BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-04-2016, 10:20 AM

Default Anyone took the Fitnessgenes test?

Has anyone here taken this sort of test and get your genes analyzed?

Supposedly they can look at your saliva sample and tell you what kind of muscle fibers you have, your insulin sensitivity and all sort of stuff for you to tailor your training and nutrition. Not having much medical knowledge I don't know this is BS or not.

Last edited by highwire : 12-04-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Unread 12-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Administrator

There is limited research in this regard in terms of genes correlated with certain things but I don't think it's quite there yet. It will be though. Give it a few years.
Unread 12-04-2016, 06:43 PM

I did take the fitnessgenes test (previously called MuscleGenes). I found it insightful to a couple of things and other information is very airy-fairy/generic.

One thing I found interesting is that it labelled me as a "slow" metaboliser of caffeine, which can apparently sit in my system for up to 11 hours. So, I stopped having caffeine past midday and voila - no more sleep issues!

It says that my "gene" type also benefits more from what they call "super-speed" lifting (fast reps rather than slow eccentrics), but I cannot comment on the accuracy of this as I haven't seen any noticeable differences in my training.

What is cool though, is that since I purchased the test two years ago, they have come out with a whole bunch of new results, and they don't require you to resubmit a test - just use your code on file and update your profile accordingly.
Unread 12-05-2016, 02:37 PM

I find this stuff very interesting and hopefully as the science and technology progresses it'll become a lot more beneficial. (Even though I'll probably be too old by then.)

I watched a lot of Tom Purvis videos recently where he talks about how important it is to tailor exercise to an individual's structure (e.g., squat isn't effective for some people, etc.).
Unread 12-07-2016, 02:24 AM

I would be interested in learning about the adrenaline, testosterone, hypertrophy and insulin gene.

I looked at fitnessgenes but they don't talk a lot about how they store or use information from the DNA analysis. Places like ancestry.com has a whole section on the storage and usage of your DNA sample & results.
Unread 12-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Tools like Promethease are cheap and can read through your raw DNA data to tell you all the information any of those other sites can. You'll have to get your DNA data by getting testing through a different service, but it's still pretty useful. It even links to the studies for each result it shows you, so you can check to see whether it is a legitimate result or something where the science is a bit shaky.

However... the problem with most genetic testing is that they don't actually read your full genome, just a select fraction of it. Same thing with sites like 23andme, ancestry.com, etc. You can get tests that will map out the whole thing, but they cost a lot more. Prices are coming down though, I've seen some services offering a full map for around $400.

By the 2020s, I'm sure we'll have a lot more options that will be more comprehensive than the current stuff. But for now, some of the information you receive has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Unread 02-13-2017, 09:12 AM

I gave this service a try and the results were somewhat interesting but at the same time aligned pretty accurately with my own assessment based on my life experience.

E.g., it said that I store bodyfat easily but am not prone to overeating. Before taking on exercise I was very thin but not skinny-ripped so this is exactly what I would expect (i.e., being thin was related to me not eating unless hungry, as opposed to fast metabolism or whatever).

Oftentimes there were separate genes that had contradictory results. E.g., one would indicate that I have a predisposition towards power / speed sports, and another would say that I would suck at that. Or one says I'm biased towards low blood pressure; another towards high blood pressure. I guess maybe these things either balance themselves out or it just depends on which genes are expressed to what degree.

The only real surprising piece of info is that it said that I had a genetic tendency towards "very high" testosterone, which I laughed at since I've always been barely a half-notch away from a full-fledged woman. I'll have to get a blood test to see if that's actually the case.

The training and nutrition strategies that were tailored for my genetic profile seemed very standard. Nothing out of the ordinary. Overall, I don't think the results give me much insight into how to train differently or anything like that. It would probably be more interesting for people that are on the extremes of the bell curve.