BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Default Category 2 here. Planning to do some walking (4x per week) with 2x per week weights

Is there anyone else who has a desk job, from home, also doing RFL? I fall into this category, and will probably be in this category for the rest of 2017.

Even before starting RFL, I came to realize that the effect of daily activity has a significant effect on number of calories you burn everyday.

I learned this when I was doing a more steady weight loss approach of 1-3 lbs per week. My total calories were so low, but I also had practically zero daily activity. It was pretty much get up, walk to my desk (5 steps away), sit down, work. Then in the evening, walk to the couch, watch tv. Then go to sleep.

I was around 240lbs, 6'3". I started dieting at around 2200 calories, and before I started RFL, I was down to 1800 calories! A lot of my friends said I was crazy, that I had damaged my metabolism, etc. But personally, I knew it was my lack of daily activity. And yes, at that time I was working out with weights 3x per week, and 3x per week HIIT cardio too. But outside of that, no daily activity.

Which brings me to the point, anybody else feel that calories from total daily activity can be quite significant, especially for someone who is completely sedentary? If so, and based on that reason alone, I've decided to clock in around 30-40 minutes of low intensity, semi-fast paced walking on the treadmill 4x per week. iirc, i belive i started doing this the first time i did rfl, can't remember if i stuck with it or not though.

having said all that, i know rfl says, no HIIT. and i agree with that. but will i be doing myself a favor (considering the complete sedentary lifestyle right now), by going to the gym and getting the brisk walking for 40mins on treadmill done?

I just feel strange, because it's one thing to only lift 2x per week. but to only lift 2x per week, while staying and working from home really sucks.

any thoughts on this? in my case, would i benefit from 4x per week of brisk walking for around 40 minutes?

(so this idea of calories burned from daily activity alone (not including weights or cardio) got me thinking. I think it's a lot higher than people actually realize. i did see a documentary on this specific topic. they talk about things as little as fidgeting around, and taking the staircase, and parking far in the parking lot, etc, to increase this factor for helping with weight loss)

found a summary of the documentary, number 9 illustrates this point: http://www.motleyhealth.com/weight-l...to-lose-weight

Last edited by FinishThisCut : 10-22-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Unread 10-22-2017, 04:21 PM

That’s ok by the book so you shouldn’t have any problems. I work from home over half the week as well and if it’s a rest day from lifting try to get outside or to the gym for at least some walking on those days or I get bad cabin fever.
Unread 10-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Look up NEAT. Lyle has talked extensively about it, and there's been a ton of research on it. It's basically any extra calories burned not as a result of intentional physical activity or BMR or TEF. It's a HUGE factor in determining TDEE and often ignored.

As for your question, when I did my 6 week category 2 run, I was doing incline walking 30-60 minutes 4-6 days a week depending on how much time I had, and I felt it helped significantly. It didn't hurt my lifts either because I kept it low enough intensity I wasn't tapping in to much glycogen. Definitely go for it, especially with such a sedentary lifestyle.
Unread 10-23-2017, 06:56 AM

My whole category 2 run was with a sedentary lifestyle. I still made significant progress. The amount of calories you're gonna burn through deficit alone is going to be so large that additional activity, imo, only helps a little bit in the long-run.

2 hour commute to work
8 or 9 hour desk job
2 hour commute home
Make dinner, plump on couch. Play with my kid
Go to sleep

Now I would say walking (and heavy lifting) is very effective on RFL because you won't have energy for much else. I would read some of the walking logs; they're interesting reads.
Unread 10-23-2017, 07:28 AM

I also have a fairly sedentary job, with long hours. I walk at least 30 minutes a day (my commute), but I also try to get out for a longer walk maybe every other day, work schedule allowing.

I don't know how much walking helps physiologically with fat loss -- I'm not burning many calories on the walks -- but it helps me psychologically. First, regular "exercise" (even if just a walk) keeps me in a "stick with the diet" mindframe. Second, it also just gets me away from the kitchen or break room for that hour or however long I'm walking.

The danger, of course, is if you start rationalizing greater food intake by saying, "oh, I went for a walk today, I deserve X." Don't.

There are many reasons why people in cities tend to be thinner, on average, than people who live in suburban or rural areas. Much of it is a selection effect (i.e., who chooses to live in cities), but some of it is the lifestyle effect of walking more and driving less.

//bstrong