BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-29-2009, 05:40 PM

You know, that thought of having forearms, calves and traps reminds me of a guy at one of my son's baseball games.

The guy was skinny, tall and skinny. Legs looked like sticks, torso was a stick.. But man did he have some traps/neck, and his forearms were quite well built. His calves were small but had that explosive look (really high and ball-ish like a black athlete).

I asked the guy how he acquired his build, and he said he climbed. Made sense then.
Unread 07-29-2009, 08:36 PM

lyle is spot on with the things he says. i have trained alot of people, and many of them have had problems getting the calves to respond. as lyle mentions genetics play a big role in calf development but crappy calf training is another big reason for lack of results.

as lyle says don't bounce at the bottom (very important). do most of your calf work with straight legs (or almost straight legs inorder to protect the knees). work the calves 2-3 days a week at the gym (they can handle alot of training but don't go from 0 to 100 in a blink of an eye)

other things that can help calf development is jogging, uphill sprints, or walking on a high incline on a treadmill etc.

or get really fat.
Unread 07-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlakramondas View Post
other things that can help calf development is jogging, uphill sprints, or walking on a high incline on a treadmill etc.

or get really fat.
Or throw on a heavy weighted vest and walk on an incline treadmill? So now your a fat person walking uphill
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM

Aww Devo you took the fun out of that piece of advice.
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Aww Devo you took the fun out of that piece of advice.
Well I would still advise people to just "get fat"

Soooo how much would incline walking REALLY contribute to calve development? maybe a little bit of soleus?
Unread 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
Or throw on a heavy weighted vest and walk on an incline treadmill? So now your a fat person walking uphill
i would be very careful about using heavy weighted vests. specially if you dont slowly increase the weight your carrying around and the distance you're walking.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 07-31-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Unread 07-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
Well I would still advise people to just "get fat"

Soooo how much would incline walking REALLY contribute to calve development? maybe a little bit of soleus?
.5312 inches in 123 days.

i know several people who have gotten their calves to respond by doing out of the gym activities such as daily uphill walking, started working as a postman etc

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 07-31-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:16 AM

When I was a young and foolish teen I took up step aerobics (yes this was in the early 90's, no I didn't wear the spandex) in an attempt to lose weight. All it did for me was make me have to get the next size up in jeans because I could no longer get my current ones over my damn calves. My waistline happily filled out the new jeans not long after.

I still have monster calves, I hate them, sorry guys but I am female, we should have nice legs not 17" monstrosities.. *sigh*
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM

question....

which is more important (for str. leg exer.) when youve finally worked up to this type of routine.....explosive concentric or go heavy.

ive done a few weeks of working up to this w/o and now ive reached the point of my question. the wgt. is getting to the point i would begin to call HEAVY but i wouldnt call the lift explosive. at this point it is still going up in around 1 sec. (as per the tempo you gave) but that doesnt feel explosive and any increase in wgt would slow it even more.

should i remain at this wgt., since heavier is slower, until i can move more "explosively" or go heavier (which i certainly could) while trying to lift as explosively as possible.

thank you
Unread 09-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Yes, go explosively heavily.