BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

Default Calculating maintenance calories

Can you explain to me finally how to precisely calculate maintenance calories?
The ultimate calories calculating guide!

I find it terribly confusing with the Harris-Benedict formula and the other formulas. Sometime between two formulas there hundreds of calories difference.

The activity factor is even more confusing as it is never clear where you stands between sedentary, moderate active, very active. What if you do a semi-physical job (like playing an instrument) small activities during the day and alternative 30 minutes of cardio and 50 minutes of moderate to intense weight lifting each other day? It's not clear.

What I know is that with some tables I get maintenance calories of 1900 calories and with others I get maintenance calories of 2700 and with certain calculators I get 2400 and with other calculator I get 2900. So I'm really confused.

Thanks for the help
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:53 PM
3-board ultra supreme member

they are just generalizations to be used for a starting point ... you'll have to spend a bit of time (a week for starters) documenting everything you eat and do and figuring out what your basal rate is ... generally if you are a fatter person like me, expect basal rate to be lower ... and vice versa

a bodybugg along with meticulous tracking is a very good start
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Administrator

OMG, not a 200 calorie difference beween a bunch of different ESTIMATES

dude, you're OCD makes me look sane

all any equation will give you is a starting point and you will always have to adjust calories based on real world changes

15 cal/lb is a good starting point assuming relatively reasonable amounts of training and activity

the end
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
15 cal/lb is a good starting point assuming relatively reasonable amounts of training and activity

the end
Is moderate weight training for 50 minutes a day three times a week and cardio interval training for 20 minutes + 15 minutes of 3 sets of abs exercises three times a week a reasonable amount of training and activity?
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

that's about right
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
OMG, not a 200 calorie difference beween a bunch of different ESTIMATES

dude, you're OCD makes me look sane

all any equation will give you is a starting point and you will always have to adjust calories based on real world changes

the end
but would that be 15cal/lb to maintane your present weight

or would you work it out at the weight you want to be ie if your 15st but want to be 12st do you work your maintanance level at 15cal/lb per 12st,because if you want to stay at 12st then you are going to have to eat at that calorei level,so why not start there,if that makes sense.
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nigeepoo

It's a starting point. A guesstimate. You need to eat, monitor your weight/body comp and adjust your intake accordingly.

Blog
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Best thing I ever did was track my food religiously, including weighing & measuring for five weeks last year while in maintenance. I discovered exactly what my maintenance calories are at this weight (and also figured even that had at least a +/- 5% margin of error).

It makes all this calorie planning easier now that I'm trying to lose weight again. Well the planning is easier. Sticking to it still sucks. I'm a wimp when it comes to being hungry.
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
but would that be 15cal/lb to maintane your present weight
that's what maintenance means

Quote:
or would you work it out at the weight you want to be ie if your 15st but want to be 12st do you work your maintanance level at 15cal/lb per 12st,because if you want to stay at 12st then you are going to have to eat at that calorei level,so why not start there,if that makes sense.
I'm going to copy a post from the other forum that I just made about this topic.
Unread 04-11-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
that's what maintenance means

I'm going to copy a post from the other forum that I just made about this topic.
cheers lyle.