BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviekm3 View Post
TNT book said that there was a study done at university of Alabama where they took 2 groups of beginners and 1 group did a full body workout 3 times a week and the other did full body workout once a week. The volume of sets per week was the same for each of the two groups. Just the once a week group did more sets in their weekly workout and the 3 times a week group did 1/3 the sets for each of the 3 times.

Anyways after some time ( I forget how long they waited ). The 3 times a week group gained 9 lbs of muscle while the once a week group gained 5lbs.

I don't know what other variables were controlled ( diet, how many reps, timing of rep, going to failure etc ).
i have seen studies on dan moores site that say 1x a wk is less effective than 3x a wk,but 2x a wk,is as effective as 3x.

TBH unless the 2 groups in the studies,both contained identical twins of differing ages and sexes,and they stayed in a lab enviroment for the duration,then it can only be used as an indicator IMO.
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

it will depend on what you're looking

according to the Rhea meta-analyses, beginners get a bigger training effect (in terms of strength, growth is far less well studied) training more frequently (3X/week) and at a lower aveage intensity (60%)

as folks get more trained, better results come from less frequency (2X/week) with higher intensity (80%+)