BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-28-2014, 07:59 AM

Question Posture freak - need help!

Hi, my first post

To make a very long story short, I just turned 20 and my posture is screwed up. I have been hunching over at the PC for the last 8 years, while also being very near sighted, so now I've ended up with all the postural problems one could possibly have. I don't use glasses anymore and I don't use the PC so much anymore - I try to walk around and stand whenever possible. But I do sit A LOT in school all day, everyday. I've just begun weight lifting 3 days a week where I do all the major compound lifts, and I also added rear delt flies and face pulls to help with my posture.

I have kyophosis, lordosis, anterior pelvic tilt, forward head posture, forward shoulders, and my right foot points outward when I walk. I have been conscious of my (bad) posture for the last 6 months only.

I haven't used a computer for the last 2 months, and I've stretched my shoulders daily and foam rolled my chest like a madman. However, I don't see any changes in them at all when I relax.
I do quad and hip flexor stretches, as I want to do the splits in some weeks time.
I stretch out my shoulders and chest in a door frame.
I don't know what I should do about my forward head. Seems VERY unnatural when I try to pull it in, and I look like an idiot.

I just don't see any CHANGES. Could it be because of some muscle imbalance? Or because I walk / sit with bad posture? Or should I be more consistent in stretching? I find it really hard to maintain good posture, I think I look like a douche / chicken when I try.

Thanks for any answers I get and sorry for the long post.
Unread 09-28-2014, 10:21 AM

If it really bothers you, maybe post a picture here to see if everyone else thinks its as bad as you do? Have you ever asked a pt/dr/chiro/unbiased friend to do an assessment? I say that because I thought my posture was atrocious too; then I had a PT actually check it and it turned out it was fine.

IMO your post sounds a bit obsessive to me-- just keep doing your stretching/strength training and making a conscious effort to have better posture at all times(yes you might feel like a douche/chicken doing it) and things will get better.

ETA: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/searc...archid=2485764
There's a lot of other threads about this same problem, most answers you'll get here will just be repeating the same info

Last edited by jeen768 : 09-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Unread 09-28-2014, 10:31 AM

Calm down my man. It'll be OK. So what you been doing it takes a long time to make soft tissue changes in the body. So keep up with what your doing, also some great resources

Mobilitywod.com

Or search YouTube type 'Mwod shoulders' or 'mwod hips'

Any muscle area really believe he has over 500 free mobility movements.

Take care