BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-02-2018, 07:57 AM

Default Can you guys help my mum who is very overweight and struggling?

Hi guys, posting this for my mother who has been struggling to lose weight since Jan.

She's been on a keto diet but I told her it's just a matter of calories in vs calories out so just choose a diet she can adhere to. Nonetheless she opted for keto and tells me shes:

Been keto since Jan 2nd
Consuming MAX 1600 calories a day
18 lbs weight lost since Jan (but claims shes put back on 4lbs now even though she's stuck to the same diet).
5% carbs, 15% protein, 80% fat macro split
Only had 3 cheat meals in the last 9 weeks and they weren't crazy binges at all

She saying that she just hasn't lost any weight for 5 weeks and normally I'd say 'well, drop the calories more then, increase the deficit' but how can it be that she's been eating 1600 calories max for 3 months and her weight loss has stalled.

She is still very much over weight by the way... but from my experience anyone that is say 20 stone and eats 1600 calories for 3 months, the weight loss should just continue to come off.

Could it be here metabolism is I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.ed? Or genetically she has an issue? Meaning can things be more complicated than just calories in vs out? She has been overweight for at least 20 years..

Thanks for help.
Unread 03-02-2018, 08:24 AM

She probably missreported calories consumed. That's usually the main reason.
Unread 03-02-2018, 08:37 AM

WIth her fat being that high, it makes her prone to consuming much more she’s reporting. Being + or - carbs or protein isn’t the end of the world. Fat is a different story
Unread 03-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
She probably missreported calories consumed. That's usually the main reason.
Yeah, I get that's usually the main reason but we're not talking about someonewho is 12-15% here where miscounting a few hundred calories can be a strong factor in ones weightloss. She must be around 45% bodyfat so even if she were super off by say 500 and consuming around 2000 calories, she should still be losing weight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredordie View Post
WIth her fat being that high, it makes her prone to consuming much more she’s reporting. Being + or - carbs or protein isn’t the end of the world. Fat is a different story
I grilled her hard on the reporting. She tells me she weights everything. See my answer above for more clarity there.

Why is fat a different story? I assume you're just saying that because it's more calorie dense at 9kcal a gram and therefore if most of her calories are from fat she's more likely to be off as a result?

Case in point is the ONLY way she's not losing weight 'cuz she misreporting and miscalculating? I thought that was the only way but she's bloody assuring me she's been accurate and consistent...
Unread 03-03-2018, 11:27 AM

Well if she is open to it you could try and work on the accuracy of her tracking together. Suggest framing it as "let's get to the bottom of this together so we can eliminate this as the problem" vs. "you are just doing it wrong".

It is possible she just isn't including certain things, or her scales might be inaccurate, or she may be using bad information on the calories of some foods that she eats...one site has user added entries that are all over and even manufacturer's numbers can be off; I think they are allowed a 10% margin of error.

Maybe she is sleep eating? Or has some actual physiological issue (hypothyroid?) that causes her body to use fewer calories?
Unread 03-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Is she sedentary? Honestly 1600 calories could be close to her maintenance if she has a desk job and then comes home and sits around all evening. Consider the fact that she's an older female, already prone to having a slower metabolism. I'm a 22 year old somewhat active male and I usually diet at around 1600 calories.
Unread 03-04-2018, 03:10 AM

You haven't mentioned exercise.

First, as Holly said try to monitor her intake with her to make sure she's not miscalculating. If she's not, before dropping calories is prob time to add some daily walking. Even 20-30' light walking daily will make quite the difference

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 03-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Thanks guys.

Looks conclusive then that she's just not in enough of a deficit. She does 0 exercises and sits all day, doesn't lift weights either so maybe I'll suggest for her to incorporate some more exercise.

Thanks.