BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-12-2017, 08:15 PM

Default Estradiol test results questions

Hello. It would be of great help to me if those here with knowledge/experience with this subject could help me. My Estradiol test came back a bit high and I need to determine what I'm going to do. I've never had one before, but I have suspected there might be an issue due to a substantial change in fat distribution in my posterior and upper leg region which was not always this way. This factor is what led me to get the test done. The result was 44 (h) pg/mL and the high end of normal on test read 39. This is only a little high, but it is higher than the recommended range and I've read that a better number to shoot for for general health purposes is below 30.

My testosterone levels which were also tested around the same time were more than acceptable according to the test reference range and also my reading. Total test: 648 ng/dL (250-1100) and free test 81.6 pg/mL (35-155).

I have suspicion on where things may have a gone awry but they are just suspicions. About 2 1/2 years ago I was feeling a little burnt out probably from a bit of overtraining and just getting a little older. I'm 38. My workout dutration, intensity, and recovery times were all 10% or so in the wrong direction. I was recommended a supplement called DHEA, spoke with my doctor and got his approval and started taking the minimum amount. It helped with my training but I noticed at night when I would take it a kind of burning sensation in or around my brain. I put up with this for only a week or so before I called it quits on DHEA.

Shortly after I noticed significant problems with my memory, recollection, reading and retaining, concentration. Possibly others. These things seems to have gotten better but I still feel like there may be some permanent (hopefully reversible or progressively rectifiable) damage I deal with each day. Then there came the prostate problems - retaining urine (my doctor said when I was tested that my bladder urine retention was 10 times higher than it should have been. I now take flomax daily to pacify that condition.

So beside the afore my health numbers (chol., blood sugar, thyroid, cbc) are where they are supposed to be.

But then there is the estradiol. Ive read some of the symptoms of high estradiol and they seem to make sense: feminine physical characteristics(Ive always been very concerned about and dedicated to my physique so its quite frustrating), decreased physical vigor, trouble losing weight, and concentration issues. There are more but those make sense as I assess my condition.

So my question is, could my estradiol level be a cause of problems for me where they are now and how should I go about dealing with it if it is? This is something I want to be prepared to discuss with my doctor intelligently when I see him in a few months so any feed back on this topic from those here with experience and knowledge would be of great help and tremendously appreciated.

Thank you greatly in advance.
Unread 06-13-2017, 07:51 PM

What did the doctor offer in terms of solutions? Sounds like you have high estrogen and possible prostate issues. Your test levels seem pretty average and good.

I'd personally ask about a low dose AI and try taking that. There may also be natural solutions you can take in regards to estrogen. But really you should consult your doctor and if doesn't seem too helpful, talk with an endocrinologist.
Unread 06-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks. I haven't seen my urologist since he ordered the test. But his office left a phone message with a message from the doctor that the estradiol results were normal. I guess they could be a lot worse, but I think I'm going to ask him for a second test and then if the results come back elevated, say still above 40, then maybe I should pursue some form of treatment.

My medication situation is kinda complicated as I take medication for my brain chemistry Seroquel and Latuda, and I take the Flomax for my prostate. Ideally I wouldnt have to add anything more, but certainly, if the levels of estradiol I'm at could be contributing to my change in figure and decreased physical capacity, if the doctor thinks an AI would be a safe counter measure, I would be more than willing to go that route.

Could the increased estradiol be causing weight distribution pattern changes to the buttocks and upper leg region? Ive always and only ever read that man breasts are the noticeable change, and I have none of that. It's like my rear and upper legs are at 25-30% bodyfat and the rest of me is at a much lower level, closer to 15%.

Also, am I right to desire an estradiol test result in the range of 20-30? I know its likely more complicated. But, would such a seemingly small change 15-20 pg/mL downward be beneficial and or/and important? If most men my age are in that afore lower range, I will certainly be persistent in attempting to attain lower levels.
Unread 06-24-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaestes123 View Post

Could the increased estradiol be causing weight distribution pattern changes to the buttocks and upper leg region? Ive always and only ever read that man breasts are the noticeable change, and I have none of that. It's like my rear and upper legs are at 25-30% bodyfat and the rest of me is at a much lower level, closer to 15%.

Also, am I right to desire an estradiol test result in the range of 20-30? I know its likely more complicated. But, would such a seemingly small change 15-20 pg/mL downward be beneficial and or/and important? If most men my age are in that afore lower range, I will certainly be persistent in attempting to attain lower levels.
1) Not sure. That is not a stubborn bodyfat area for men that I'm aware of.

Take a look to see some of the problems with high estrogen: https://www.discountedlabs.com/blog/...-studies-show/

2) Yeah, that would be a good start. You are at the upper range now from what I've read.

See here
https://tctmed.com/normal-estradiol-levels/

Also not sure your urologist is the best person to talk to. It may be costly but Id look at talking to an endocrinologist. A urologist isn't going to have the best knowledge for hormone discussion.

Would personally talk to an endocrinologist, show him your test results and tell them you'd like to be put on a low dose AI. See what they think.
Unread 06-27-2017, 11:00 PM

You take a number of quite powerful drugs as it is. You're below 40 years old.

How essential is it, truly, for you to be taking any of those three or so medications? Has it been said that your body can never function normally without taking them?
Unread 07-04-2017, 04:52 PM

Thanks ssg and big pecs. Haven't been by here in a while because there was not much post activity initially.

The first link seems to indicate that estrogen deficiency and not moderate or otherwise excess can be problematic. The second which I had come by before also makes estrogen out to not be the bad guy many chalk it up to be. Lot of unanswered questions here just like most other topics in health.

I plan to have my estradiol results taken again. It was the sensitive test recommended in the first link. If they are still above 40 then perhaps I should pursue treatment.

Its not like I'm asking to haev my test levels adjusted way upward - just a proper balance in what I've come to see as the main male and female hormones. Unfortunately as far as I know, there may be nothing wrong with my levels as they are. And I surely would not want to complicate my health situation further by adding a new medication to my regiment.

Its just a matter of determining whether or not the benefits outweigh any potential risks. I value my physical strength and capacity more than most things in life(I'm an endurance cyclist, and, general fitness
"enthusiast". As I do my mind and its faculties. And not least, good health. If a better test/est ratio could potentially improve any of these without damaging the other(s), then it is worth pursuing - I just don't know how I would determine this, even with a doctors guidance.

With regards to the meds I take. The prostate medication is 100% necessary as far as we know and I am told permanently. The other 2 that i take for my brain chemistry are necessary at least for the time being perhaps permanently as they help my brain operate more normally. So thats pretty much a no-go, too.

I guess my question pertaining to estrogen is whether or not it would be safe and/or necessary to pursue lower levels if my results say 44 pg/ml, and my should my goal be 20-30(why is that range in my head?)?

I will talk to my doctor. He may be willing to suggest an endocrinologist. He may also say that my levels are normal and that he will not. Just not sure how adamantly I need to pursue this issue.

Thanks again guys for your time and input.
Unread 07-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaestes123 View Post
I guess my question pertaining to estrogen is whether or not it would be safe and/or necessary to pursue lower levels if my results say 44 pg/ml, and my should my goal be 20-30(why is that range in my head?)?

I will talk to my doctor. He may be willing to suggest an endocrinologist. He may also say that my levels are normal and that he will not. Just not sure how adamantly I need to pursue this issue.

Thanks again guys for your time and input.
So I think your goal is reasonable. Too high estrogen can be very detrimental to men. So you are aware too, you are the one in control. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor you want to see an endocrinologist. You don't have to get his permission. You are the patient.

I don't mean to sound like I'm pressuring you. I'm not. Test and Estrogen control so much and I have just seen the effects of living with lowish values of test and seen the change it brought once I took action on it (low dose SERM). It helped get rid of my depression pretty much for good.

EDIT: Btw hope it all works out.

Last edited by ssg10587 : 07-04-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Unread 07-05-2017, 12:19 PM

Thank you SSG. I truly appreciate you taking an interest I my situation and responding to my posts. I have an appt on Friday so I'll share with my PCP the estradiol results. One thing I have in my favor was the fact that I asked him to test my estrogen levels before, about a year or so ago. He didn't think it was necessary but my suspicion seems to have been founded. I thought there might be an imbalance and there was one. I just couldn't explain where the apparently uneven fat distribution had originated. It just seemed like my physique had become slightly feminine. I've always, for at least 15 years, been meticulous about sculpting all parts of my body. This has removed a part of my life which has given me significant pleasure. My physical capacity to do work whether it is out on the road, in the gym, or manual labor seems to be quite diminished also. It just seems like I'm dragging myself around a lot more instead of powering through things.

I'll see what he has to say. Hopefully the numbers speak for themselves and raise a red flag in his mind also. Then another test to see if the estradiol is still elevated (the last test was about 3-4 months ago). And go from there.

Thank you again.