BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Default Fiber and nutrient absorption

Ok, so this came up last week sometime and I knew I had numbers for it and I came across this in the folder of the never to be finished mondo opus book. I'm going to assume that I had some decent source (probably the Stipanuk book) for the numbers. Anyhow, there you go. Ultimately, it's a fairly small effect.

I should mention that very high fiber intakes can increase the amount of nutrients being lost to excretion. For example, higher fiber intakes may reduce fat absorption by about 3 percent, protein by maybe 5%. Itís been estimated that increasing fiber intake from 18 to 36 g/day would increase caloric losses by about 100 cal/day or so. Essentially, the fiber prevents the enzymes from being able to reach the nutrients, and they simply pass through unabsorbed. This is another reason that high-fiber intakes can be useful while dieting: decreased caloric absorption. Of course, no athlete or bodybuilder wants decreased protein absorption so its sort of a mixed blessing.
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I should mention that very high fiber intakes can increase the amount of nutrients being lost to excretion. For example, higher fiber intakes may reduce fat absorption by about 3 percent, protein by maybe 5%. It’s been estimated that increasing fiber intake from 18 to 36 g/day would increase caloric losses by about 100 cal/day or so. Essentially, the fiber prevents the enzymes from being able to reach the nutrients, and they simply pass through unabsorbed. This is another reason that high-fiber intakes can be useful while dieting: decreased caloric absorption. Of course, no athlete or bodybuilder wants decreased protein absorption so its sort of a mixed blessing.
There are 2 types of fiber with drastically different effects in the intestines. One accelerates (diarrhea?) residence time and the other type slows it down. Please specify which type this refers to.

Thanks;
Mike

Last edited by Mike : 03-25-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: extra word
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I'll check to be 100% sure but soluble fiber, by gelling around the nutrients and preventing access to them by enzymes is going to be the most likely one to cause this effect
Unread 03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

yeah, that's where this soundbite came from, I just can't be bothered to go open my copy and find it
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Administrator

please stop posting drunk, what melatonin has to do with this sticked thread I have no idea but it's irrelevant
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I'll check to be 100% sure but soluble fiber, by gelling around the nutrients and preventing access to them by enzymes is going to be the most likely one to cause this effect
I would think so too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber

Goodbye;
Mike

Last edited by Mike : 03-26-2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Default Fiber

My experience has been constipation from high fiber content.
I suspect the fiber powders sold over the counter to be mostly sugars and feel that a piece of whole wheat bread is healthier. If it was good enough for Julius Ceasar's legions then it is good enough for me.

Supposedly his best legion threatened to mutiny over being fed meat. They were Spaniards who averaged only about 5' 5", but were invincible. To get a feeling for what this legion was capable of you have to visit Masada.
Unread 10-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
My experience has been constipation from high fiber content.
I suspect the fiber powders sold over the counter to be mostly sugars and feel that a piece of whole wheat bread is healthier. If it was good enough for Julius Ceasar's legions then it is good enough for me.

Supposedly his best legion threatened to mutiny over being fed meat. They were Spaniards who averaged only about 5' 5", but were invincible. To get a feeling for what this legion was capable of you have to visit Masada.
Uhhh....ok.
Unread 10-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Who knew all our fiber answers lied in Masada?
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
If it was good enough for Julius Ceasar's legions then it is good enough for me.
Do you share their lifestyle?