BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Default Drop sets

A question I had was in regards to "drop sets". Or where you set a weight you can do in good form for about 8 reps or so then after completing the set you drop the weight 10%-25% and immediately (5 second pause) continue moving the weight till the last struggling rep. And then again you drop the weight another 10%-25% (5 second pause to change the weight) and then you do another number of reps to about failure. I was wondering if you would classify this "drop set" technique into more of a pump training/depletion method or would it be a hypertrophy/tension training method? I used to use this method alot on isolation exercises but I am wondering if its more geared to rapid glycogen depletion rather than a method to really stimulate hypertrophy? Thanks.
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

both

it will depend mostly on where you set the intensity of the initial set. if it's heavy enough, it will have hypertrophic effects, there is also a volume component to growth

dropping will also deplete glycogen
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
both

it will depend mostly on where you set the intensity of the initial set. if it's heavy enough, it will have hypertrophic effects, there is also a volume component to growth

dropping will also deplete glycogen
Truth.

This is why drops and supersets are great components of hybrid schemes like Broser's modified PRRS Hybrid routine... wherein you begin a workout with heavy low-rep sets, work eventually through rep-range sets and finish with intense drop or supersets.
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

and then you overtrain