BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-08-2018, 08:32 AM

Default Maintaing Muscle?

Assuming someone is trying to cut a significant amount and has been out of the gym for awhile, would they have to lift as heavy as possible to maintain their muscle on a big deficit, or can they just lift somewhat heavy and slowly load weight on, without going ham, or do you need to be lifting huge amounts to retain your muscle. Is it just about whatever makes your muscles feel worn/used so that your body avoids catabolizing muscle?

Because I stopped lifting for almost 3-4 years seriously for awhile, and now I have a decent amount of fat to cut, but I can't lift as much as I want sometimes as I don't always have time to hit the gym, so I use what I have at home, and my particular weights to go up to huge amounts like the gym has, and I am curious if it's enough weight to still preserve muscle (I am 100% getting enough protein so the nutritional concept is out of the idea) because what I am lifting is still not easy to lift, I can't spam reps with the lower weights I am doing, so presumably they are still useful.

The weights in question are primarily in terms of bench presses/squats/dead lifts, as I can use the same dumbbell size in the gym as I do at home.

Opinions ?
Unread 01-08-2018, 08:37 AM

Lift at RPE9-10. A few sets per muscle group and you're done. Just follow Lyle's guidelines from the website.

And besides, it is normal if you lose 1 or 2 reps when performing RFL. It's an extreme diet.
Unread 01-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Lift at RPE9-10. A few sets per muscle group and you're done. Just follow Lyle's guidelines from the website.

And besides, it is normal if you lose 1 or 2 reps when performing RFL. It's an extreme diet.
Ye I was following the lifting guideline, but I was wondering if I had to at maximum possible efficiency in terms of what I can lift to maintain, I do 3 x 8 reps with as heavy as I can get my hands on at that time, but as I said at home the weights are significantly less heavy.
Unread 01-08-2018, 09:14 AM

If it drops too much say you did 1x8 then next set was 1x5 drop 10% for last set etc
Unread 01-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWeightLoss View Post
Ye I was following the lifting guideline, but I was wondering if I had to at maximum possible efficiency in terms of what I can lift to maintain, I do 3 x 8 reps with as heavy as I can get my hands on at that time, but as I said at home the weights are significantly less heavy.
Well, you have to figure out how to maintain your current intensity level. The most important thing on a diet, which has been stated many times, is to lift the same weight as before the diet but fewer sets/volume. Hence, just use the weight that suits your level of intensity and don't change it anymore (except when you become weaker from the diet of course).

And yes: the level of intensity should be the level of intensity you can do with maximum effort (or very close to it).