BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-04-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Time to stop the downward spiral! (48 yr, F, CAT 3)

Current Stats: 5'-5" F, 181.2 lbs, I estimate my body fat % around 38-39%, Waist=34", Hips=43"

This first post will probably be a little long but I have gotten to a point where I need to stop the downward spiral I have been on the past three years and stop feeling sorry for myself.

I used RFL off and on from July 2013 through Jan 2014 successfully. I was able to go from a 162 lb's to my lowest of around 147 lb's. I was primarily a CAT 2 and approaching CAT 1 as I could at times see my abs and had some nice definition in my arm's forming. I did well with the structure RFL gave me with the flexibility to work around events and holidays with breaks and free meals. Overall I probably averaged around 1.5 lb's/week of weight loss when on RFL which may seem on the low side but I'd say based on some of my free meal choices and over indulging in alcohol occasionally this is not too bad. Looking back at my log's, the weeks I was really good I saw closer to a 2 lb/week weight loss. With my current weight and now being a CAT 3 instead of CAT 2 I am hoping the first 10 lb's will come off quickly.

Now why the downward spiral that got me here in the first place. I was set in the beginning of 2014 to find a trainer to help me get to the point I could do a figure competition but what happened instead is that the stress of my job increased exponentially and I developed chronic pain in my hip/glutes and SI joint that I am still battling. I have seen an orthopedists, multiple physical therapists and chiropractor's, a sports medicine doc, tried ART/Grasstron/soft tissue massage with no diagnosis and only enough help to manage the symptoms and pain as to not interfere with every day living. However each time I felt better and tried to increase my activity the pain would return. I have been only able to work out at a reduced intensity. Currently I am working with a strength and conditioning coach 2x/week and they have been great at helping me modify exercises as needed but the volume and amount of weight I have been able to lift previously is greatly reduced. I also find that even with walking I have to scale back the intensity. So last month I went to a D.O./Physiatrist who may have given me a light at the end of the tunnel; he actually gave me a diagnosis and says he can fix me (trying not to get too optimistic about this). Anyway he says I have a "left on left forward sacral torsion" which over time I have come to realize is due to my falling on my tailbone about mid 2013. So with every effort to become pain free I have become more frustrated and defeated...thus the feeling sorry for myself and turning to food for comfort. Really I can truly relate to anyone who has dealt with or is dealing with chronic pain as it can be isolating, makes you depressed, and affects your overall quality of life. Well I have gotten to the point that the weight gain and how terrible I feel about my self is now more stressful than dealing with the pain. Since RFL works off of decreased activity anyway I figured I needed to go back to it and hoping to also get some support along the way with the forum.

So for my setup I decided to start with CAT 3 as a weight lifter, although I debated if I shouldn't use a lower multiplier for determining protein due to the decreased intensity level but since I have been athletic most of my life I decided to go with the higher protein. So my target is 110-115 g of protein per day and around 600 Cal/day. I will intermittent fast in the mornings with just coffee as I have a harder time in the evenings with eating so will save my calories for later in the day. I plan to abstain from all alcohol. Free meals I am planning on a steak with rice, vegetables and some fruit as a dessert.

Challenges:
There is food everywhere at work/school
Drinking enough water-I am shooting for 1 gal/day
Drinking my coffee without any cream
Not spiraling on bad days with the hip.

I will continue to workout 2x/week with my trainer and try to do some walking 2-3 times per week as well depending on how the hip feels.

Well thats it for now. Time for meal one of day one.

Talk to you all later!
Unread 02-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Default Day One Complete

Today's weight is 180.4 lb's (-.8/-.8).

Was hoping for a bit more of a drop but woke up with a cold this morning so the bod may not be in a releasing mood. I'll probably take some extra vitamin C today.

Got all of my water in. A full gallon.

Overall did well on the diet, no slips. I probably fell short of about 10g of protein as I didn't feel very hungry before bed so didn't eat the cottage cheese I had planned. Did have some creamer in my coffee for 15 calories. It's not that much calorie wise but probably adds up over time. Will try black today.

No exercise yesterday. Hip was feeling ok, not much pain but was definitely feeling stiff and tight. Probably from the 6 hour flight from Panama City Friday.

Happy Super Bowl Everyone!
Unread 02-06-2017, 10:28 AM

Default Boom There it is!

Weight: 178.0 (-2.4, -3.2)

Day two brought the weight loss gods! Ok, yeah it's all water weight at this stage but when you are not feeling very well and just getting started the move on the scale is very motivating not to give in to the carb/surger devil on the other shoulder.

Hopefully I will never see 180lb's again!! As long as tomorrow's free meal doesn't catapult me back I should be good to go.

Yesterday I was basically a slug. Fighting a cold and awful headache so sat around doing nothing but reading, watching TV, and napping. Woke up feeling better but still stuffed up a bit this morning but I think I'm over the hump.

Finished my workout with Strength and Conditioning Coach this morning. Still fighting some pains from the week of traveling but amazingly even though somedays I may struggle through my work-outs (weights anyway) I usually feel better afterwards about 90% of the time and today is no different. It pains me (mentally) to only be deadlifting 95b's, I should be able to do double that! Good thing my trainer is being conservative and keeps me grounded otherwise I'd probably hurt myself trying to do more than I should. Transitions seem to be the worst for me so asked him for my next 4 week program to try and minimize the getting up and off the floor and see how that goes. Upper Body I seem to be able to do more normal weight loads as long as I put a plate or bench to raise my feet up to take the pressure off my lower back/SI during bench press. The dumbbells are starting to get two heavy and bother my hip getting into position so will either need to move to barbell bench or they are going to have to start helping me get into position with the weights. We talked about that too. Next workout will be Friday.

I have physical therapy later this afternoon. Always look forward to the massage (painful usually but a good kind of hurt) and some electro stimulation (aaahhhhhh) always feels good.

Tomorrow I see the D.O./Physiatrist for next adjustment or whatever it is he does. I really can't describe it but it's not like a chiropractor adjustment but more like some wacky positions holding and releasing a stretch kind of thing. I always feel different afterwards, like better and that is how I am supposed to feel, however I haven't experienced much staying power beyond 3-4 day's. Hoping that will improve with each adjustment. Tomorrow will be my 3rd appointment.

Have a great day everyone!
Unread 02-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Following your report.

49 yo here but a longer way to go than yours...
my curtent stats:
6'0''; 277,6 lb; 44,8' waist; 46,6'' hips; 27 < BF < 32%
Unread 02-06-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear1968 View Post
Following your report.

49 yo here but a longer way to go than yours...
my curtent stats:
6'0''; 277,6 lb; 44,8' waist; 46,6'' hips; 27 < BF < 32%
Welcome BrownBear. We all start somewhere. Found your thread and subscribed. It's always nice to have words of encouragement from others to keep us motivated. Wishing you the best of luck in your journey!
Unread 02-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Day 3 Results

Another good loss today. Weight = 176.6 (-1.4, -4.6)

Tonight, Day 4, will be my fist free meal with this new round of RFL. Planning a steak salad. I have some avocado and a sweet potato I need to use up. The avocado I figured would go well in a salad. The sweet potato I will eat separately. Also got a banana for something a little sweeter afterwards. I was originally going to cook some rice which would still go well with the above but I have been struggling to eat vegetables so decided to go with salad instead. I might have some oatmeal with the banana for a few extra carbs.

Past is Prologue. Not sure how many have heard this saying before but yesterday I read all of my previous logs from my last RFL journey in 2013-14...all 17 pages. I am glad I read it. I actually did well. I stuck to it with minimal slip up's and persevered even when my body wasn't releasing the weight. I was focused and motivated and positive. So it was really a good reminder that I can do this and if the past is a good indication of the future this round of RFL will be just as successful. I just need to keep my thoughts and mood in check surrounding my nagging hip issue. In one of my logs I wrote about deadlifting 225b's and bench of 135b's. UGH...how far I have fallen...that trainer was great thou...really knew how to push me to do more than I thought I could. These day's I sometimes feel like I'm being babied in the gym but yet is it me babying myself and using it as an excuse to not have to work as hard? Has my frustration over the past 3 years soured me? Well I am hoping that if subconsciously it has that this round of RFL will get me back on track and in the right frame of mind to kick this thing down the road. Reading my historical log I really believe by logging on the forum helped me be more successful and stay on track than if I hadn't. I think taking the time to reflect on where we have been and where we want to go can keep us going in the right direction and logging on this site was a great way to do that...not to mention the support from other loggers to help pick myself back up when I'd fallen and reinforce the successes.

If you are a stalker of the forum and haven't decided to take the plunge to log your journey, I encourage you to do so. Support comes in many ways but when doing a diet like RFL it is hard to find support from others who are not able to understand outside those who are experiencing the same thing.

Good Luck to everyone on their journey!
Unread 02-07-2017, 11:01 AM

Default Goals

I just realized I haven't really set any goals in my log or what my strategy is.

I am only in the New England area until June and then move back to Idaho. On the way back by parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary so I'd like to be slimmed down in time for that to the tune of about 20b's lighter (low 160's). Ultimately I'd like to get down to 145 lb's (a couple lbs below my previous lowest RFL weight) which I know I will be very comfortable with as a long term weight to maintain and will then evaluate from there if I really still desire to compete in a figure competition...probably will depend on my hip and ability to train.

Now, another thing I learned from reading my old log is that setting a goal and achieving it are two different things as my body seems to have a say in that separate from my brain so as long as my progress is in the right direction and am seeing actual body composition changes I will be happy with the result regardless of how fast the fat falls off.

Last time I also made the habit of setting mini goals and focused on achieving those, one at a time, rather than on one big goal so I will implement that strategy again here. So my first mini goal, is to get below 180lb's.....well looky there guess I already achieved that ...ok still need to make sure it sticks after tonight's free meal but the next mini goal is to get under 170 lb's.

This first round as a CAT 3 I plan to go for 8 weeks and then take a 2-3 week diet break before another round.
Unread 02-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Following your progress I always remind myself that even on the days when I feel like progress seems slow, we are not losing a bunch or weight here, we are losing FAT
Unread 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Following your progress I always remind myself that even on the days when I feel like progress seems slow, we are not losing a bunch or weight here, we are losing FAT
That is an awesome reminder and perspective to keep. Thanks Mag!
Unread 02-08-2017, 06:33 AM

Whereabouts in Idaho?