BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-09-2018, 06:52 AM

Default How easy is it to actually lose muscle?

So its been quite a hectic 6 months for me.. a lot of stress due to work, slight tear in my bicep tendon amongst other things.. i've gone some weeks without lifting at all.. to weeks where im training x1.. and weeks where im training x2.. like, i'd say on average over the course of 6 months i've probably been training x1 a week (full body). My nutrition could be better but i'm trying my best to hit 120-180 protein a day.

Now i see a lot of anxiety with people skipping workouts and stopping lifting all together.. the fear of losing muscle and looking different etc... but i have to say, looking at myself now compared to 6 months.. i actually look better.. maybe its the unintentional calorie deficit making me slightly leaner i don't know.. but i don't seemed to have lost significant amount of muscle if any? my strength has fluctuated due to injuries etc, but ended up coming back to where it was
Unread 09-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Maintenance is a wonderful thing. Hypertrophy is largely structural in nature and thus tends to be pretty enduring. As you see, as long as the protein level is adequate and there is (somewhat) regular training, hypertrophy maintains quite well. And I agree about the anxiety of people skipping workouts and such-- it can be quite ridiculous.
Unread 09-09-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Maintenance is a wonderful thing. Hypertrophy is largely structural in nature and thus tends to be pretty enduring. As you see, as long as the protein level is adequate and there is (somewhat) regular training, hypertrophy maintains quite well. And I agree about the anxiety of people skipping workouts and such-- it can be quite ridiculous.
I agree. Some of the hypertrophy stimulus needs to be there for the muscles not to atrophy at maintenance even. The minimalist trainees who do 2 to 4 rpt sets a week seem 5o hold on to muscles just fine.
Unread 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
I agree. Some of the hypertrophy stimulus needs to be there for the muscles not to atrophy at maintenance even. The minimalist trainees who do 2 to 4 rpt sets a week seem 5o hold on to muscles just fine.
I meant maintenance training (which is basically what is described in the OP, even if done informally), so that is in line with what you wrote above.
Unread 09-09-2018, 03:05 PM

If it takes months of consistent strength training and nutrition to gain muscle, it's going to take months of no training and nutrition to lose muscle.

Simply working out once a week and eating at maintenance is enough to retain muscle.