being consumed as energy if you're eating in surplus of calorie expenditure...

Bottom line... I dont keep my carbohydrate stores full... so i can occasionally overeat and limit fat storage... and when i do overeat massively, i try to make sure i'm not completely gorging on sugar (converts to fat) or fat (stores as fat) .
thanks, this clarify a lot.
Unread 01-29-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey666 View Post
thanks, this clarify a lot.

There are some really good articles on Lyle's website if you go to the "articles" section..

id recommend reading the baseline diet for sure...

For the most part if you just make sure you're getting at least 1g protein per LB of bodyweight and you're eating enough carbs to recover from your workouts and give you energy for your next one...you'll be fine...

If you need a general 'rule of thumb' guideline you really cant go too wrong with taking your bodyweight in pounds... (example 200 pounds) then multiplying by 15 (200 x 15 = 3,000).... then make ~50% of your calories carbs (1,500), ~30% protein (900 calories) and ~20% fat (600 calories)

1,500 kCal carbs = 375g Carbohydrates

900 kCal protein = 225g Protein

600 kCal fat = 66g of fat

Then you need to eat another 300-500 kCal beyond that... which i wouldnt worry too much about what source it comes from as long as it's not pure sugar/fructose or like literally a glob of saturated fat. Find snacks or food sources you enjoy that contain a little bit of everything... i mean if you're willing to eat clean as crap for lunch then its not that big of a deal if you eat pizza for dinner... but in general its easier to hit your macro targets consistently if you find more well rounded foods for each meal / snack.

One thing i would recommend... try to stick to the good fats... if you load up on saturated fats they tend to be more difficult to shed when you diet down later... the mono and poly saturated fats will be easier to use as fuel and less likely to later be classified as "stubborn body fat".. and if your stored body fat is easier to convert to fuel it stands to reason that you'll lose less muscle during your diet...

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 01-29-2019 at 02:03 AM. Reason: a