BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM

The point is

(A) elite athletes have better genetics

(B) elite athletes train full time.

(C) It's not like they're giving a nine month meal plan and training plan to their interviewer. Usually it will be like "I did this thing that worked" without any specifics or time frame.

(D) Both GSP and Herschel Walker have been hit in the head repeatedly.

If you like intermittent fasting, try it out, but there's not really any good evidence that works some kind of special magic. There are also huge self-selection issues with anyone doing a diet successfully. The people who stick on things (training/exercise) are likely to be the ones for whom it works. there could be twenty other people for whom it was a failure and they're not out there evangelizing.
Unread 06-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
You really can't trust what any famous person says about their diet and training.

Walker claims to do a bodyweight only routine in the morning and not eat until dinner where his food is mostly bread, soups, and salad. He also claims to only sleep five hours.

This guy is 6'1 and ~225lbs, he has to be burning ATLEAST 4000 a day (or even 5000 with this training). You may say that nutrient timing doesn't matter much but in this case you cannot convince me that training in the morning and not eating until dinner is conducive to muscle growth.
It's all in the IFing magic voodoo that Martin constantly goes on about without any science.
Unread 06-04-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Well I know this is different but George's St Pierre, one of the best MMA fighters of all time and an all around lean and muscular guy, said that he has gained muscle and lost fat while maintaining weight over the past five months from intermittent fasting. He said that he had his muscle and body fat analyzed in January and a few weeks ago showing this improvement. He said his training didn't change. He also said that he does a lot of his training fasted and eats afterward. Not exactly the same as he seems to just have an eating window each day, but still interesting, especially with his fasted training.
Yeah I saw this interview (assume you're talking about when he was on Joe Rogan's podcast).

Alternate day fasting or intermittent fasting is fine. I've had great luck with it in the past. I did the ERFL protocol with intermittent fasting also (I think its the only way to do this without wanting to die IMO).

I referring to the long periods someone was discussing above me (multiple weeks/months) in my previous post sorry.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-04-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
So professional athlete, chances that he is natty is between nun and zero.

FWIW I actually believe GSP is natty. He's always been a giant advocate of stricter testing and he looks exactly the same pre and post USADA.

I really believe he's got some of the most elite genetics imaginable. And I don't give hardly anyone the benefit of the doubt.

If he's doping then he's using some serious cutting edge stuff because he doesn't seem at all concerned about getting caught. He actually left the UFC because he was so mad he got beat by a fighter who was clearly on PED's and is now a complete washout since they introduced PED testing.

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 06-06-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
Maybe. Some people argue fasting can improve muscle growth because of his effects on human growth hormone. Most studies done on it still leave room for doubt. Below are some other studies done if you are still curious:

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/10.12..._pub%3Dpubmed&

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
Theoretically, fasting may have a protein sparing effect, as the deeper one gets into a fast more fat is oxidized relative to nitrogen.

However, some (could be minimal) muscle is lost when dieting. Nitrogen (protein) oxidation, also, increases at lower levels of body fat.

An important question could be how much nitrogen and fat are oxidized during large deficits like 24-hour fasts versus smaller deficits over longer time periods.
Which is superior? Is it individual dependent, etc?

Not sure here. Does anyone have evidence? Anecdotally, for some it is easier to have a few large diet days vs. dieting pretty much everyday. That, however, becomes a diet fitting the dieter and not a question of protein soaring effects or not of fasting.
Unread 06-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
Theoretically, fasting may have a protein sparing effect, as the deeper one gets into a fast more fat is oxidized relative to nitrogen.

However, some (could be minimal) muscle is lost when dieting. Nitrogen (protein) oxidation, also, increases at lower levels of body fat.

An important question could be how much nitrogen and fat are oxidized during large deficits like 24-hour fasts versus smaller deficits over longer time periods.
Which is superior? Is it individual dependent, etc?

Not sure here. Does anyone have evidence? Anecdotally, for some it is easier to have a few large diet days vs. dieting pretty much everyday. That, however, becomes a diet fitting the dieter and not a question of protein soaring effects or not of fasting.

I dont have the answer to your question. Intuitively , my initial thought is that large deficits on a few days would have larger protein sparing effects becayse your body would be like "hey we need energy today, burn the fat stores"

Whereas if you kept going to the well everyday over a long time period your body would say "Hey, we might be carrying around a little more muscle than we need"

But that's just my initial guess based on a lot of the stuff I've read on Lyle's website thats framed my way of thinking.

In a simiar vein
I do remember there being a thread where there was a thought that you could only burn so many calories via exercise per day from stored body fat. I don't recall the calculations.... it was like 25-30 calories per pound of body fat... I just recall that I calculated mine at like 600-700 per day and ever since then I have been careful not to exceed 500-700 calories or so per day via exercise for the most part.

Note: I dont think this is necessarily the case for a diet like ERFL where its only 4 days. This is more like an an exercise plan where you burn tons of calories day after day after day. Just looking at the body types we see in amateur marathoners and such I think its pretty possible that study had some validity. I wish I could find it but I dont recall what type of thread it was in. It would have been last year on this site though

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-07-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: a
Unread 06-16-2018, 04:43 AM

Fasting increase Epinephrine and Norepinephrine levels and reduce insulin levels, which increase fat oxidation relative to protein breakdown.
Unread 06-17-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenty View Post
Fasting increase Epinephrine and Norepinephrine levels and reduce insulin levels, which increase fat oxidation relative to protein breakdown.
Nice answer. Unbiased and Concise with key facts.
Unread 06-17-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenty View Post
Nice answer. Unbiased and Concise with key facts.