BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-21-2017, 12:36 AM

Exactly, 2-3 heavy sets once or twice a week= developed abdomen. And it takes 5-10 minutes weekly.

If I may ask, was that picture taken before or after therapy?

Last edited by zLeeKo : 01-21-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Unread 01-21-2017, 08:17 AM

alcahuetej

Did you do your weighted ab work on the decline bench?

Regardless of what routine I'm using (UD2 or EOD) from now till memorial day Id say on average I'll be working abs at least three times per week. Volume shouldn't be a problem.

Weight could be if this issue persists with pain (that could just be ab weakness). Considering I'm just getting back into the swing of things I'm probably going to have to start with a higher rep range and work my weigh up in terms of intensity.

To be honest, I think if I ever can get those two top lines defined on my abs per your picture I'd be done. At 49, I could put a stake in the ground and say, yup, I got there. Then try and maintain that.

What BF % would you say you were at there along with weight?
Unread 01-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
If I may ask, was that picture taken before or after therapy?
Waaay before. That was probably the beginning of the end in terms of my spiral towards hypogonadism. At that time I felt great, and should have stopped there. But my pursuit of an even lower body fat, because in my eyes I wasn't ripped enough yet, over the course of two years caused my body to break down.

That and a possible pituatary gland issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
alcahuetej

Did you do your weighted ab work on the decline bench?
Nope, just anchor my feet under a couple dumb bells, and sit-up from the floor.

Quote:
What BF % would you say you were at there along with weight?
I DEXA scanned at 9% the week of that picture. Most of my body that is in the photo was 7% according to the scan. In both forums in the body fat estimation threads the range guessed was from 7 - 9%.

I was 163.6 lbs. the morning of those photos at 5'9". Over the next two years I would go as low as ~155 lbs., and I DEXA scanned again at 9%. Oddly I had more lower ab fat, so I leaned out in other places, and gained fat there. I've read that's a symptom of hypogonadism, but don't quote me on it.

Today I sit at 183 lbs. and if I had to guess, probably about 15 - 18% body fat.

Anecdotally, I got ALOT of compliments and attention when I looked like I did in the photos. But the end of the next two years I looked unhealthy, and people noticed. Most of the comments at that point was that I was too thin.

Now people say I look a lot healthier, and some don't even notice I put on 27 lbs.

Moral of the story, lean out as far as you realistically can, to the level that makes YOU happy. And ensure it's a level you can healthily maintain, without an unlreastic level of effort.
Unread 01-22-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Waaay before. That was probably the beginning of the end in terms of my spiral towards hypogonadism. At that time I felt great, and should have stopped there. But my pursuit of an even lower body fat, because in my eyes I wasn't ripped enough yet, over the course of two years caused my body to break down.

That and a possible pituatary gland issue.
Yep, low BF is killer for testosterone. I remember you talking how your doc suggested you to bulk up a bit.

Btw, clomiphene is the worst drug I ever took, felt like woman in PMS. You're indeed a clomid unicorn.
Unread 01-22-2017, 06:39 AM

The hell?

Forget DEXA. By conventional numbers, this guy is clearly no higher than 15%

What is it these days about people throwing around 18%s etc for males who are in completely fine shape.
Unread 01-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
The hell?

Forget DEXA. By conventional numbers, this guy is clearly no higher than 15%

What is it these days about people throwing around 18%s etc for males who are in completely fine shape.
Yeah, I said 16% as maximal number, altough his abdomen looks <15% to me.

18% is fat, and he has no love handles. And abs are slightly visible.
Unread 01-22-2017, 09:00 AM

[quote=alcahuetej;
Moral of the story, lean out as far as you realistically can, to the level that makes YOU happy. And ensure it's a level you can healthily maintain, without an unlreastic level of effort.[/QUOTE]

Yup that's the trick. I think it's easy to lose your mind reaching for an elusive BF number that's most likely impossible to maintain.

Did situps on the decline bench again. Feeling pain. No good. Crunches on the swiss ball don't feel as bad. Something's up here. Going to keep chipping away slowly. Hoping my abs are just crazy weak.

And if weakness is the problem, I just wasted a ton of time in the gym with a dumbell between my knees and raising to above parallel. I clearly was not working abs here.
Unread 01-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Yeah, I said 16% as maximal number, altough his abdomen looks <15% to me.

18% is fat, and he has no love handles. And abs are slightly visible.
Great! I can officially do UD2 (even though I've been doing it anyway).
Unread 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Yup that's the trick. I think it's easy to lose your mind reaching for an elusive BF number that's most likely impossible to maintain.

Did situps on the decline bench again. Feeling pain. No good. Crunches on the swiss ball don't feel as bad. Something's up here. Going to keep chipping away slowly. Hoping my abs are just crazy weak.

And if weakness is the problem, I just wasted a ton of time in the gym with a dumbell between my knees and raising to above parallel. I clearly was not working abs here.
I'm not sure if some people are meant for this movement...someone in this thread recommended "flexing the spine" but I don't know about that either. Would love to get a proper description of performing this exercise properly...

I too cannot do weighted abs without having lower back pain...(though my story is different...I have had surgery at L5-S1 so I doubt I'll ever be able to do these without pain or risking serious injury)
Unread 02-16-2017, 06:13 PM

About a month later since my pic on page 1. Since that time I jumped into about 7-10 days maintenance and then 3 weeks of UD2. Goal for this stretch was to hit 170 and see where I'm at.

Weighed in today after tension (and some whey and a bowl of white rice) at 169.6. So, minus another 5 lbs. Pic was taken pretty much in the same state as previous + calories above. Been taking Prednisone but I don't think water retention has been an issue (although that is not pleasant while doing depletion and low cals/carbs). Same flex as previous as well.

Was hoping for more pop in the abs and damn that little pocket of fat in the low abs. Frustrating.

Going on vacation for a week and then may give 165 lbs a run as somebody suggested. As an aside, my mom dug out my old varsity jacket out of the attic this week. I wore this at age 16/17. It fit. Scary.