BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-12-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Hungrier on diet break than the diet

I thought perhaps trying to get advice to fix it would be more helpful than just whining about it in my log like I have been all week.

I just finished 4 weeks on RFL as a Cat 2 (doing the usual 1 free meal, 1 refeed each week). Before that I had been dieting all year, mostly at a smaller deficit, with frequent, albeit unstructured, breaks. I'd estimate I'm around 25%BF right now (at 135 lbs), so not real lean.

I have been on the diet break for 5 days, eating the same foods I ate on RFL but with added fats (cream in coffee mostly) and 150+ carbs every day. Same amount of EC on the diet and off. When I stick to maintenance calories (~1800) I am ravenous! One day I ate to satiety and ended up 1000 calories over maintenance.

I just wanted to ask: is this a common occurrence? Does it usually pass quickly? Should I just white-knuckle through it? Is there anything I can do to make it easier?
Unread 12-13-2017, 02:08 AM

It is pretty common. Probably it will "dissipate" after a week or 2 when hormones are restored.

First of all you've just been dieting and your body is tuned to binge. It wants to survive. Prolonged restriction of food causes your body to increase various signals. You'll be very hungry, even dog food smells delicious and you start daydreaming about children made of candy.

Secondly, most people eat slightly below maintenance after a diet. Mostly because TDEE is downshifted a little bit and your body is more than willing to store any surplus as fat. Most diets (and Lyle as well) suggest people to eat 5-10% below maintenance to avoid excessive fat gain. Nevertheless, it's still a deficit, which will not be satiating to say the least.

Thirdly, once you introduce food again (especially carbs) your body "thinks" you've migrated to a place of food and it will signal to start feeding. I'm a strong believer that daily maintenance is not natural at all. Naturally and evolutionary speaking, there are days of fasting and days of feasting. In my opinion, being somewhere in the middle never feels saturated.

Lastly, carbs. When your body is running on ketones, your mind is clear, your hunger is almost nonexistent, and your well being is fairly high. Once you introduce carbs, your blood glucose will fluctuate more, you may become lazy, hungry, sluggish or ravenous. Of course, carbs are not the enemy, but in some cases they can make dieting pretty hard.

Last edited by Determinism : 12-13-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Unread 12-13-2017, 08:44 AM

How much do you weigh and what's your activity level like?
1800 calories is a bit low...
Unread 12-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Pretty common. My advice is to stick with very bland diet foods and volume foods (think cucumbers, potatoes, bean sprouts, lean meats)
Unread 12-13-2017, 11:19 AM

I love these types of stories.

Unfortunately you really just gotta suck it up. Horrible as it is. Don't give in. And you won't nullify all your hard work
Unread 12-13-2017, 02:07 PM

I experienced the same when I came off my CAT II run this year. I had more anxiety or mental gymnastics on the 2 week diet break than on RFL itself. I felt much hungrier on the 2 week diet break and it took a little bit of discipline to not turn every day until a binge. Oddly enough I would justify a lot of extra carbohydrates as "just getting my hormones back to normal brah." Lots of cheerios and milk...Luckily the diet break itself was planned and I was successful for most of it and I think that is big reason why my fat loss has maintained for the most part (I have gained back a few but still overwhelmingly living through the changes as long as I keep at it).

For me, I felt better after a few weeks. Its more of battle now of transitioning from dieting mode to lifestyle mode until one decides to bulk/cut again.
Unread 12-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the advice and feedback, everyone. It helps to know it's common; I can white-knuckle it for a week or two if needed. What freaks me out is the worry that this might just be what maintenance feels like. Then I'd just have to go back to being fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadfubach View Post
How much do you weigh and what's your activity level like?
1800 calories is a bit low...
135 lbs (female) and very sedentary, especially this week (kids have been sick so I can't use the gym daycare and never have the discipline to fit in a workout at home). I barely hit 5000 steps a day on my fitness tracker.

The only confounding factor is that I am still breastfeeding a little bit -- but my twins are two years old, eating table food and just nursing to fall asleep, so I can't imagine they're a huge caloric drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
I'm a strong believer that daily maintenance is not natural at all. Naturally and evolutionary speaking, there are days of fasting and days of feasting. In my opinion, being somewhere in the middle never feels saturated.
I can't speak to any evolutionary basis but it reflects my experience in the past, that some days I'm really hungry and some days not so much. The problem is that I'm still learning not to eat out of boredom and habit on the non-hungry days. So if I eat to satiety on the hungry days I end up in a big surplus by the end of the week.

Last edited by Liberty : 12-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Unread 12-13-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
What freaks me out is the worry that this might just be what maintenance feels like. Then I'd just have to go back to being fat!
I'm not trying to be a downer, but it could be the case that your maintenance does feel slightly like that from now on. I lost about 60-70lbs total through diet and training and I am usually ravenous unless I eat in a large surplus (I'm talking UD2 style refeed and even then I'm hungry some days). I'll sometimes take 6-8 week breaks just to eat at maintenance, and even at the end, I still find maintenance rather unsatisfying.

Occasionally, I'll have the off day where I'm not hungry, but that is rare. You just have to remember that it sucked getting here and it would suck watching yourself lose the progress you've made. That's what keeps me pressing on.
Unread 12-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Ugh, that is depressing news, Phys. I can white-knuckle through RFL because there's an end date, but I know I will snap if I have to feel this way for too long.

Heck, maybe I will just start another diet. I had been planning to maintain for a good long time because I was so sick of dieting, but if I'm going to feel hungry anyway, I could drop a pants size in the process.
Unread 12-13-2017, 10:08 PM

And that's the problem with RFL or any fast fat loss strategy

A dash to the finish line with no idea how to eat sustainably and manage your hunger once you get there and an unrealistic expectation that once you get there it's going to all go back to normal

Last edited by Hectic : 12-13-2017 at 10:11 PM.