BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-21-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhertz View Post
Indeed!

Personally, I love animals, and actually agree upon this ideology PROVIDED that we don't miss anything and that we can achieve the goals we wan't. If we cannot do that, or it inhibits our health, or just too much of a "burden" for everyday life, then I DON'T think that ideology is justified. If it is solely a matter of taste, that we're killing these animals, then I think vegans have a point.

However, there ARE issues with veganism it seems, health-wise and otherwise, so it's not just a matter of taste.

Personally, I can't stand veggies and fruit, and love meat, so would also have it hard going vegan. Also, if you've ever seen videos of how cows/chickens are often handled during this industry, then it's horrible to see, unless you're pretty cold-hearted imho.
I think ultimately it's impossible to really eat anything without that coming at the cost of something elses life somewhere along the way; for your food to be grown land was cleared, things killed either due to falling under the 'pest' category or during the harvesting of it. Unless you plan on growing ALL your own food (with fertiliser that didn't consist of animal products) - a highly unrealistic scenario - you're screwed. We all draw lines in the sand somewhere; any vegan claiming their diet is devoid of animal suffering is either in denial or ignorant of the reality of the natural world. It's usually painted in black and white terms too, but in terms of the environment buying locally produced meat would surely be better over having your goji berries imported from halfway around the world. Similarly vegans always concentrate on the land/resources required for animals v.s. plants but don't take into consideration how it works in terms of land/resources per calorie.

I'm similar to you, I'm still an omnivore but mainly because getting a nutritionally complete diet as a vegan seems to involve a lot of planning and complication with supplementation/health-checking etc that would be extremely impractical.

Lately am trying to reduce my meat intake and have made sure for a while things like the chicken or eggs I buy weren't battery farmed - which as I'm from the UK is generally easy - and I don't really eat much lamb (or veal) because I'd rather eat something that had a bit more of a life before being slaughtered.

I'd be happy to switch to lab-grown meat when it's a viable option in terms of cost and palatability, and keep tabs on what's going on with the insect protein world too (things like 3D-printed cricket flour protein candy).
Unread 04-21-2018, 03:09 PM

Ziltoid, thank you for your reply! I agree with your reasoning and you raise good points. I believe vegans try to as much as possible to avoid killing sentient life i.e. animals that can feel compassion and such things, but still, your points are valid, also of course in other points of yours. Thanks again!
Unread 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Meat is the best source of the most well absorbed forms of zinc and iron, along with being primary sources of B12

Take them out and you risk deficiency of all three.
Lyle, what if you were to supplement zinc, iron and B12, would a vegan diet then be healthy, or would it be unhealthy because the supplements don't get absorbed as well as the vitamins from meat?
Unread 06-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyLifting145 View Post
Lyle, what if you were to supplement zinc, iron and B12, would a vegan diet then be healthy, or would it be unhealthy because the supplements don't get absorbed as well as the vitamins from meat?
I don't care. Trying to band aid an inherently deficient diet like this is missing the point completely. There aer also endless cofactors IN FOOD IN MEAT that improve absorption.