BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-15-2015, 07:18 AM

Default AA Oxidation and the Anabolic Drive

I was trying to learn more about the "Anabolic Drive" from increased AA oxidation, but I am not able to access the two main sources you recommend in your book:

12. Millward, DJ. The endocrine response to dietary protein: the anabolic drive on growth. In Milk Proteins: Nutritional, clinical, functional and technological aspects. C.A. Barth, E. Schlimme (Eds.) Springer Verlag, 1989.
13. Millward, DJ and Rivers, JPW. The need for indispensable amino acids: the concept of the anabolic drive. Diabetes/Metabolism Rev (1989) 5:191-211.

Can anyone explain this a little more in-depth to me or refer me to somewhere I might be able to read up more on the topic?

Thanks!
Unread 04-15-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmirvin View Post
I was trying to learn more about the "Anabolic Drive" from increased AA oxidation, but I am not able to access the two main sources you recommend in your book:

12. Millward, DJ. The endocrine response to dietary protein: the anabolic drive on growth. In Milk Proteins: Nutritional, clinical, functional and technological aspects. C.A. Barth, E. Schlimme (Eds.) Springer Verlag, 1989.
13. Millward, DJ and Rivers, JPW. The need for indispensable amino acids: the concept of the anabolic drive. Diabetes/Metabolism Rev (1989) 5:191-211.

Can anyone explain this a little more in-depth to me or refer me to somewhere I might be able to read up more on the topic?

Thanks!
You haven't even asked a specific question. Do that first.

Also, you have been referred to where you can read more on the topic. If you can't access the materials, too bad I guess.

Last edited by BigPecsPeter : 04-15-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Unread 04-16-2015, 08:37 AM

I don't think I have ever seen you be helpful in one comment (BigPecsPeter). I don't even know why you respond.

I am curious as to the mechanism of why increased AA oxidation promotes protein synthesis or puts the body in a more anabolic state?

I will purchase the papers if needed I just thought someone might be able to explain, which would save me a little money. Obviously, you are not the person.
Unread 04-16-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think I have ever seen you be helpful in one comment (BigPecsPeter). I don't even know why you respond.

I am curious as to the mechanism of why increased AA oxidation promotes protein synthesis or puts the body in a more anabolic state?

I will purchase the papers if needed I just thought someone might be able to explain, which would save me a little money. Obviously, you are not the person.
I'm sorry if I offended you. Honestly, I just meant to point out that bibliographies are there to enable readers to go to the source, and that in my view the question was too unspecific to be answered.

I still feel the question is somewhat suspect. The passage you're referring to did not couch the concept in quite the terms you used above. Nothing was specified about "promoting protein synthesis" or putting the body in a "more anabolic state". I think these are your interpretations of phrases like "playing a role in overall anabolic drive" and "may have benefits for increasing muscle". I'm not trying to nitpick; I just think there are important reasons why such and such is carefully worded in a particular fashion.
Unread 04-17-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
I'm sorry if I offended you. Honestly, I just meant to point out that bibliographies are there to enable readers to go to the source, and that in my view the question was too unspecific to be answered.

I still feel the question is somewhat suspect. The passage you're referring to did not couch the concept in quite the terms you used above. Nothing was specified about "promoting protein synthesis" or putting the body in a "more anabolic state". I think these are your interpretations of phrases like "playing a role in overall anabolic drive" and "may have benefits for increasing muscle". I'm not trying to nitpick; I just think there are important reasons why such and such is carefully worded in a particular fashion.
Thanks, BigPecsPeter. You may be right. It may be carefully worded for a certain reason, but I am just curious to learn why he would say, "The increased
oxidation of AAs is thought to play a role in the overall “anabolic drive” of the body and may have benefits in terms of increasing muscle mass" AND "As well, while excess amino acids may simple be oxidized off, there is evidence that
increased AA oxidation is involved in the overall “anabolic drive” of the body."

I know this may not seem like a real important concept, but I like to learn
Unread 12-17-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, BigPecsPeter. You may be right. It may be carefully worded for a certain reason, but I am just curious to learn why he would say, "The increased
oxidation of AAs is thought to play a role in the overall “anabolic drive” of the body and may have benefits in terms of increasing muscle mass" AND "As well, while excess amino acids may simple be oxidized off, there is evidence that
increased AA oxidation is involved in the overall “anabolic drive” of the body."

I know this may not seem like a real important concept, but I like to learn
First time I read the book(a couple of years ago) didn't pay attention to the anabolic drive reference. I also find it interesting, maybe lyle can let us know what he meant by that.
Unread 12-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Thanks!
Best bet is to put the title of paper 2 into Pubmed. Then hit see all or see reviews. Whether Millward or anybody else is still pushing this concept I have no idea.