BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Unread 01-18-2019, 04:00 PM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLifting145 View Post
Lyle, what do you think of his advanced bodybuilding routine in his book? It hits EVERYTHING with 16-20 sets a week, not just a few specialized body parts. It's a 6 day Upper/Lower with a 3x frequency per muscle. Too much? Crazy? What do you think of the routine?
It's not how I'd approach advanced training, that's for sure. You just can't bring up everything at that level IMO and I think rotating specialization works way better.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 01-19-2019, 09:00 AM
loc loc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
It's not how I'd approach advanced training, that's for sure. You just can't bring up everything at that level IMO and I think rotating specialization works way better.
I've thought of trying the Helms advanced routine in the past just to give it a shot, but I see no way to fit 6x/week in the gym and all of those sets into my schedule in the near future. That's one downside I see to it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 01-19-2019, 10:48 AM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
I've thought of trying the Helms advanced routine in the past just to give it a shot, but I see no way to fit 6x/week in the gym and all of those sets into my schedule in the near future. That's one downside I see to it.
"Good advice not followed is bad advice" - Dan Duchaine

A theoretical 6 day/week program will be outstripped by a real world 4 day/week program and you can do my specialization program in 3 days/week.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 01-19-2019, 12:10 PM
w1cked w1cked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,016
Default

To be fair to eric he does say 1st chapter what you can do given your circumstances is far more crucial than what's ideal or optimal or whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 01-19-2019, 03:32 PM
loc loc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
"Good advice not followed is bad advice" - Dan Duchaine

A theoretical 6 day/week program will be outstripped by a real world 4 day/week program and you can do my specialization program in 3 days/week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
To be fair to eric he does say 1st chapter what you can do given your circumstances is far more crucial than what's ideal or optimal or whatever.
Yes to both
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 01-19-2019, 03:35 PM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
Yes to both
Admittedly, the 'advanced' bodybuilder is probably dedicating most of their life to training. I still don't think most will do well throwing all that volume and intensity into every bodypart at once. You just have limited energy to do it all. Specialization FTW
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 01-19-2019, 07:20 PM
loc loc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Admittedly, the 'advanced' bodybuilder is probably dedicating most of their life to training. I still don't think most will do well throwing all that volume and intensity into every bodypart at once. You just have limited energy to do it all. Specialization FTW
That's true. The juice probably isn't worth the squeeze at that point, and it probably won't work out as well in real life as on paper. I'm going to have to get on the specialization track sometime.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 01-19-2019, 08:00 PM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
That's true. The juice probably isn't worth the squeeze at that point, and it probably won't work out as well in real life as on paper. I'm going to have to get on the specialization track sometime.
Exactly. By the time you're training at htat level, it's 20 hours/week to gain a couple of pound per year.

Meh. I'd rather play Arkham Knight.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 01-20-2019, 12:46 AM
zLeeKo's Avatar
zLeeKo zLeeKo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Exactly. By the time you're training at htat level, it's 20 hours/week to gain a couple of pound per year.

Meh. I'd rather play Arkham Knight.
+100

A month ago, I was really finally ready, after all these years of grinding, for "advanced advanced" phase, but as much as I'm obsessed with fitness, it just seemed silly to invest so much time and energy for that LITTLE return of interest. I'm small framed, so I could get like what, 1 more pound, if that, until I'm finally done. Pfft

So I decided to do something smarter and more productive, like playing God of War 4 (really, the game disappointed me, it's pretty dull and unrewarding, but that's another story)
__________________
"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 01-20-2019, 08:41 AM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
+100

A month ago, I was really finally ready, after all these years of grinding, for "advanced advanced" phase, but as much as I'm obsessed with fitness, it just seemed silly to invest so much time and energy for that LITTLE return of interest. I'm small framed, so I could get like what, 1 more pound, if that, until I'm finally done. Pfft

So I decided to do something smarter and more productive, like playing God of War 4 (really, the game disappointed me, it's pretty dull and unrewarding, but that's another story)
I just finished the new God of War. Game of the year my butt. Completely overrated. It was tedious dad lectures, one big boss battle with the SAME GUY twice, never got to kill anybody real, the final 'ending' is a 20 minute exposition scene to seeing Thor and the game ends.

I went through the last fetch quest for the super armor thinking I needed to buff up for some major big bad. But the only truly hard battle in this game was the fight against boredom to finish it. I got to the end solely out of spite.

Endless fetch questing, even the fight system wasn't as good. I am not memorizing a billion button presses for two weapons, give me 4 weapons with the same button presses. Battles were either trivially easy or completely impossible.

If I wanted to learn about Norse Mythology, I'd read a book. If I awnted to watch a cutscene movie, I'd watch a movie. Somehow hte old series managed to push thes tory along with short tight cutscenes and enough stories. And had real battles. Kill Aries, Athena, Zeus, etc.

Who the hell is Baldur? Why don't I even SEE Odin? Or get to put an axe in his head.

And oh, the big 'twist' that the kid is Loki? Ok great. Zero impact on the game. H never showed an onuce of trickster behavior and it was a pointless reveal with no impact on anything.

Kid is Loki
Game ends.

Bleh.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.